Xtratime Community banner
1 - 20 of 426 Posts

·
Registered
70,707 Posts

His titles as coach:

- 7 League titles (2 in Romania, 2 in Turkey, 3 in Ukraine)

- 3 Cups (2 in Romania, 1 in Ukraine)

- 2 SuperCups (both in Ukraine)

- 1 European SuperCup (with Galatasaray)

He reached quarter finals and semifinals of Cup Winners Cup with Dinamo in 1989 and 1990. And he qualified Romania for Euro 84.

As player he won 5 leagues and 1 Cup with Dinamo.

·
Registered
25,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
He does look for excuses when losing, but nobody's perfect. :) Aside of that, he's wise, cultivated, speaks 6+ languages and has a lot of talent.

·
Registered
7,015 Posts
When Ionescu left Craiova, they DID wish him good luck. And he wishes him to become Steaua's playmaker as well. But Balaci is not just an official at Craiova, he's one of the best Romanian footballers of all time and it's for that he is asked his opinion.

·
Registered
23,432 Posts
yeah but when Hagi, considered a bigger player than Balaci, says something its him being stupid :rollani:

·
Registered
7,015 Posts
Hagi is considered a bigger player than Balaci only by those who don't know shit. Everyone who has seen all 3 say the order is
1.Dobrin 2.Balaci 3.Hagi

I don't care about who considers what, Hagi is overrated. If it wasn't for Gica Popescu, Dan Petrescu and an entire generation of great players, Hagi wouldn't have done shit in 1994. (Just like he didn't do shit at Real Madrid). I personally even rate Mutu over Hagi.

·
Registered
23,432 Posts
Hagi is considered a bigger player than Balaci only by those who don't know shit. Everyone who has seen all 3 say the order is
1.Dobrin 2.Balaci 3.Hagi

I don't care about who considers what, Hagi is overrated. If it wasn't for Gica Popescu, Dan Petrescu and an entire generation of great players, Hagi wouldn't have done shit in 1994. (Just like he didn't do shit at Real Madrid). I personally even rate Mutu over Hagi.
taken from romaniansoccer.o
Balaci 347 matches - 84 goals

'National team - 69 matches - 8 goals

Hagi 222 matches - 141 goals

Primera División (Spain) 98 matches - 22 goals
Serie A (Italy) 31 matches - 6 goals
Serie B (Italy) 30 matches - 9 goals
Süper Lig (Turkey) 132 matches - 59 goals

National team - 125 matches - 35 goals

the numbers are speaking for Hagi... he played LESS games in Liga1 than Balaci and scored almost twice as many goals...

Balaci might be the greatest Craiova player ever but he can't compare to Hagi... not in ONE SINGLE aspect

·
Registered
7,015 Posts
Man, not all is about statistics. If you guys want to just believe what you read in the press and on the internet go ahead. I'm talking about people who lived during those times and who have seen all 3 of them. Steaua, Dinamo, Craiova or Arges fans, most agree on that order. Hagi just had the luck that he spent his prime out of communism. I too am part of the Hagi generation, but I've ALWAYS thought he was overrated. He was very gifted with the ball but was dumber than a bat.

Don't forget Balaci retired at 28 and he spent about 2 years before that struggling through injuries. I know to most of you guys Hagi is some sort of hero and it's what got you into Romanian football. And that is what frustrates me the most. I'm not going to say Balaci was more talented than Hagi, because he was just a better team player. But I will say Dobrin was light years more talented.

Romania in 1994 wouldn't have done anything if it was just Hagi and nothing around him. I should also mention, Hagi was utter crap in 98 and 2000. Romania played it's best game against England without Hagi on the pitch. We dominated that entire first half with GP as the captain. As soon as GP got injured, Romania played poorly and then lost to Italy. (Another Hagi brain fart game)

·
Registered
23,432 Posts
Man, not all is about statistics. If you guys want to just believe what you read in the press and on the internet go ahead. I'm talking about people who lived during those times and who have seen all 3 of them. Steaua, Dinamo, Craiova or Arges fans, most agree on that order. Hagi just had the luck that he spent his prime out of communism.

Don't forget Balaci retired at 28. I know to most of you guys Hagi is some sort of hero and it's what got you into Romanian football. And that is what frustrates me the most. I'm not going to say Balaci was more talented than Hagi, because he was just a better team player. But I will say Dobrin was light years more talented.
I didnt state that Balaci was just a mediocre player or something... but Hagi scored way more goals, was more successful even in Romania and he didnt play as forward...

·
Registered
70,707 Posts
Romania in 1994 wouldn't have done anything if it was just Hagi and nothing around him.
And who would? All the genial players need a team around them in order to perform. But Hagi made the difference in that WC.

We´ve talked a lot about a Hagi-Mutu comparisson, but what about a Petrescu-Contra? Probably, Petrescu is a level above Contra overall, but it´s a pity that Contra couldn´t keep the excellent level of his Alaves days. Having done this, Contra would be surely better considered right now.

·
Registered
7,015 Posts
Dobrin had nothing around him. Mostly average players and he took FC Arges to 2 miraculous titles at a time when provincial teams were forbidden to win the title.

Contra ever since he scored that own goal when playing Denmark has not been the same.

·
Registered
17,948 Posts
I should also mention, Hagi was utter crap in 98 and 2000.
Even there you are exaggerating. First of all, notice that he was 33 and 35 in those tournaments. Most legends are out of the picture at that age. In 98, he wasn´t in a good form, but even then he assisted Ilie´s goal against Colombia and Moldovan´s goal against England. Against Tunisia he had a good game. In 2000 he had a very good first game vs Germany and was ok vs Portugal. Against Italy he suffered a heavy attack at the beginning and couldn´t play his best, but even then he almost scored from that fantastic lob that hit the post.

This is just a reminder that even in those tournaments that were obviously not among his best performances, he rarely went unnoticed in a game, specially for the NT.

·
Registered
70,707 Posts
What? In the Germany game they played well, at least in the 1st half where Romania was superior (the 2nd was horrible by both teams) . There was a clear penalty on Ilie that the ref didn´t give. The ref harmed Romania with other bad decisions too.

1 - 20 of 426 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.