Xtratime Community banner

361 - 380 of 412 Posts

·
General Iordanescu
28,507 Posts
I personally liked Hagibest's and Rumaniac's choices of players best in attack... skilled as **** players.

Both with similar drawbacks: not great defenses. Rumaniac with better tactical choices, I agree with GICA that Mutu ain't a typical striker, counted against Hagi (though 4-3-3 works better than the 4-2-3-1 initially thought of)

GICA's team was hard to judge because of the players chosen, but very balanced. I don't really rate Codrea as lone DM: one of the issues I have with the team... I agree with Hagibest though "I got attached to other teams more".

Pele and Virgil with nice defenses. Some objectionable choices on the RM and meh-ish in the other parts, both nice in LM.

Levis with a great attack but mediocre defense outside Radoi.

As for mine? I see what Levis says, probably the strangest choice is Alibec.

·
Registered
16,291 Posts
Hagibest, having Mutu as central striker in a 4-3-3 brought you down in my votes. Why man, why? You have one of the three big Aces of the draft (IMO: Hagi, Popescu and Mutu), give him comfort, place him where he does his best. In the rest I liked your team very much.
Are you saying to use him on the left? Because I guess in that formation it makes sense, the issue is that it wouldn't work well the other players I have (Zicu and Maxim). Maybe I should have just kept my original formation, then.. but I don't think it is so bad or would lack quality attacks. With other players, yeah I should have done that

And thanks, same with you
I tought the same than GICA. Mutu was never a striker. Either on the left or as foward but always with a striker on the center. On the all time draft in pointed that he had his best moments along strikers like Toni, Adriano, Gilardino, Marica...

To me you had to drop either Maxim or Zicu and get a striker (at that oint many good ones were still available). With Florin Andone or Alibec for example I think I would have chosen your teams as first

·
Registered
16,291 Posts
I personally liked Hagibest's and Rumaniac's choices of players best in attack... skilled as **** players.

Both with similar drawbacks: not great defenses. Rumaniac with better tactical choices,

As for mine? I see what Levis says, probably the strangest choice is Alibec.
Thanks.

I could have chosen your team, the problems I had were not with Alibec specifically. I don´t think Alibec and Niculae would work well together tough. All of your attacking 4 are extremely talented players, but: Alibec and Stanciu are still unproven at NT level (maybe just one of them with a more proven player would have worked better for such a draft). Niculae was a huge promise but it seems like his career stopped when he was 20 something. He was at Euro 2008 for example, being only 27, and was a sub of Daniel Niculae...
Regarding Mateut, he seemed very good, IDK why he didn´t have a bigger impact for the NT

On my numbers, your team was even in points with Virgil and Hagi´s in my ranking, with Gica very near in fourth place. But it seemed unfair to me to give first place to your team over others featuring Mutu, Raducioiu, Ganea, Dumitrescu, players who had a much bigger impact for the NT.

But Gica and Hagi´s team, specially, were clearly weaker defensively than yours, so it could go either way

·
Ilie Balaci ❤
10,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #364
I tought the same than GICA. Mutu was never a striker. Either on the left or as foward but always with a striker on the center. On the all time draft in pointed that he had his best moments along strikers like Toni, Adriano, Gilardino, Marica...

To me you had to drop either Maxim or Zicu and get a striker (at that oint many good ones were still available). With Florin Andone or Alibec for example I think I would have chosen your teams as first

That's true.. I never really saw him as a SS but definitely better in a pair.. or left wing like Mitea was, with his dribbling ability too

I screwed up early on then :/ I thought about doing two as well. Damn

·
General Iordanescu
28,507 Posts
Thanks.

I could have chosen your team, the problems I had were not with Alibec specifically. I don´t think Alibec and Niculae would work well together tough. All of your attacking 4 are extremely talented players, but: Alibec and Stanciu are still unproven at NT level (maybe just one of them with a more proven player would have worked better for such a draft). Niculae was a huge promise but it seems like his career stopped when he was 20 something. He was at Euro 2008 for example, being only 27, and was a sub of Daniel Niculae...

On my numbers, your team was even in points with Virgil and Hagi´s in my ranking, with Gica very near in fourth place. But it seemed unfair to me to give first place to your team over others featuring Mutu, Raducioiu, Ganea, Dumitrescu, players who had a much bigger impact for the NT.

But Gica and Hagi´s team, specially, were clearly weaker defensively than yours, so it could go either way
I disagree, I think Alibec and M. Niculae could work just fine together. Aside from being physically strong I don't see them as being similar. But as for the question of who to choose to be more 'proven'... IDK that getting e.g. Catalin Munteanu or Zicu (among the choices) would make much difference tbh. It's a wash.

Ganea vs Niculae is a wash again, IMO. Ganea had more balls, though. In fact, I think that counting eggs-wise, Ganea was among the best Romanian players.

Funny you should mention Dumitrescu though, as he had a quite crap career outside WC94 and retired at 29... ;) Almost as short a career as Mitea ;)

I get it, though: I only have Dorinel from WC94 and that's when you fell in love with the NT. But I think I proved that Romanian players have done well in other generations, too.

I think you were waay too harsh on Pele BTW. What with him taking Petrescu and Belo.

·
Registered
16,291 Posts
I

Ganea vs Niculae is a wash again, IMO. Ganea had more balls, though. In fact, I think that counting eggs-wise, Ganea was among the best Romanian players.

Funny you should mention Dumitrescu though, as he had a quite crap career outside WC94 and retired at 29... ;) Almost as short a career as Mitea ;)

I get it, though: I only have Dorinel from WC94 and that's when you fell in love with the NT. But I think I proved that Romanian players have done well in other generations, too.

I think you were waay too harsh on Pele BTW. What with him taking Petrescu and Belo.
I rate Ganea higher than Niculae. Ganea stood his ground in Germany for many seasons, doing well, while Niculae never reached top football. He was close at Sporting, had a spectacular spell at the NT alongside Ilie but on quaifiers, and after that, very little.

Dumitrescu is a special case. He was superb at the best moment, and was generally very good for the NT, until his very early retirement.

We have to admit Romanian players always had performance problems, either at club or NT. EVen Hagi should have done much, much more clubwise given his talent. For the NT he was his "real" self. Mutu came close to his potential when he stayed out of trouble, both for club and NT. But the cases are rare

When I made my team, I knew Serban may take some votes away, because many may not appreciate his talent if they didn´t see him, but I remember that I was convinced he could help a NT that was dull at the time, featuring the likes of Petre, C. Munteanu, Rosu an old Dorinel, and desperate for some spark in midfield. I also knew Budescu´s choice depends on the opinion of the voter. Like Alibec, he has underperformed in his career, and only recently he seems to be living up to his potential. But I also chose Marica, who, despite his club career, can´t be denied for what he did for the NT, and at least reached a higher level that many other players

In this draft you had players that had a glory moment with the NT at a high level (Dumitrescu, Raducioiu), a good level for long periods in bad times for the NT (Chivu, Mutu, Marica), Players with great club careers but little NT performances (Radu, Craioveanu, Timofte to some extent), players with huge talent but neither of the former (Sanmartean, Mitea, Niculae, Stoica and so on) and many players with a mix of those cathegories. To me, the best team would be the one that combines in the best way these players in order to reflect the talent that was there but also the performances reaches by the players/ teams at the time. Just a thought :D

Regarding Pele´s team, well, it´s a matter of opinion. I don´t rate Nicolita at all and don´t think Rosu is a top offensive choice either (more of a supporting midfielder to more talented choices). Danciu is a domestic legend but never went past spanish second league. Lupu, who I like, Iroincally was pointed as the name that lost me points in the all time draft...
As everyone here knows, I´m a fan of offensive football, not crazy offensive but one based on talented players

·
Registered
16,291 Posts
On second thoughts, maybe I was harsh on Pele, but because I felt sorry for Josedin´s team. It was quite a good team with very good offensive selections (Sabau, Lacatus, Dica, Miriuta and Ghioane can form a top notch team IMO), but maybe some lack of knowledge prevented him from having a very good team. Some better CD, like Ghionea or even Gardos, alongside Contra, and a better tactical postioning, would have been anough to make his team a contender. But in the current form it was obvious everybody was gonna rank him last

·
Registered
69,729 Posts
Baiatule, Dumitrescu qualified Steaua to a European Cup final in 1989. When did Mitea do something similar?

And Mitea is in my team actually :tongue:

2yaWhKXihBo

Legends of the draft deserve a bit more respect.

·
Ilie Balaci ❤
10,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #370
Never, he's a Dinamovist and therefore still training for the Champions League..... Would never play for Steaua. ;)

Makes sense why GICA picked him then, we all know he's a closet Dinamovist :D

·
Ilie Balaci ❤
10,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #372
@JOSEDIN and @NoName missed the deadline for voting. I will tally the results now and post them.

·
Ilie Balaci ❤
10,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #374
Results of the Romanian Draft Game - 90s, 2000s, and 2010s Edition:

1. @forestasuceava - 36 pts
2. @The Rumaniac - 35 pts
3. @virgil - 29 pts
4. @GICA - 25 pts
5. @Hagibest - 23 pts
5. @pele10brazil - 23 pts
7. @levis27 - 15 pts
8. @JOSEDIN - 10 pts

Congrats to @forestasuceava as this draft edition's champion! Also congrats to @The Rumaniac and @virgil for making the podium. Tough competition but deserved.

Thank you all for playing, I hope you will show interest in doing another draft or similar game soon! Perhaps some different eras, region-related, or maybe even one with regards to upcoming youth players

Let me know your thoughts on these topics.
Cheers!

·
Registered
16,291 Posts
Results of the Romanian Draft Game - 90s, 2000s, and 2010s Edition:

1. @forestasuceava - 36 pts
2. @The Rumaniac - 35 pts
3. @virgil - 29 pts
4. @GICA - 25 pts
5. @Hagibest - 23 pts
5. @pele10brazil - 23 pts
7. @levis27 - 15 pts
8. @JOSEDIN - 10 pts

Congrats to @forestasuceava as this draft edition's champion! Also congrats to @The Rumaniac and @virgil for making the podium. Tough competition but deserved.

Thank you all for playing, I hope you will show interest in doing another draft or similar game soon! Perhaps some different eras, region-related, or maybe even one with regards to upcoming youth players

Let me know your thoughts on these topics.
Cheers!
Congrats Foresta. You made some magic after being shafted by the draw again :D

I´d like to read more comments on the teams and why everyone voted the way they did. I think that´s much of the fun of the game. I´ll comment later, specially on the teams I haven´t yet

·
Registered
13,065 Posts
Major thanks to @Hagibest for organising the draft :thumbsup: It was fun :)

·
Registered
13,065 Posts
After the All-Time draft in the history forum I'm itching for a present day draft with active players based on their current form. And with posters from across the forum participating, not just us.

·
General Iordanescu
28,507 Posts
Congrats Foresta. You made some magic after being shafted by the draw again :D

I´d like to read more comments on the teams and why everyone voted the way they did. I think that´s much of the fun of the game. I´ll comment later, specially on the teams I haven´t yet
Thanks... ugh, goddamn random number generators ;)

I'll comment some more tomorrow.

361 - 380 of 412 Posts