FM of the Year 2007
10,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Name: Romelu Lukaku
Birthdate: May 13, 1993
Height: 193 cm
Club: RSC Anderlecht
Position: Striker

Made his debut for RSC Anderlecht in one of last years test games against Standard (May 24) right after turning 16. That was already a huge sign on the wall, as Anderlecht rarely gives their own youth chances, unless they are real class acts. Lukaku is such a class act, which he proves this season. He played 266 minutes so far, scoring already 3 goals. Last Thursday he came in and scored the winning goal, today he started and scored the only goal of the game.

He's strong, has technique, has pace and a huge acceleration. His main working point seems to be his heading. He really makes me think of Didier Drogba when I see him play.

Above his qualities as a player he's also a smart guy. He decided to stay at Anderlecht instead of moving to Chelsea or Real Madrid last year, when he had the chance to move to several big clubs. He wants to finish his school first and prove something in Belgium before leaving.

He's a real joy to watch being an Anderlecht fan :thumbsup:

·
FM of the Year 2007
10,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could he play for Belgium (where's he from)?
He's been born in Boom (Belgium) and made already his debut for the U21 squad, in which he scored immediately :strong:

·
Registered
44,361 Posts
Well, I knew you'd start hyping him as soon as I saw that he had scored against Germinal Beerschot this weekend :D

·
FM of the Year 2007
10,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I knew you'd start hyping him as soon as I saw that he had scored against Germinal Beerschot this weekend :D
If Lukaku turns out to be just a hype within the next two years, I leave XT forever

·
Registered
44,361 Posts
I agree mate, his overhead-kick tonight against Ajax was something special, shame it got saved by Steek. He's been looking good on a consistent basis since I first saw him against Standard last season and I've always admired coaches who're prepared to give young players a chance to play. You don't really think Lukaku is born 1993, incredible :thumbsup:

·
Banned
9,210 Posts
Quite the player but lets remember that his physique is very mature at such a young age. Lets see if he can progress in the future. For now he looks like the future Drogba to me ;)

·
Registered
7,326 Posts
He doesn't look anything like 16 years of age. What's more shocking is the fact that his birthday is in the middle of May...waaay long from now before he turns 17 and he's already scored 3 goals in 6 games for Anderlecht in Jupiler League, and assisted a goal in 2 games for Anderlecht in Europa League. For Belgium U21, he's scored 1 goal in 2 games. I'm completely positive he's probably one of the top 10 most promising youngsters today.

·
FM of the Year 2007
10,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
New Lamptey. He surely ain't 16.
He's born in Belgium. You may think we are 50 years behind Holland, but we don't fool with dates of birth ;)

To be the new Lamptey he's way too down to earth. On contrary to Lamptey himself ...

·
Registered
44,361 Posts

·
FM of the Year 2007
10,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
WENGER SENDS ADAMS TO SCOUT ANDERLECHT'S LUKAKU
The globe trotting adventures of Arsenal’s newly appointed scout Tony Adams continued over the weekend as he made the trip to Belgium to watch RSC Anderlecht at their Constant Vanden Stock Stadium.

He was present to make checks on exciting striker Romelu Lukaku who turned out for the home side. The 16-year-old 6 foot 3 inch striker posses a lethal strike rate at youth level and he’s now showing that form on a bigger stage. Four goals from seven fixtures for the Brussels based outfit has seen Lukaku become one of the most talked about prospects in his home land.

Lukaku, despite his tender age, is much travelled but performed notably for his former employers FC Brussels. 68 goals in 68 games for their youth team brought the attention of giants Anderlecht, and Romelu continued his exploits after penning a contract with them. 121 goals in 88 fixtures for the B team saw him promoted into the first team.

A current Belgian Under 21 International, the forward, who isn’t 17 until May, scored on his international debut against Slovenia. Lukaku will continue to represent Belgium despite being of Congo descent. The player’s family have issued a firm ‘hands off’ warning stating Romelu will stay with Anderlecht until he is at least 18, but with his rapid goal scoring rate there will be a real struggle to keep him away from the leading lights of European football.

Adams was reported to have been very impressed and will no doubt be making further checks on the striker in the coming weeks.

1 - 20 of 137 Posts