Xtratime Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Brazil coach Luiz Felipe Scolari has ended Romario's hopes of a World Cup call-up once and for all by excluding the veteran striker from his squad to face Portugal in a friendly on April 17 at Sporting's Alvalade stadium.

The Portugal clash is Brazil's last friendly before the World Cup and Romario needed to make the squad to stand any chance of going to the tournament.

The 36-year-old made a tearful plea to be included last week but Scolari has now made his intentions clear.

"I appreciate Romario's willingness but every other player wants to go to Japan and South Korea too," the coach said. "I will make no further comment on the presence or otherwise of any player on this list."

Other notable absentees - now certain to miss out on the 23-man World Cup party bariing injuries to other players - are Flamengo defender Juan and Corinthians midfielder Vampeta.

Romario has been overlooked by Big Phil since last June's Copa America, when the Vasco da Gama star used an eye-operation he never had as an excuse to miss the tournament.

Scolari insisted on various occasions that he has no quarrel with Brazilian football's ageing golden boy and even opened the door to a return after the failure of Edilson, Luizao, Marcelinho and Ronaldinho in World Cup qualifiers.

But Scolari wanted younger, less opinionated and disruptive players with him in Asia.

The 1994 World Cup winner, top scorer in last season's Campeonato Brasileiro, was recently voted the world's most effective striker by the International Federation of Football History and Statistics.

He has a better goal-average than even Sporting forward Mario Jardel - another controversial absentee from Scolari's squad - and Celtic star Henrik Larsson.

Brazil squad

Goalkeepers: Marcos (Palmeiras), Rogerio Ceni (Sao Paulo)

Defenders: Paulo Cesar (Fluminense), Anderson Polga (Gremio), Cafu (Roma), Roberto Carlos (Real Madrid), Junior (Parma), Lucio (Bayer Leverkusen), Roque Junior (AC Milan), Edmilson (Lyon)

Midfielders: Gilberto Silva (Atletico Mineiro), Kleberson (Atletico Paranaense), Juninho (Flamengo), Emerson (Roma), Djalminha (Deportivo La Coruna), Denilson (Real Betis), Ronaldinho (Paris-SG), Rivaldo (Barcelona)

Forwards: Edilson (Cruzeiro), Euller (Vasco da Gama), Luizao (Gremio), Ronaldo (Internazionale)

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
no vampeta??? juan?? amo??

·
Registered
15,733 Posts
Well there you go.......what to do, eh?

Lets just hope that with whatever Scolari decides, it can work out as well as possible when it comes to playing in Japan/S.Korea.

I'm angry about the fact that it looks like Romario is not going, but it's kinda what you have to expect from a stubborn man like Scolari.......

To make things worse, Juan cant go too. Dammit. We could do with him partnering Lucio in defense.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
World Cup is a little more than month away and we don't even have world cup team ready yet.

·
Canonized
37,734 Posts
Romario stil has chances.
As Luizao and Ronald have had many injuries the past years, it is very probable that one of them will get injured!

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
It ain't over till the fat lady sings...and that means untill Scolari "the fat lady" starts singing the 23 man list on May 2 if Romario's name isn't on it! :eek:

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ze da Fiel said:
Romario stil has chances.
As Luizao and Ronald have had many injuries the past years, it is very probable that one of them will get injured!
Ze,
thats a very long shot,I am starting to accept the fact that Romario is not going.But I will patiently wait till May 2nd and then I will put a bounty on Scolari's head,Dead or Alive.

·
Registered
13 Posts
may be Scolari would have liked to use Romario as some sort of a 'super sub' during this 2002 world cup

but Romario won't sit on the bench without trouble

and so Scolari's rationale for excluding Romario could be as follows:

- i can't make him play from the start because he's 36 years old and won't last a whole match (with possible extra time)

- i can't make him sit on the bench because he will rock the boat and distract the squad.

but really Romario should be in the starting line up because:

- he deserves it on merits according to his current form ... prejudice against his age must be resisted.

- it's not as if Brazil currently has a fixed team that is tried and tested and delivering great results and performances without Romario.

and i don't think he's out because some players don't want him ... no coach would accept that, even Scolari!

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
There`s no justys in the world!:mad:

BTW, Patrick, how`s life in Rio?:)

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
It's great! :D

No really, I live in Miami..Florida just like Ze da fiel over here.. I just am bored so I put Rio. ;)

·
Canonized
37,734 Posts
Patrick,
Common, Miami may not be up to rio's qulaity in enjoyment but it's a brilliant place to live!;)

I really like this city, whatever day you want you can go out and party and meet cool people!;) :cool:

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Well, i'm 13 so i can't go into the clubs Ze. :D

Makes you think twice eh? ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts