Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
13,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It really is time to exact revenge on Messina, who took us for an ugly 4-3 win during week 2 - back when we were still expecting big things from Roma this season. In short, Messina shocked us. Now, w/ possible transfer rumors flying around between the two (D'Ago/Storari), they meet at Olimpico on Sunday morning in a match RAI will televise :)
I'm looking for continued improvement from Roma. Totti is nice and rested, eh? Not sure if Mexes will be available, but I've listed stats from the andata match and possible future lineups for Sunday below:

Week 2:

Messina 4
Roma 3
Parisi(Rig.) 21'pt'
S. Sullo 1'st'
D. Giampa' 29'st'
R. Zampagna 33'st'

36'pt' V. Montella
19'st' V. Montella
23'st' V. Montella

AMMONIZIONI
S. Sullo
M. Donati
R. Zampagna
M. Zoro Kpolo
C. Coppola
L. Cufre'
A. Mido
O. Dacourt

Week 21:

ROMA 4-3-3
22 Pelizzoli
8 Ferrari
5 Mexes
31 Dellas
25 Cufrè
23 Aquilani
4 De Rossi
15 Dacourt
10 Totti
9 Montella
18 Cassano

A disposizione
12 Zotti
29 De Martino
19 Scurto
7 Sartor
21 D'Agostino
11 Corvia
26 Cerci
Allenatore Del Neri

Indisponibili
Chivu (convalescenza dopo rottura quinto metatarso piede destro, 15 giorni); Tommasi (convalescenza dopo rottura legamenti, 2 mesi); Mancini (in Brasile per gravi motivi familiari), Delvecchio, Panucci (problemi muscolari, 5 giorni); Perrotta (problemi muscolari, 5 giorni).

Squalificati
Nessuno

Diffidati
Cassano, Ferrari

MESSINA 4-4-2
1 Storari
8 Zoro
6 Aronica
2 Rezaei
19 Parisi
10 Iliev
24 Coppola
5 Donati
14 Sullo
18 Amoruso
11 Di Napoli

A disposizione
21 Eleftheropoulos
30 Cucciari
27 Zanchi
17 Giampà
32 Rafael
20 Yanagisawa
50 Bernardo
Allenatore Mutti

Indisponibili
Mamede (frattura composta della mandibola), Zampagna (botta alla coscia sinistra), Fusco (stiramento bicipite femorale coscia destra, un mese).

Squalificati
nessuno

Diffidati
Donati, Iliev, Rezaei, Cucciari, Coppola.
:heart: La Roma :heart:

·
Premium Member
11,399 Posts
A home win here would be huge, especially since we are playing at Lecce the following week, where I think we'll get a draw.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Our next 3 matches are winnable, but with out form this season they can also beat us. We should beat Messina at the Olimpico though, but they ar not a team to be under-estimated. A workman-like team with a couple of key players in Parisi and Di Napoli.

·
Premium Member
11,399 Posts
Rosa said:
Montella will hopefully get another hattrick, oh and Roma to win this time :)
We can't expect Montella to score all the time, I hope Totti and Cassano put some in back of the net.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Cassano is on form at the moment so you can except something from him (normally the unexpected). Totti hasn't scored (in serie a) since the parma game but i think he's playing a deeper role
And talking of Totti and Cassano how can you not except montella to score when they're assiting?!

·
Premium Member
11,399 Posts
Rosa said:
Cassano is on form at the moment so you can except something from him (normally the unexpected). Totti hasn't scored (in serie a) since the parma game but i think he's playing a deeper role
And talking of Totti and Cassano how can you not except montella to score when they're assiting?!
Well I think we should expect a dip in Montella's form because he has been on fire for awhile now. He was off his game in the last 2 matches against Fiorentina as well....but a class player like himself was still able to find a way to score.

·
Registered
12,570 Posts
Montella is playing great but even HE needs to rest. He can't be asked to play every game on top form. Look at Mancini. He played pretty much every game last year and now he is for sure not playing like we know he can. That is when and why you have the subs to replace the tired starters and Mido was the guy. Unfortunately our "coach" decided that Corvia is somehow up to the task. :nono: :rollani:

If Montella keeps playing every game there is also a high risk of injuries. Hopefully not of course but its a risk that we can not afford at all.

Messina is not the same as they were at the beginning of the season. Meaning their spirit is going down slowly but they still can be a threat. I think that a 1-0 win for us is possible.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Fiorito28 said:
Montella is playing great but even HE needs to rest. He can't be asked to play every game on top form. Look at Mancini. He played pretty much every game last year and now he is for sure not playing like we know he can. That is when and why you have the subs to replace the tired starters and Mido was the guy. Unfortunately our "coach" decided that Corvia is somehow up to the task. :nono: :rollani:

If Montella keeps playing every game there is also a high risk of injuries. Hopefully not of course but its a risk that we can not afford at all.

Messina is not the same as they were at the beginning of the season. Meaning their spirit is going down slowly but they still can be a threat. I think that a 1-0 win for us is possible.
Mancini's father is dying and it has distracted him from playing his best. I agree with you that Montella needs rest so I would suggest having Corvia in Montella's position to either start the game and have Montella come on as a sub if a goal is needed or have Montella come off at the 60 min mark in a game we are winning. Mido might have been the guy but he isn't now so we will have to work with what we've got.

·
Registered
6,556 Posts
The CL spot is our primary target, if we were going to rest Vincenzo it should of been done against Fio, not Messina.

·
Registered
12,570 Posts
Zangari. I know what is going on but I meant that he has not being performing like we know he can since late last season and the beginning of this season. There is no need to protect players every single time, rather, try to see what I really mean. :)

Its not like Fiorentina is much worse than Messina. Both teams can do damage.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Fiorito28 said:
Zangari. I know what is going on but I meant that he has not being performing like we know he can since late last season and the beginning of this season. There is no need to protect players every single time, rather, try to see what I really mean. :)

Its not like Fiorentina is much worse than Messina. Both teams can do damage.
I said that we should be careful with Montella not protect him. I do not say coddle him and protect him like he is a fragile piece of china. What I am saying is that if we're winning then Corvia should come on and replace him or have Montella come on and let him be a super sub if Corvia is not doing the job.

I really don't understand how our opinions really differentiate, maybe you could explain me that? We both agree that Montella needs rest and I suggested the above to provide Montella that rest. Now you are saying that "there is no need to protect players every single time, rather, try to see what I really mean." Well I am sorry but I am unable to understand this post and your opinion so please explain this better and perhaps I will undersatnd.

·
Registered
12,570 Posts
Zangari. I made myself perfectly clear. No need to repost something.
I just think that you and other Roma fans here like Corvia too much for the little he has done.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
The little he has done is due to th fact he has started 1 serie A game and 1 Coppa Italia game plus 2 meaningless CL games while playing bit parts in most other matches.... A guy needs a fair shot before doing anything near good.

As for Montell,a yes this match may be the best time to rest him because we have 3 matches in 7 or 8 days. Maybe we should play Corvia from the start and introduce Montella after 60 or on the othe rhand we can start Montella hopefully go at least 2 goals up and after 60 or so take him out for Corvia or a defensive player, whatever Del Neri prefers...

·
Registered
12,237 Posts
Let's not get carried away here...we absolutely positevely need Montella on the pitch, preferably all the time. A few good results doesn't change that...

·
Registered
7,499 Posts
Yeah, there's no point in resting one of our best players in a game like this. We should go for it, even if he is tired. He can be invisible for a whole game, and then bag a winner. Just like against Fiorentina in the last round.
Then, if the game develops according to our hopes, he can be substituted.

·
Registered
13,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What is the basis for saying Montella is tired? He recently stated he had five years rest (under Capello) and is rolling, loving playing all the time. We just need Vinny. It's that simple.

1 - 20 of 133 Posts