Xtratime Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
94,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Traffic Brasil...of course the owners of the Miami FC .... are admitting in the Miami Herald (The spanish edition) this AM the possibility of having Romario join the ranks of the S Fl squad !!!!
An offer has been formally made to Romario thrugh his agent...At this poinmt the people with Traffic await a response from the former world cupper.....

Mmmmmm and with Barros Schelotto joining the Islanders of Puerto Rico....The league might turn out to be more interesting that I ever xpected it to be !!!!!!

:cap:

z LINK: http://www.miami.com/mld/elnuevo/sports/14154852.htm

·
94,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I know Germany Vs USA its prime topic....but doesnt anyone care about the bombshell of the day ???? :dielaugh:

·
94,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If this becomes a reality.....wow ...... what a push for ALL of american soccer....Imagine all the other old farts we can bring from all over the world to help the 2nd league !!!! :cap:

·
94,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Football: Romario jouera pour le Miami FC la saison prochaine

AP | 30.03.06 | 17:18

SAO PAULO (AP) -- Romario a accepté de signer un contrat avec le Miami FC, un club évoluant en United Soccer League, le championnat de football nord-américain de deuxième division.
Le vétéran de 40 ans, vainqueur de la Coupe du monde avec le Brésil en 1994, rejoindra l'équipe du Miami FC pour sa première saison en USL, ont annoncé mardi le journal "O Globo" et d'autres représentants de la presse brésilienne.
Le Miami FC est détenu par l'entreprise brésilienne Traffic Sports, qui entretiendrait de bonnes relations avec Romario.
L'équipe avait déjà annoncé avoir engagé le milieu brésilien Zinho, qui jouait avec Romario dans l'équipe du Brésil de 1994. Miami, entraîné par le Brésilien Chiquinho de Assis, a également recruté le Jamaïcain Onandi Lowe, qui a disputé la Coupe du monde 1998 en France.
Romario est sous contrat avec le quadruple champion du Brésil Vasco jusqu'à la fin de l'année 2006. AP

·
94,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As usual ....... I had the bomb a week B4 the rest of the world knew !!!!!! :D

·
94,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Report: Romario to play for Miami FC in United Soccer League

Thursday Mar 30, 2006

SAO PAULO, Brazil (AP) - Romario has reportedly agreed to play for the Miami franchise in the United Soccer League, the second-highest level of professional soccer in the United States.

The veteran striker, who helped Brazil to win the 1994 World Cup in the United States, will join Miami FC for the team's inaugural season in the USL, O Globo newspaper and other Brazilian media reported Thursday.

The 40-year-old was expected to officially announce the move at a news conference scheduled for 1900 GMT Thursday in Rio de Janeiro.

Details on the transaction were not immediately available. Miami FC is owned by Brazilian company Traffic Sports, which reportedly has a close relationship with Romario.

Miami FC had already announced the signing of Brazilian midfielder Zinho, who played alongside Romario on Brazil's 1994 team. The club, coached by Brazilian Chiquinho de Assis, has also acquired Jamaica's Onandi Lowe, a veteran of the 1998 World Cup in France.

Romario has a contract with four-time Brazilian champion Vasco until the end of 2006, but he hasn't showed up at the club since March 15, when Vasco lost 2-0 to minnow Cabofriense and was virtually eliminated from the Rio de Janeiro state championship.

Romario met with Vasco president Eurico Miranda on Wednesday to discuss his situation, but no decision was announced after the meeting.

Local media said Romario could return to Vasco in the second semester, when the club plays the tough Brazilian league.

The striker is 36 short of his 1,000th career goal. He surprised commentators and fans by topping the scoring charts in the Brazilian league with 22 goals.

The USL's first division, the highest level of professional soccer below Major League Soccer, includes teams in Montreal, Vancouver, Toronto, Atlanta, Portland and Minnesota.

Miami FC will host its first regular season match against the Montreal Impact on April 23.

·
Registered
11,296 Posts
oh i thought this was an MLS team... hmmm now how on earth am i gonna see him play again.. i was watching his games on cable when he was in Brazil... you guys on USA are lucky to see this guy play.

if it were up to me i'd put him back in Fc barcelona.. at least we wouldnt waste one on ones against benfica ;)

·
94,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
With Traffic owning the Miami FC...We're going 2 see a team that will be succesfull on its inagural season...guaranteed !!! :D

·
94,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
szövkap said:
how old is romário now? 44?

The 40-year-old striker, who claims to have scored 964 goals, stood with his arms folded and refused to comment as Vasco president Eurico Miranda made the announcement during a media conference.

·
94,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
BLAQUEST said:
2nd division lol
And I feel this will open the flood gates to other older, semi-retired latin american players..... remember me..... :cap:

·
94,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Romario happy to join Miami FC

MIAMI (AP) - Romario is one of the greatest goalscorers in soccer history. Miami FC is an expansion team in the second division of U.S. soccer.

And the Brazilian star says the two are perfect for one another.

"I don't worry about what other people think," Romario said. "I am happy with my decision."

Miami FC, which will begin play in the 12-team United Soccer League first division on April 23, formally introduced Brazil's 1994 World Cup hero to South Florida on Friday. The 40-year-old Romario will be in the lineup when Miami opens its season against the Montreal Impact.

The USL is the second-highest level of professional soccer in the U.S. behind Major League Soccer.

"This is going to be the last opportunity of my career to play for a team outside my country," Romario said during a news conference at Tropical Park, where Miami will play its home matches.

For a player of Romario's stature, the shift to a league composed primarily of undeveloped players after he graced the fields of Brazil, Spain and the Netherlands, seems peculiar at this stage of his career.

Yet Romario is content with the move, even after leading the Brazilian national championship with 22 goals last season. And so are Brazil's fans, according to Miami F.C. president Julio Mariz, who negotiated with Romario for several weeks before reaching a deal late last week.

"The people came to the conclusion that it would be an important change for him," Mariz said.

Romario reportedly has 964 career goals, and there is speculation that he'll return to the Brazilian club Vasco da Gama if he nears the 1,000-goal milestone this season.

"Today I have nothing else with Vasco, my contract is with Miami," Romario said. "I come here with two purposes - to help the team win and to be a goal scorer."

While in Miami, Romario will find the obvious contrasts between soccer-passionate fans at Brazil's 150,000-seat Maracana Stadium and Tropical Park, which features two open bleachers and seats only 7,000.

"I don't like to talk about the past," Romario said. "I am sure the team here in Miami will be dedicated to win every game. And perhaps on this field, I will also score memorable goals."

His new teammates, many of whom were in early grade school when Romario began his career, expect a smooth adjustment playing alongside the superstar.

"How can you not want him as a teammate?" goalkeeper Chris Doyle said. "At first there might be some awe that he is your teammate. But we will get over that and will benefit from his presence on the team. The greatest players make the players around them better."

1 - 15 of 15 Posts