1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it's me Jern :D

so what's your thoughts about our new signing

·
Registered
40,650 Posts
Calm down with the Maradona comparisons! :tongue:

There was only one Diego Armando Maradona (well 2 actually but you know what I mean ;)) and although I'm a big fan of Van Persie even I wouldn't go that far.
You've signed one of the best Dutch prospects for a very small amount (relatively).

Again because some of you seem to have problems reading, his favourite position is #10, behind the strikers but he can also play on the left.

·
Registered
11,521 Posts
Incoming?

Incame !!!!!!!

Arsenal signed rising Dutch star Robin van Persie from Feyenoord.

The newly-crowned Premiership champions confirmed the highly-rated 20-year-old, who can play up front or on the wing and is seen as a long-term replacement for fellow Dutchman Dennis Bergkamp, will join them "on a long-term contract for an undisclosed fee".

Van Persie, who will now undergo a medical at Highbury, had been linked to a number of clubs around Europe, including PSV Eindhoven, Bundesliga leaders Werder Bremen and Spanish side Sevilla.

Gunners manager Arshne Wenger said: "Robin is a great young talent and a fantastic signing for the club.

£10 off the Gunners home shirt while stocks last...

"He has shown great potential at both club and under-21 international level and will help strengthen our squad considerably.

"He has a great left foot and is a great passer of the ball with excellent vision. He is a versatile player and is comfortable playing as a striker or on the wing.

"We are all looking forward to Robin joining us for pre-season in July."

The Gunners made a bid for van Persie in the January transfer window, but Feyenoord turned them down and Arsene Wenger brought in Sevilla's Jose Reyes instead.

The youngster, who has signed a four-year deal at Highbury according to reports in Holland, has been a regular in the Feyenoord first team for the past two seasons and helped the Rotterdam club capture the UEFA Cup in 2002, after which he was named `best young talent' for the season by the Dutch PFA.

Van Persie's six goals in 27 league appearances this season have helped Feyenoord to third place in the Dutch league, with the club again close to qualifying for European competition next season.

The player said: "I'm delighted to be joining a great club like Arsenal, this is a dream come true for me.

"The squad is full of players at the top of their game, which they have proved by winning the English Premier League last Sunday.

"I'm looking forward to meeting all my new team-mates in the summer and helping the club to challenge for more honours."

Arsenal expect to officially register van Persie as their player on May 17, when the transfer window re-opens.

--------------------------------------------

now we have english starlets, french starlets, spanish starlets and dutch starlets.
Italians left !!!
:cool:
nEEbz

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Drulo said:
Calm down with the Maradona comparisons! :tongue:

There was only one Diego Armando Maradona (well 2 actually but you know what I mean ;)) and although I'm a big fan of Van Persie even I wouldn't go that far.
You've signed one of the best Dutch prospects for a very small amount (relatively).

Again because some of you seem to have problems reading, his favourite position is #10, behind the strikers but he can also play on the left.
I deleted the Maradona comparison even before i read you post

is this OK :)

·
Registered
40,650 Posts
Gooner4life said:
I deleted the Maradona comparison even before i read you post

is this OK :)
I'm not blasting you for it man. I just thought it was a bit over the top. :)

Jern, he's a strong defender, so yes like Cruyff. :pp

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
our line up for next season

---------------Van Persie
Ralph------Kolo--------Sol-----Ash
Fred------Paddy-----Edu------Bob
-----------------------Henry
-------------José

is that right ? :confused: :googly: :D

·
Registered
936 Posts
Jern Lizardhous said:
yes stop comparing him with Maradona , i hear he is much better than the Argie was :cool:
Don't worry, you haven't signed the new Maradona. If he was, he would probably be playing in the dutch NT. :D

To give you an idea of his skills, I've put some videos on the web. You can find them at http://members.lycos.co.uk/voetbalfan/ (sorry about all the lycos/tripod crap)
They're from 2002 when Robin won the UEFA cup with Feyenoord. Notice that he was playing as a leftwinger at the time. Now he want to have a central position behind the striker(s).

I hope you can get the best out of him. He started very promising but he hasn't shown a lot last seasons.

·
63,337 Posts
cheers BigRon , if he can't develop here, idon't know where he can ;)

anyway a nickname for Van Persie is in order, how about Robadona :D

from now on Van Persie will be called Robadona on these forums. ;)

oh just kill me then :D

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
Fred/reyes?------Paddy-----Edu------Bob/reyes?
-----------------------VP
-------------henry

i forgot which wing side did reyes play at seville, i rather this guy as a winger, he doesnt look to be scoring much as a striker. let VP the striker as a striker, and put reyes back on the wing.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
Seville those poor bastards.

I just read that Seville were looking to buy Van Peirse to replace Reyes, there heart and soul.

Imagion the Seville president when he heard Arsenal got him :cool:

·
63,337 Posts
Seville already once had Maradona so it is obvious they would want ROBADONA :fero: as well. ;)

hope they get a decent replacement for Reyes, to be fair Wenger has been after Robadona for eighteen months so we probably deserve him. ;)

·
63,337 Posts
Swiftwilly said:
Fred/reyes?------Paddy-----Edu------Bob/reyes?
-----------------------VP
-------------henry

i forgot which wing side did reyes play at seville, i rather this guy as a winger, he doesnt look to be scoring much as a striker. let VP the striker as a striker, and put reyes back on the wing.

Wenger has said he won't know where Robadona fits in for a few months, he will experiment his position. ;)

i reckon he might try him wide right as he is left footed and we know Wenger prefers his wingers to play on the opposite side to their strongest foot. ;)

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
Perise will have him playing the odd game but mostly comming off the bench (as Reyes did this season) while Reyes will be a first team player.

Is Freedy Staying? I dont think there is room for them all unless Fredrick or Dennis leaves.

·
63,337 Posts
yes i reckon Fred will stay unless we bring in a new winger. ;)

Bergkamp, Henry, Reyes , Pires , Freddy, Robadona, Aliadiere. 7 players for 4 positions isn't too much.

Kanu and Wiltord will probably be going on a free.

D

·
0 Posts
Van Persie and Reyes could be the long term replacements for Pires and Bergkamp. Bentley will take Freddie's role on the right and act as playmaker, leftie on the right, ala Pires on the left.

Bentley-Vieira-Edu-Reyes

------------Van Persie-------

--------------Henry-----------

·
63,337 Posts
I'd hate to see Bentley playing wide right, Wenger has tried him there for reserve games but he doesn't have the pace to play there for me, i think he should play as a second striker, if not at the Arsenal then somewhere else.

i fear Wenger doesn't think he will make it at the Arsenal after buying Reyes and Robadona, and now he will loan him out next season.

Bentley will be a star i just don't know if he fits our team, sads but i fear true. :(

·
Registered
886 Posts
Jern Lizardhous said:
yes i reckon Fred will stay unless we bring in a new winger. ;)

Bergkamp, Henry, Reyes , Pires , Freddy, Robadona, Aliadiere. 7 players for 4 positions isn't too much.

Kanu and Wiltord will probably be going on a free.
I thought my lad were going to be given another chance Jern!!:D
and what about Bentley?

1 - 20 of 128 Posts