Xtratime Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Viana's the new Speed Feb 15 2004
By Sunday Sun

Sir Bobby Robson has insisted he still regards Hugo Viana as the long-term successor to Newcastle's midfield enforcer Gary Speed.

Portuguese international Viana rounded off a miserable month in January with a rollicking from Robson over his inadvertent role in Birmingham's equaliser against United at St Andrews.

Viana was already frustrated at Robson's refusal to allow him to return to former club Sporting Lisbon on loan during the transfer window.

Newcastle cannot offer Viana any immediate prospect of regular first-team football, and many fans would gladly have seen him sold last month rather than popular winger Nobby Solano.

But Robson maintains his belief that his £8.5 million man can eventually do the job Speed has made his own in the United midfield.

And Viana has been given a further boost by being named in Portugal's squad to face England in Faro on Wednesday.

"I still see Hugo as Gary's successor," said Robson. "But I admit he's got to learn what Gary gives us, which is competitiveness from box to box.

"Hugo is cleverer on the ball than anyone else we've got. He's sensational - his left foot talks - but he has to learn how to work.

"I believe he has the physical capability to do that. We saw him play in the European Under-21 Championships in 2002 - where he was the best player - and he murdered Fulham's Sean Davis playing man for man against him.

"But we've got to get Hugo to think he's staying here, he'll fight for his place, top up his fitness and get ready in case we need him.

"If he does that, I think he'll be fine."
-----------------------------------------------------

He can't be serious. Viana is an attacking midfielder, he's definately not a DM. No doubt he is a good prospect, but as an AM not a DM.

Worrying comments, it makes me think we won't ever buy a DM when its obvious we are crying out for someone to sit infront of the back four.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Prodigy said:
Viana's the new Speed Feb 15 2004
By Sunday Sun

Sir Bobby Robson has insisted he still regards Hugo Viana as the long-term successor to Newcastle's midfield enforcer Gary Speed.

Portuguese international Viana rounded off a miserable month in January with a rollicking from Robson over his inadvertent role in Birmingham's equaliser against United at St Andrews.

Viana was already frustrated at Robson's refusal to allow him to return to former club Sporting Lisbon on loan during the transfer window.

Newcastle cannot offer Viana any immediate prospect of regular first-team football, and many fans would gladly have seen him sold last month rather than popular winger Nobby Solano.

But Robson maintains his belief that his £8.5 million man can eventually do the job Speed has made his own in the United midfield.

And Viana has been given a further boost by being named in Portugal's squad to face England in Faro on Wednesday.

"I still see Hugo as Gary's successor," said Robson. "But I admit he's got to learn what Gary gives us, which is competitiveness from box to box.

"Hugo is cleverer on the ball than anyone else we've got. He's sensational - his left foot talks - but he has to learn how to work.

"I believe he has the physical capability to do that. We saw him play in the European Under-21 Championships in 2002 - where he was the best player - and he murdered Fulham's Sean Davis playing man for man against him.

"But we've got to get Hugo to think he's staying here, he'll fight for his place, top up his fitness and get ready in case we need him.

"If he does that, I think he'll be fine."
-----------------------------------------------------

He can't be serious. Viana is an attacking midfielder, he's definately not a DM. No doubt he is a good prospect, but as an AM not a DM.

Worrying comments, it makes me think we won't ever buy a DM when its obvious we are crying out for someone to sit infront of the back four.
you are quite right....Viana is not DM..and you need a DM....

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Bobby either needs to get off the medication or take some.

Anyone with half a brain can see that Hugo is completely unsuited to a Speed-esque holding role.

What next? "Chopra's the new Woodgate"?

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Remember when Robson used to know where an AM played?:happy: ;)

·
Registered
11,360 Posts
What's wrong with Robson of late, it looks like he's losing it completely.
Viana will never be a good DM, that's painfully obvious to everyone who've seen him play for more than 5 minutes.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Hugo Viana is a very tallented number 10, but he will never succeed in Newcastle with a more defensive role. In fact, he will never succeed in England because he just can't defend.

PS: He doesn't work as a winger too.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I could not understand it...

Viana was voted the best young european player because of his creativity with the ball, and not his defensive play....why would Sir Bob continue to state that he will be a replacement for Gary Speed? Gary Speed is an excellent Center midfielder, not a playmaker type player....Newcastle does not play with a creative mid..he'll have to go to spain or even france to play his true role...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts