Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our somewhat more than slightly busy schedule this week will end up with a tough home game against Sampdoria!!!

Sampdoria showed this week v Juve that they have lots of character and showed they have the team to give a potential upset to one of the big guns!!! Hopefully we are not the team to be upset by them this season!!!

The players to watch from them are mainly the front 2, who look very good playing together and also the midfielder Volpi who has a very good pass on him!!! If Doni is back, then he will be th player to give them that little more creativity they looked to have missed against Juve!!!

As for us, this is another must-win game for us, our form has dropped slightly, but we still got the win v Perugia, here I am hoping to see the Roma of a month or so a go, when we were tearing teams apart 3-0. I dont expect it to be that easy, but I expect us to win by at least a 2 goal margin!!!

Hopefully a couple of defenders should be fit again and hopefully we can field a defence looking like Panucci-Dellas-Chivu, or if Zebina's fit he can play ahead of Dellas!!! Without Samuel it will be alot tougher in defence but hopefully we can keep the ball more anyway, and score a couple at the other end!!!

I predict a 2 goal winning margin to us, maybe 3-1...

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
Im expecting a big game from Totti, after two dissapointing ones from him after the Christmas break. He really needs to stand up.

Hopefully we will line up this way:

Pelizzoli;

Panucci, Chivu, Zebina;

Mancini, Dacourt, Emerson, Lima;

Totti;

Montella, Cassano;

Hopefully Montella will be back and ready to go. We really need his goals in this second half of the season.

·
Registered
13,061 Posts
This match has the potential to be among the most entertaining of the season. You have two very high quality clubs on the pitch w/ about 10 players that can turn the game on its head w/ one stroke. It's sick: Totti, Cassano, Montella, Mancini, Emerson, Flachi, Bazzani, Volpi, Doni, etc.
Our defense is knocked up so I am expecting Totti to take over. Crucial match here. :star:

·
Registered
833 Posts
I dont think our quality dropped slightly. It dropped big time, we were lucky to get our 3 points this sunday and we'll have to be lucky to walk with other 3 points against Sampdoria if we keep it like that. But I was glad that Mancini scored our winning goal yesterday to shut up a bunch of people that sensessly started to cuss him and asking for slow central midfielders or old right backs to take his position. Samuel wont be playing and thats no small deal, our 3 men defence line relies on him, if hes not in we cant play 3 men defence line. Nor Chivu nor no one else in our squad is technical enough to do his job. My team for this game would be:

--------------------Pelizzoli
--Panucci----Dellas-----Chivu----Candela
-------------------Dacourt
-----Mancini----------------DeRossi
---------------------Totti
-----------------Montella----Cassano

wanna try De Rossi as a left half, well trying him in Seedorf's left half/central midfield position first would be wise. And as Emerson was with his arms problemn yesterday (and hell why wasnt he subbed for the second half???) I think benching him today would be the best thing to do. In my vision there is two obvious substitutions that may occur in this formation
Candela for Zebina, and switching Zebina to the left side of the center and Chivu to Candelas place. And De Rossi for Lima is its not quite working. It is also possible to be needed Mancini for Tommasi but its a home game I dont believe we'll need it...

·
Registered
11,399 Posts
De Rossi is not 100% and should not be starting in any Serie A games until he is fully fit. And Tommasi is our most in form midfielder at the moment. He should be starting against Sampdoria. There is no word yet on Chivu or Emerson's availabilty for Sunday. Only thing I have heard is Chivu is definitely out for the Coppa Italia match with Milan.

·
Registered
6,556 Posts
Sampdoria are a quality side and they brought in some quality players this year. Flachi and Bazzani could definetly cause our depleted backline some problems. Samp should of beaten Juve but guess what? They had the ref under their thumb:eek:

·
Registered
7,402 Posts
I don't think, Boomer, that it's a bright idea to change formation all of the sudden...And I really don't think we were that superior earlier this season.

On several occasions we were in the middle of a tough match which could end with victory to both sides, and we were the lucky ones, and got the first or decisive goal. Of course this is a part of being a powerful and determined side. Let me bring up some examples:

-Chievo (They hit the bar. Very open game. Then Totti scored. Huge demoralizing effect on Chievo's players.
-Inter (How did Vieri miss that chance in injurytime?)
-Juventus (Honestly, they were the better side, but obviously football is not about producing more chances, it's about scoring on the ones you have)

Imagine if all these factors were against us like they were last year....The moral of the team would have been drastically opposite, and the league form would be a crisis.

I expect a little turmoil after this post, but it shouldn't really..
I still mean we are playing fantastic this season. Just not with the same consistency as Juventus had last season.

Btw, what is wrong with Chivu? He seems to get injured all the time!

·
Registered
11,399 Posts
FrancescoTotti said:
I don't think, Boomer, that it's a bright idea to change formation all of the sudden...And I really don't think we were that superior earlier this season.

On several occasions we were in the middle of a tough match which could end with victory to both sides, and we were the lucky ones, and got the first or decisive goal. Of course this is a part of being a powerful and determined side. Let me bring up some examples:

-Chievo (They hit the bar. Very open game. Then Totti scored. Huge demoralizing effect on Chievo's players.
-Inter (How did Vieri miss that chance in injurytime?)
-Juventus (Honestly, they were the better side, but obviously football is not about producing more chances, it's about scoring on the ones you have)

Roma played for a draw against Inter.

Roma completely dominated Juve in the 2nd half and should have won the game if Totti didn't mess up the one on one against Buffon. Also, the 2 Juve scores were soft goals in which Roma did a poor job on set pieces.

·
Registered
13,061 Posts
Samp should of beaten Juve but guess what? They had the ref under their thumb>>>

<01/12/2004. Fillipo Inzaghi admitted, during the doping trial that Juventus is involved in, that he was given creatine during the half-time of matches.

The former Juventus goal scorer declared: "Yes, sometimes I made use of creatine. I'm not sure when exactly but at times I remember taking between the first and second half; they used to give me small packets." >

Just a little update on the trial in Torino.

;)

·
Registered
11,399 Posts
Primo said:
Samp should of beaten Juve but guess what? They had the ref under their thumb
Of course, what else is new! But we shouldn't talk this week, cause we got 2 huge breaks when the refs didn't give Perugia those penalities on fouls in the box committed by Emerson and Dellas.

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
Tough game considering how Samp was going before the Juve game, and more so because of Samuel's absence and the various players in doubt.

At Olympico however... you should have too much quality for them, and Samp has not exactly been steamrolling against the truely big sides. Apart from the Milan game they've put up a brave fight against all though, and picked up the draw at Inter.

As one who'd benefit from a Roma loss of points.. this is one of the few occasions where one can hope, but I really don't quite believe it. Even if Chivu was to miss the game as well- you'd still have better defenders than Samp, and Totti isn't likely to be firing blanks 3 times in a row I guess.

Prediction: Tight game.. Roma winning 2-1 or 2-0.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well, I believe this is the perfect game at this time of the season.
A tough team to challenge us in Rome, not too dangerous though.... I believe we can beat Samp.

It will be definately interesting to see what we can do without Samuel back there;)

It's really time for Totti to lead the team as He knows........

·
Registered
45,474 Posts
Glen said:
As one who'd benefit from a Roma loss of points.. this is one of the few occasions where one can hope, but I really don't quite believe it. Even if Chivu was to miss the game as well- you'd still have better defenders than Samp, and Totti isn't likely to be firing blanks 3 times in a row I guess.

Prediction: Tight game.. Roma winning 2-1 or 2-0.
Well, as I already wrote, while I was sure that Samp would have lost to Juventus, I am very confident on Samp getting at least 1 point at Olimpico. Sure, Roma still have better defenders than Samp without Chivu and Samuel (on the paper) , yet, what really matters is not the challenge defenders vs defenders, but the challenge forwards vs defenders and while with Samuel and Chivu our forwards would have few chances, with Zebina and Dellas they have many more.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Zebina has been pretty sloid this season though and if Dellas transforms his form from Greece to Roma then he can be a good player!!!

If Montella is back, then I see Conte and Falcone not having an east time against Montella and Cassano ;)

This can be a quiet exciting game, depending on how both teams enter this match!

·
Registered
11,360 Posts
Whether Chivu will be available for this game, is still uncertain, but he may well come back in time according to the reports I've heard. Even if he's not available, if our midfield is in its usual form we should be able to dominate in the centre of the field and limit the opportunities for Bazzani and Flacchi. But it can prove a really dangerous game for us, there's no room for any underestimation. It will be interesting to see how our defence will cope without its obvious leader Samuel.

Hopefully Totti will find his form at last and lead the team to a convinsing victory.

·
Registered
11,399 Posts
I feel Chivu will play and Capello will start a 3 man defense of Zebina-Chivu-Panucci. I also think we aren't giving enough credit to the true Roma tridente of Totti-Cassano-Montella who will be driving the Sampdoria defense mad. People are talking about how Roma are still winning but not playing as great as before and this is all true, BUT the "entertainment" started to drop when Montella got injured. Vincenzino is the key to regaining our form and I hope he is fully fit. I think he is because Roma have definitely not rushed him back, since L'Aeroplanino considered himself available for the Milan and Perugia matches.

Tough game, but we are at home and we owe the tifosi a win after the Milan disaster. Also, Bazzani is not in form and he is the key to Sampdoria, in my opinion. Also, don't forget Antonioli is always susceptible to a foolish mistake, as we know too well in Roma land.

·
Registered
11,399 Posts
Defensive Crisis?

AS Roma may have a defensive crisis on their hands, after Romanian centre back Cristian Chivu and French defender Jonathan Zebina both suffered injuries against Perugia.

As yet, if is not known how severe the injuries are, but both players are expected to be ruled out of Wednesdays Coppa Italia clash with European Champions AC Milan. Chivu suffered muscular strains and was replaced at half time, whilst Zebina was taken off midway through the second half with what looked like muscular cramps.

Scans will reveal more about Chivu's injury and should determine whether the former Ajax captain will be able to return to action against Sampdoria on Sunday. Roma fans will be hoping that the injury is only minor, as Chivu has been brilliant for the Giallorossi so far this term, and has helped immensely in the Capital club's rock solid defence, which has only conceded six goals.

Meanwhile, Roma are also waiting on scan results on Brazilian midfielder Emerson, who suffered a shoulder problem during the match against Perugia. The injury wasn't serious enough to prevent him from completing the match, but he did look rather uncomfortable during the tie, clutching his arm close to his chest for the entire game.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts