Xtratime Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
;) Read a piece in a daily newspaper with reference to Roberto Carlos which I find difficult to believe. " At 20 years of age Carlos sense of position was bad and he was little more than an athlete with a good run and shot. Compared to Ashley Cole at this age Cole's positioning was better." The article goes on to say " Carlos is still not the greatest of tacklers, not the most aware and not the greatest of passers." It then rates Lizarazu as a better wing back than Carlos. I would appreciate any comments on this extract which I find difficult to believe. In my opinion, Ashley Cole is not and never was in the same class as Roberto Carlos. As regards Lizarazu it's debatable. Looking forward to your comments on this issue. Thanks!

·
Registered
12,718 Posts
Interesting. I believe that Roberto's speed and flair makes him the best. Cole is a better in positioning himself but Carlos is a better man marker. Lizarazu is better definsevely perhaps but Carlos is better offensively. It all balances out.

G

·
C'mon, Ashley Cole is waaay overrated. Gareth Barry should be starting over him at senior level.

As for RB, he's your usual Brazilian defender. Great skills offensively, much a do about crap defensively. If you want an attacking wingback then he's undoubtedly the best, but if you want a left-back with an emphasis on defending look elsewhere.

Lizarazu is heaps better than Roberto Carlos as a defender and a distributer but you can't expect him to overlap and make surging runs forward the way the latter does.

But then again, Maldini at his best was better than all of them put together.

·
Registered
10,086 Posts
Lizarazu has a very good claim, as does Candela (of the current leftbacks). Who's better depends on what you need. If you're forming a cattenaccio style, than you choose either of the Frenchmen... if you're playing a modern game, there's no reason why Roberto Carlos shouldn't be seriously considered. He's heralded as the bect leftback mainly because of his offensive prowess, which is a bit ironic in itself, but does show a reflection of how this position has evolved over recent years. You can't just defend solidly to be called a great wingback, and these three guys named combine the offensive and defensive skills in themselves, each of them in a different scale.
Chivu is the next big thing...

Players like Maldini are undoubtebly legends, but even now when he's still a solid defender, he isn't named in the same sentence as these three, precisely because of the way the game has evolved, and Maldini is sort of a symbol of the past. Undoubtebly a more legendary leftback than on of these 3 mentioned, but that's from a purely historical overview.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
;) Thanks for the input. Agree with Nero, Cole is overrated. As regards Carlos and Lizarazu I guess it's a matter of opinion. I'd appreciate further input to another part of the article which goes as follows " There's no point mentioning the names Carlos and Lizarazu in the same sentence as Maldini. He's in a class above them and possibly greater than the great Fachetti. The only reason people don't compare Maldini with the others is that injuries and age have caught up with him. He doesn't play left back anymore . At his peak he was awesome. Can that be said about Carlois, who's the most overrated player of all time? They talk about his free kicks which are seldom on target. Lizarazu is a class act , quite similar to Kenny Sansom in some ways but still not in the same class as Maldini"

I'd appreciate any comments on that extract!!

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
;) Would anyone agree that Maldini in his prime was a better modern day attacking full back than the rest? He had it all and was a key component of Milan's and Italy's attacking strategy. The term wing back is not appropriate in a 4-4-2 formation. They are full backs and as a full back in any 4-4-2 formation Carlos might not match Lizarazu or Maldini. Any comments?

·
Registered
721 Posts
In the classical italian-scheme, which was not really a flat 4-4-2 system, the left-back had an important role to fill as a part of the offensive play. The classical rightback (like Bergomi) was a tough-takling marker who played almost like a central defender, and this gave room for a left defender who played as a wing-back.

Maldini was a world-class player, but people seem to forget that Cabrini and Facchetti was just as good, if even better.

As for Roberto Carlos, I don`t see how a key player of a team which have won two ligas and three champions league trophies during his time in the club can be overrated. Give him a few more years and he will go past Camacho as the greatest leftback in the history of the club. I can understand how people are disappointed that he don`t score more spectacular goals (like against Tenerife or France), but they don`t appreciate the true value of Roberto Carlos. Over the years, he has improved a lot when it comes to defending and his stamina is just incredible. Not to mention the deadly passes or throw-ins.

I think Maldini was a more complete player than Carlos, even though the latter is more spectacular. Also, Maldini dominated his side for a decade and is a very intelligent and fair player. But the difference is not that great, and more importantly, R carlos suits Madrids style better than Maldini would have. In other words, it`s a matter of playing-style. In an all-out attacking team like Real Madrid, there is no better than the small brazilian.

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
94,503 Posts
Roberto Carlos says he is on United target list

May 28, 2002

MADRID (Reuters) -

Real Madrid's Brazilian defender Roberto Carlos has confirmed speculation that he is on the target list of Manchester United manager Alex Ferguson, but insisted that he is not planning to leave the European Champions. :cool:

"The interest from Manchester United is not new," he told Spanish sports daily Marca on Tuesday. "They have been asking after me for the past two years. Ferguson spoke with me once and I am aware that I am a player that he likes."

But the speedy left-back, who won his third Champions League trophy with Real this season, said he was unaware if the two clubs had actually spoken about a possible transfer.

"I don't know if they have been talking to each other, but if they want to sit down and negotiate I am not going to stop it." The 29-year-old defender, who is in South Korea with the Brazil World Cup squad, added that if he did leave Real a move abroad would be his preferred option.

"If I had to leave Real I would not join another Spanish team. United would be a good option, but I don't know if any of this speculation is serious."

:cap:

RC Is a Madrid Institution..His Advertising billboards can be seen all over Madrid..Im sure they dont use him in Barcelona !!!! :dielaugh:

G

·
Socrates said:
;) Would anyone agree that Maldini in his prime was a better modern day attacking full back than the rest? He had it all and was a key component of Milan's and Italy's attacking strategy. The term wing back is not appropriate in a 4-4-2 formation. They are full backs and as a full back in any 4-4-2 formation Carlos might not match Lizarazu or Maldini. Any comments?
No other comment other than i agree.

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Hi everybody! this is my first post in ur forum.:)

Let me first congratulate u on winning the Champions league. U deserved it.:cool:

To the topic - Roberto Carlos is undoubtly the best at his position in the world at the moment. Becoz of his trademark surges down the left side, he is feared and respected by all players and team. Though i don't rate his Free kick abilities much. But its quite ridiculous to compare him with San Paulo. I mean when Paulo was at his prime. Now RC is certainly a better player than Maldini. But Maldini has made such a name and has set standards that it might be quite difficult if not impossible to surpass standards set by him. Anyway we are not discussing Maldini but RC. I repeat he his the best at his position at the moment.:)

Ciao

·
Go for 400, Raúl!
2,008 Posts
As some of you have already pointed out, what makes RC the best players at his position is chiefly that he's a player of his own kind. There's simply no other player in Planet Football that could make the physical display he always exhibits, running literally all along the side line, all along the match.
But what makes him even better is that he's now at the right club for him. Real Madrid and Roberto Carlos simply need each other, the skills of the player perfectly fitting the obsessively attacking-minded Real.
So when I heard that Manchester United could have simply catched RM's attention for one only second I really shocked. Pérez and Valdano may well have survived to selling the 30-year-old Redondo despite the love of fans, but Roberto, hell, you can watch but you better NOT TOUCH!!

·
Registered
721 Posts
What I find difficult to believe is that Alex Ferguson was talking to Roberto Carlos. It`s not allowed to contact a player which is under contract and Fergus should know better than that. :confused:

I also doubt that Valdano would sell the brazilian, even for 60 million euro. And we all know that Carlos wants to stay, so...well, let`s just say that Roberto is going nowhere :cool:

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here's what this guy, Myles Palmer, who writes for Arsenal News Review, said about Roberto Carlos. "Roberto Carlos is a warrior but there is not much end product. Too many dodgy crosses, too many wasted free kicks, too many bad passes. At times here I was wondering whether Roberto Carlos is the world's most over-rated footballer...Denilson only gets 20 minutes so he doesn't pass to Roberto Carlos when he can avoid it....Four times Roberto Carlos wanted the ball but Denilson ignored him and did something else..."

Myles Palmer is not a sport's writer I have any respect for as he sometimes talks trash about players he sees little of during the season. The comments about Roberto Carlos are, in my opinion, indicative of Palmer's lack of knowledge of a quality footballer.

Any comments about this extract and Mr. Palmer?

·
Premium Member
27,075 Posts
who is Myles Palmer?

why do I care what he thinks?

I dont!
:D

everyone know who Roberto Carlos is!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts