Votes: 4 100.0%

• Total voters
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Celtic Park offer to Republic

The Republic of Ireland have been told that they can use Celtic Park for their World Cup qualifying matches.
Plans to revamp Lansdowne Road have been put on ice and that could mean the Irish looking elsewhere to play their home games against France, Switzerland, Cyprus, Israel and the Faroe Islands.

A Celtic spokesman told the Scottish Sun: "We have already made it clear to the FAI we'd be delighted to discuss the possibility of hosting future Irish international matches at Celtic Park."

Informal discussions have also taken place with Liverpool and Manchester United.

Lansdowne Road needs reconstruction, but football and rugby authorities have been unable to conclude an agreement.

The Football Association of Ireland is against playing its matches in front of a reduced capacity of 22,000.

Meanwhile, the Gaelic games authorities are still against allowing football to be played at Dublin's Croke Park. "

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/celtic/3362651.stm

So do you think its a good idea or bad?

I'm not too fussed about it, and would probably go and see France play Ireland at the san giro if i could get a ticket. There is a danger for Celtic that it will re-enforce their "Irish Team playing in Scotland" image to the detriment of any "Scottish" image they are trying to build up.... and personally speaking I would hate to see Northern Ireland or worse England playing "home" games at Ibrox.

Although from what i gather the FAI are not be that supportive of Celtics offer and would prefer to play games at Anfield or somewhere similiar - mainly because they wouldn't want a certain element of Celtic's support attached to them to tarnish the Irish fans decent reputation :D

·
HEY, WHA' HAPPENED?
24,083 Posts
Ridiculous.

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
You can't blame Celtic for wanting to bring in a few extra quid and certainly if for example it was to result in France playing here then I would be at the front of the queue.:D

·
World Class Player
7,673 Posts
Absurd. Use a different stadium in the Republic of Ireland (or owned by a club in its league, e.g. in Londonderry). If a football association cannot find a stadium within its own country, it shouldn't bleeding well arrange a match. Idiotic, to say the least.

·
Fourth Place Winner, February 2013 XT Photo Conte
7,783 Posts
whats the biggest stadium in ROI, that can easily support football....

could a gaelic ground support...football if they just put the posts up? some gaelic football stadiums are about 30,000 according to world football

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
I'm sure there was some furore during the joint Scotland/ROI bid to host the future European Championships that although the gaelic football grounds have the capacity, their constitution states that the grounds can only be used for gaelic football purposes. :rollani:

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Croke park has a capacity of over 60'000 i think, but football is banned because its a 'British sport' (American football or whatever is allowed to be played)

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Found this quite interesting.Croke Park debate

as was this...

Irish Sport

A nation obsessed with sport of all types, loses control when the sports of the Gaelic Athletic Association (GAA) reach fever pitch during the summer months. Gaelic football (soccer sized ball) and hurling (sticks and cricket sized ball) are traditional games played with traditional fervour.
During the summer months, each town and village will be involved at some level in GAA competitions, keep an eye on local newspapers for details.
Amateur sportsmen and women train for seven months for perhaps just one game, all for the parish, village or county.
The GAA strongholds are rural, and rivalries are strong, but generally good-natured. A must visit for all sports fans is the GAAs new museum located at their headquarters in Croke Park in Dublin city.

The Gaelic Athletic Association was formed in 1884 at a meeting in Hayes Hotel in Thurles Co. Tipperary. In the context of the Fenian movement at the time, the initial aim of the association was to establish and formalise uniquely Irish games, hurling and football primarily (also includes handball and camogie) particularly in opposition to English ball games, association football (soccer) and rugby. As a result many of the rules in GAA are in direct contrast to English games. Hence where in soccer they put the ball in the net, in hurling we'll put the ball over the bar; they have corner kicks, we'll have 65's; they have 11 players, we'll have 15 (with thanks to PMcD). For the record, a shot over the crossbar and between the posts is worth 1 point, a shot to the net is worth 1 goal or 3 points. And the name of the ball used in hurling is the sliothar.

The showpiece of the GAA calendar is the football and hurling championship, which takes place over the course of the summer, culminating in the All-Ireland Finals in September at Croke Park in Dublin. These are vibrant occasions full of colour and noise (and the annual interruption of the national anthem by the best-loved sounds is the "clash of the ash". This is the sound of two hurleys beating hell out of each other (ash is the type of wood from which hurleys are made). Locally, at club level, hurling and football matches take place all over the country all year round, with the most activity again in the summer. Shouts of "pull hard" and "take your point" will be heard ringing around pitches everywhere.

The hurling strongholds of Tipperary, Cork and Kilkenny in hurling have been challenged in recent years by counties such as Clare, Wexford, Offaly, and Limerick. In football, the traditional rivalry between Dublin and Meath manifested itself in some magnificent contests in recent years, but they are all afraid of Kerry!

Very much the third most popular sport in Ireland, the national soccer team gave the country a boost by qualifying for two World Cups and a European championship finals in the last twelve years.
After many years of heartache, it took an Englishman to guide the Irish team to a major championship, but Jack Charlton ("Big Jack") soon became an "honorary Irishman"! Beating "the auld Foe" (England) at anything has always appealed to the Irish, and some serious parties took place the last time we beat England at soccer (Stuttgart, June 1988).
The lack of local support for teams has led to most aspiring Irish players going abroad (chiefly to Britain), some of the current most famous names in Irish soccer are Roy Keane and Denis Irwin (both Cork), Robbie Keane (Dublin) and Paul McGrath (Dublin, recently retired). All were masters of their trade, but had to work abroad.
On the local scene, there are lots of clubs and inter-firm teams battling it out during the winter months, the standard of skill is low, but the post match sessions can go on all day and night.

Although I hate to kick the arse out of it, I also found this. What a hoot:D

Croke Park

·
Registered
633 Posts
Crazy idea in my opinion.

And WTF is the anti-British sport stance all about? I was just about to commend the GAA for preserving their traditions before I saw exactly what they were!

Anyway Celtic will be shooting themselves in the foot if this goes ahead, and to be honest I don't think it will

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Croke Park holds over 80,000 and is the 4th biggest stadium in Europe I believe. Other GAA grounds like Thurles hold 50,000
while most bog standard GAA grounds hold over 20,000.

This whole thing is pure Irish. A lot of the people against opening up Croker are from the North. Cut it out and sink it, I say.

Lansdowne will be rebuilt sooner rather than later so we'll have to go abroad for a year or two (like the welsh rugby team when the Arms park was being rebuilt) until then

Still, an national scandal if ever there was one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts