Xtratime Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Goalies: Stelea (Salamanca), Lobont (Ajax), Prunea (Universitatea Craiova).

Defenders: Contra (Alaves), Dan Petrescu (Chelsea), Gh. Popescu (Galatasaray), Filipescu (Betis), Ciobotariu (Standard Liege), Belodedici, Miu (both from Steaua Bucuresti), Nanu (Vitesse Arnhem), Chivu (Ajax).

Midfielders: Fl. Petre, Hildan, Lupescu (all from Dinamo Bucuresti), Maldarasanu (Rapid), Gilca (Espanyol), Lincar, Rosu (both from Steaua Bucuresti), D. Munteanu (VfL Wolfsburg), C. Munteanu (Salamanca), Hagi (Galatasaray).

Attackers: Moldovan (Fenerbahce), Mutu (Inter Milano), A. Ilie (Valencia), Ganea (VfB Stuttgart).

Notes: Look for Ovidiu Sabau of Rapid Bucuresti to be on the final Euro 2000 squad. He is a strong and experienced player and was guaranteed a place in the Euro2000 squad by Ienei a couple of months ago. Also, look for Niculae to be named to the squad if someone is out of form or injured.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Belodedici- long time I've not seen him I believe. Is Lupescu the one that I saw in USA'94?
The others are famous enough for me. :)
Go Romania :eek:

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
giani: Yes, Lupescu was in WC94.

chivu: Hmm, I am pretty sure Miu, Belodedici, Catalin Munteanu and Maldarasanu will all get cut from the final squad.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Eh, EclipsE, I just opened the newspapers, one of them started the presentations of the Euro team with you guess who...Romania :D . Anyway, I've just read Hagi wants his last match to be the final in Roterdam :) , he deserves his wish to come true.

·
International
9,682 Posts
EclipsE,
It seems Sabau will miss Euro2000 due to an injury.
Miu has pretty good chanches to stay because Jenei says that he is a polivalent def and can play on every side.

I am surprised about Belo. But I think he won't play in EURO2000.

Also, only three players won't make it from your list.

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Where the hell is STINGA? I feel REALLY surprised that a player like him has no place in there!!! this is unbelieable! has PSV ruined his career SO much?

Who is this Hildan guy? is he good?

Belodedici was definitely a surprise.BUT I think he will escape the cut.You dont call a legend like him only to cut him later.I think he has a guarandeed place.He wouldnt accept the call if he hadnt discussed with the coach before anyway.

Am I missing one Popescu in there? has the ex-Valencia man lost his place?

------------------
Any given Sunday,you either win or loose.That's FOOTBALL...

·
Registered
14,672 Posts
i read on another site selymes and stoica were in the selction to. is this a mistake?

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
AMOROSO!:To answer all your questions let's start first with Stinga. He is not on the national team because Galca is a much better player than him at that position. Second Galca's replacement is a very promising youngster who impressed Ienei named Erik Lincar. I think Ienei didn't include Stinga because he feels more confidence in the youngster. And I don't know about PSV ruining his career or anything, I don't follow the Dutch League. Also, I don't think Lincar will play much because Galca goes 90 minutes and he doesn't get injured much anyway. :)

About Hildan, he is a very talented midfielder with a high work ethic who has had a great season at Dinamo Bucuresti. The coaching staff has been impressed by his performances. He played against Greece, I don't know if you remember.

I have a feeling Belo won't be on the squad, there is other defenders in way better form then him right now. But then again experience can be a key. This one is up in the air :eek:

Lastly AMOROSO!, Gabriel Popescu is no where near the player Valencia once signed. He has diminished dramatically. He even moved back to Dinamo Bucuresti this season in order to "spark" his career again so to say. And he has been disappoining even in the Romanian League. And that's not easy to do ;)

Hope this clears some things up for ya :)

------------------------------------------

gOD: You might be right about Selymes coming along for the trip, but he is in the same boat as Belodedici. Even if he comes he will be a spectator unless a miracle happens, and 3 of our defensemen are out with injuries or suspensions. And your favorite, Stoica has very very low odds of making the final squad. Catalin Munteanu is one step ahead of him. The good news is he is 21 and he's got lots of tournments to go :)

·
Xtratime Allstar
9,820 Posts
ganea and mutu are very strong forwards
but i wonder why romania always has the same keepers,first time i saw stelea was in the wc 1990,and he's still the first choise.
lucescu is back and he was a great player i remember him from wc 1994.

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
Since this topic has been brought up...
EclipsE, do you know the whereabouts of ex-Romania national defender, Gheorghe Mihali? Last time I heard he was with the French Club Guingamp but no new of him ever since. Has he retired et? Or...?
Anyone has information about him?

Forza Lazio
Serie A Champions, Coppa Italia Winners 1999/2000

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
does anyone know the name for the steaua buchurest goalkeeper?

i saw him play against west ham united and he was great...how about giving him a call up.

·
Registered
23,835 Posts
Have they recorded a song? Cause I saw something on German TV that looked like they were recording a song.

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
gosh what is this 10 questions or something??

Ok I'll go in decending order...

nastynick: Stelea was not the #1 in WC 94 it was Prunea (he's around still)... and I guess the reason you keep seeing these goalies is because they are reliable and we don't produce many goalies in Romania, until now with Lobont!

Nedved!: Mihali is with current Romanian champions Dinamo Bucuresti.

argentina: The goalie you are thinking of is Zoltan Ritili. He is a good goalie, sometimes great as you saw, but he is injured at the moment I think because I haven't heard anything from him. But he wouldn't play at all anyway, because Lobont and Stelea going down at the same time is VERY unlikely.

chivu: Has who recorded a song?

[This message has been edited by EclipsE (edited 21-05-2000).]

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't think so, I haven't read or heard anything about it. It would be funny to hear Hagi sing though :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts