Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
13,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, here we go forward! Avanti!
La Roma welcomes Samp to the Olimpico in Sunday's late Serie A match. One week after emerging victorious in a stunning 4-0 win over a weak Siena, Roma will face a real test from Genoa. Samp comes off a 1-0 win over Parma thanks to a late goal from Flachi. Samp features a classic Italian squad. Check it out: Our scudetto-winning GK *Antonioli*, Zenoni, Pavan, Falcone, Pisano, Diana (Doni), Volpi, Palombo, Tonetto, Flachi, Bazzani (Rossini). Samp is at 17 points.
We need to utilize our momentum from the Siena match and our home field advantage to achieve a win. Judging from Del Neri's recent comments, it looks like Cassano has been officially unleashed. He really is the key, as Demandred and others have mentioned. It'll be interesting to see if he'll start on the left and to the side.
Samp plays real football, but they are more dangerous at home. We need to possess the ball with passing on the ground because that's what they'll try to do. Forza Triangle d'Italia :cool:

·
Registered
46,333 Posts
Primo said:
Samp plays real football, but they are more dangerous at home.
Not really, our score at Marassi was a desaster till we defeated Parma, while our away score is 3 wins, 1 draw and 2 defeats.
Unfortunately we will miss Doni (banned), who changed the game vs Parma when he replaced Diana in the second half, so the starting lineup will probably be the same of the last game. It's a pretty superdefensive team with two solid centerrbacks (Falcone and Pavan), four (!!!) side backs (Zenoni and Diana on the right, Pisano and Tonetto on the left, Diana and Tonetto playing at midfield) and two defensive midfielders (Volpi and Palombo), that makes 8 players with defensive propension. Diana, who was our superplayer in the last season, attacking and defending like a devil, in this start of season has been rather poor so Novellino could decide to replace him... but I don't know who could be the replacement. There could be a chance for the under 21 NT player Pagano or even for the 17 years old Soddimo (born in Roma).
As regards our forwards: Bazzani is unfit, so Flachi should be the only danger for you, but who knows... maybe Bazzani will finally reawaken.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
should stick with the same formation vs siena

----------------- peli -----------------
------ panucci --- dellas --- ferrari ------
mancini --- perrotta ---- aquilani --- cufre
------------------ totti -----------------
----------- montella ---- cassano ---------

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
I think if Mexes is fit he can go in for Panucci or Dellas and Aquilani will replace De Rossi but thats all.

·
Registered
7,499 Posts
It would be so nice to continue winning, to make a few wins in a row :star:
Its not gonna be easy, but it must be done. Obviously, the only logical thing would be to stick with this formation that has re-born this squad. And i hope Cassano will perform once more. A win here, would truly mean exit from the dark.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
This is still a transition year for Roma. It would be very good for the team to win a couple of games in a row. I just hope Roma doesn't get cocky if that happens.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Really looking forward to this one, first time this year I´m really confident in the team, i expect nothing but a victory and luckily the game is shown in Sweden =)

·
Registered
19,782 Posts
Italy Will Fall In Love With Roma-Delneri
11/30/2004 12:54:00 PM

In an interview with Roman daily ‘Il Romanista’, Roma boss Gigi Delneri offered a positive outlook for the struggling club’s future.
“All of Italy will fall in love with Roma. I have a group of fantastic players. They passed some terrible months and are human beings. We are getting to know each-other better now. There are no longer personal interests, but only one collective goal, to do what is best for the team,” said the former Chievo boss.

Delneri also explained the new 3-4-3 tactical formaiton he has decided to adopt.

“It’s a mutating formation. The pitch is too big to defend with just three players. Therefore, once Cufrè, once Mancini, need to become the fourth defender,” he added.

·
Registered
13,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't want them to get cocky, but confident in themselves and each other. Roma is a young and tender club right now, and our mentality has always been an issue, now more than ever. If we can manage to get healthy and string some successes together, then maybe we can feel that confidence. Del Neri breaking away from the standard 4-man back really is the source of my new found enthusiam. A 4-0 away win didn't hurt either. ;)

·
Proud Juventino.
20,505 Posts
tough match for the giallorossi,, 1-1 imo.

Totti scoring.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Confidence is key as you said Primo but Cockiness can never be respected or is at very least is a cause for not fully supporting a player. I hope to see that cockiness doesn't happen in any extremes in Roma any more because often teams that are cocky get their heads served on a platter. This is just a minor fear that I have for Roma.

·
Registered
13,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Roma aren't cocky. Cassano & Totti did some STUPID things in the past 6 months, but to call the entire club cocky is not fair.
And if winning makes them cocky, then I'll take both and deal with the cockiness. :)

·
Banned
1,724 Posts
Definitely stick with our winning formula.If Mexes is fit,I may play him in front of Dellas,mainly cos of the pacy Samp forward line,Flachi and Bazzani.I have a feeling that the first goal is crucial.If we score first,Samp like Siena may open up and we could score more on the counter.On the other hand,if Samp scores first,they may close up shop,and our players may get that feeling of things going wrong again.
For sure,we have to take the game to themWe should be confident after our fine result last week.As for cocky,well,after such a terrible few months,I am not so sure that would happen just yet.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Primo said:
Roma aren't cocky. Cassano & Totti did some STUPID things in the past 6 months, but to call the entire club cocky is not fair.
And if winning makes them cocky, then I'll take both and deal with the cockiness. :)
Primo I believe that you don't understand me. I only said that I hope that Roma doesn't become cocky I did not say they were cocky. I said I hope they don't get cocky because I fear that a couple of blowouts over teams will go to the heads of some of the young Roma players. This would not be good for us because if they approach teams and games with this mentallity they are bound to have their heads served to them on a silver platter. This is just a general concern of mine I hope it doesn't happen. It might not happen because of how low Roma was and perhaps still is. This is just a general concern not something that I see happening right now in Roma.

Oh just to mention Tommasi is starting to train again or so I heard. His experience and wisdom will be very influential to these young players especially Aquilani.

·
Registered
13,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok sorry to misunderstand you, but this was your quote: "I hope to see that cockiness doesn't happen in any extremes in Roma any more.."
Totally agree on Tomassi. It's great news. I just hope he returns to his best.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Serie A Week 14 - 5/12/04 (20.30)
Roma - Sampdoria

Stadio Olimpico

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sampdoria may be one point better off than Roma but it’s the Giallorossi who look the more likely to win at the Stadio Olimpico. Although the capital outfit did lose four games on the trot, they returned with a 4-0 trouncing of Siena in Week 13 when Antonio Cassano set up all four of his side’s goals.

That victory also seemed to underline that boss Gigi Del Neri has finally figured out how Cassano, Francesco Totti and Vincenzo Montella can co-exist in the same side. Roma are now using 3-4-3 tactics which may aid them in their quest to finish the campaign in the top four at the very least.

The tactician will still be without the injured Chivu, Dacourt, Tommasi, Mexes and Mido. Meanwhile, star midfielder Daniele De Rossi will not feature after he picked up a yellow card at Siena and is subsequently suspended.

Samp won their first game for a month when they beat Parma with a very late penalty from Francesco Flachi last week. That was the club’s first goal after going four matches without rippling the net. They may struggle on Sunday again as creative ace Cristiano Doni is suspended.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Roma (probable): Pelizzoli; Panucci, Dellas, Ferrari; Mancini, Perrotta, Aquilani, Cufre; Totti, Montella, Cassano

Sampdoria (probable): SAntonioli; Zenoni, Falcone, Pavan, Pisano; Diana, Volpi, Palombo, Tonetto; Flachi, Bazzani

Ref: To follow...

channel4

1 - 20 of 97 Posts