Xtratime Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
-romania lost against greece 2-0
they got heavily criticized and put doubt in my head.
-they play cyprus, but only a convincing win will bring some of the respect back.

-they have the easiest warm ups before euro2000...i dont think they are totally challenged by big teams for them to be ready to play 3 big teams.

can romania make past 1st round?
will ienei be fired b4 euro2000?
can the romania squad be as good as germany, england, and portugal?

i am very worried about this issue and i have a feeling im going to be dissapointed in euro2000. I HOPE NOT!

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Don't worry Ilie's gonna be back for the Euro. I also hope Hagi is going to be in a good shape. He is like Maradona for Romania and the Balkans as well. You know such figures combine the whole team around themselves. Anyway, I'm worried only about the left wing (if Gheorghe is gonna play in the center, he would also cover it, but not as well as once). And I believe in Galca and Petrescu, they add up much power to the team.
I do not know whether Dorinel Munteanu is still is as good shape as in the first half of the season, but he also is very good.
And I doubt the friendly matches would show some real quality.
Anyway on France 98 Romania proved at least better than England, and they will do it again. Recently Germany is in a far worse form, so I guess they won't trouble much. I hope Lineker does not turn right again with his words "22 players play in the match and finally Germany wins".

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
speaking of being better than england, do u remeber the game after that? you guys tied tunisia....and lost to croatia....argentina beat croatia, so i would think that you guys are good enough to beat them too, but it was really disapointing when they play bad after a good game...you say germany is in bad form, but dont forget that you have problems too...they play tougher teams and have good results..you guys play cyprus and greece that will not show anything except that you are in trouble after the loss to greece.

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
Their warmups are rather easy, it doesn't help that the Ukranians cancelled their friendly with us either. However, we do play the favorites, Holland, in Amsterdam.

- Romania can make it past the 1st round, as can the other 3 sadly

- Ienei will not be fired before Euro2000, maybe after, if we lose all 3 games.

- Romania is typically better against big teams at these kinds of tournments. They should make it very tough for either Portugal, Germany, England to win against them.

- A side note: before the world cup last year, Romania also played a friendly in Bucuresti against Israel, they lost 2-0. They had all their abroad players as well. So the Greece loss isn't as big as you may think.

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what do you mean that didnt show anything when you guys lost to israel...your only good acomplishment in wc98 was to beat england, a team which everyone enjoys beating. what other good thing was there? are you saying that you would be happy to just pass the first round? that is unacceptable...im expecting romania to make at least semifinals!

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Yeah, Romania plays at tides, and the power here is at motivation, if Hagi succeeds here they'd be fair strong. And recently all of the teams from the Balkans have problems in the national team, I admit it. The problem is there is not much people to choose from as is with Argentina. And the condition of some of the players leads me to wiping. May be it is more proper to build a new team from the youngsters so that Romania would be prepared for WC 2002. There is a ghange of the generations right now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts