Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
First Place winner, January 2009 Photo Contest
4,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If the rumors are true we should do everything we can to sign Roberto Carlos.......hear me out.

The left side of defense has been our weak spot for years. Between Maxwell and Roberto Carlos we'd be sorted.

Look at Cafu and Serginho. They are both very effective players similar to Roberto Carlos in style and they are both older then he his. Serie A suits players of this mold.

People can say what the like about Roberto Carlos but he is a class player with loads of experience. He'd flourish is Serie A where he would have much more support defensivly then in La Liga.

I'd sign him for 2 years, play him as a starter and gradually move Maxwell into his position as he gets more experience. Same with Maicon and Zanetti.

Inter defense 06/07

Zanetti - Cordoba - Samuel - Roberto Carlos​

Subs - (Maicon, Burdisso, Maxwell, Matrix )

Can't get a deeper defense then that and you've got 3 classy young players learning and waiting to work their way into starting roles.

Thats how you run a football club. Not buying random players each year but by having a long term plan.

·
Registered
12,237 Posts
Who do you think Maxwell is, some schmuck straight off the banana boat?

Besides, "grooming" players in slowly seems like a good idea, but when was the last time it actually worked as planned at a big club?

·
4,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Cacìni said:
Who do you think Maxwell is, some schmuck straight off the banana boat?

Besides, "grooming" players in slowly seems like a good idea, but when was the last time it actually worked as planned at a big club?
Firstly, Maxwell had a serious career threatening injury and it remains to be seen how he recovers.

Secondly, Inter are a huge club competing at every level. You need 2 good players for every position and with Roberto Carlos you know what you are getting. Should Maxwell prove his worth the starting role is his for the taking.

Lastly, for players groomed at big clubs and gradualy moving starting roles Balzaretti, Messi, Martins and Cesc spring to mind.

·
Registered
57,697 Posts
yeah and let's sign Bebeto too while we're at it...

·
4,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nerazzurri4life said:
yeah and let's sign Bebeto too while we're at it...
:finger: :D

Seriously though, Milan signed Cafu at 33 years of age and he was immense for them.

Roberto Carlos may not be as good as Cafu's but he's damn close and could be just as useful.

·
fawkin legend
4,943 Posts
Didn't he already play for Inter in 1995 ?

I have a good feeling he will join his friends Figo and Solari after winning the World Cup ...may be Ronaldo as well ... and Recoba will be send as a new "galactico" to Madrid, his salary is too high :D

·
Registered
57,697 Posts
I'd go with Favalli and Maxwell for next season. Favalli's been solid for Inter. He's not fancy but gets the job done. You know what, look at the games against Fiorentina, Juve and Roma and how our left-backs screwed up and their errors led to us conceding goals either due to lack of concentration or because of poor sense of position or for being Pierre Wome. Favalli may not be Gianluca Zambrotta -granted- but he knows what a LB has to do. And seeing as Favalli can't play two matches every 3 days then Maxwell will get his fair share of minutes.

In short - bad idea R2K. :) Why would we sign TWO new left-backs ? That's something only Inter would do, and I hope we don't keep on repeating our stupid mistakes...

Macumba said:
Didn't he already play for Inter in 1995 ?
Yes he did.

too bad Roy Hodgson thought Pistone was a better player...

·
4,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I agree RE:Favalli. Not flasy but solid and steady. My whole assumption with bringing Roberto Carlos to Inter was that Favalli wouldn't be playing next year. Favalli is turning 35 years old next season and is starting to struggle with injuries. He has been out for a while now and I have not heard a thing about when he'll be back.

If Favalli can get healthy and play like he did at the start of this season, we are fine with Maxwell-Favalli.

However if Favalli can't get/stay fit Roberto Carlos is an option we should really look at.

·
Registered
43,660 Posts
Roberto Carlos won't help us very much defensively. Offensively, he'd be good...

3 years ago.

No, I was just being generous. Even at his best, he would never have been one of my choices for left back.

I like the idea of having Maxwell join us next season though.

·
Banned
9,221 Posts
**** carlos, **** favalli and most of all **** materazzi. the boys are to old.

maxwell is the future for our LB and probably also on the brazillian NT. get a new promissing defender instead of materazzi.

another thing i dont get, is why cordoba is never used as a LB, he played LB under cuper and was very good at it.

·
Registered
202 Posts
You got to be kidding Roberto ****ing Carlos. I did not know Inter was looking to become the Real Madrid B team/ where their players go to retire. Carlos is a terrible idea if we are going to spring for a plyer go for someone like Grosso, Pasqual hell Chillieni if you can get him. I know all these players are italian but i am not italy biased each of them are superior LBs to the ones in our squad and if we want to solve this problem once and for all it is time to stop screwing around and get someone that will get the job done.

·
Registered
14,870 Posts
It would be sooo Inter to have sold RC when he was good and buying him back when he is crap. Let's not hope that it happens.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Remember we get Pasquale back from Parma next season. And I am pretty sure Favalli only signed a 2 year contract with Inter, so that means he´s gone next season.

·
Registered
57,697 Posts
Dashing avatar, R2K. :star: :proud:

JZ81 said:
And I am pretty sure Favalli only signed a 2 year contract with Inter, so that means he´s gone next season.
He's indeed on a two year contract but I'm positive he'll be resigned for one more season.

·
4,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Thanks, Too many haters with my last avatar. :)

I disagree that Roberto Carlos is a sh*t player. Sh*t players don't win league championships, European cups and international competitions. I've always rated him highly.

I'm not saying he would be a long term solution but he would be useful playing in tandem with a young dinamo such as Maxwell.

Look at this season. When Zanetti was out we had to reshuffle our whole defense to make up for it simply because we didn't have a suitable backup and lost points as a result. The same thing is happening now with Favalli's injury. As N4L pointed out since Favalli has been out the left side has been our weakness. We need depth in defense but not with players like Wome and Ze Maria or even young player like pasquale. We need classy players like RC.

The age thing doesn't concern me.

Figo was written off before joining us but nobody can argue that he has been fantastic. Everyone was against Mihajlovic last season but he served his purpose as a very useful squad player, putting in some soild performances and scoring some big goals. I'm positive Roberto Carlos would follow this pattern and be a useful player for a couple of seasons and add some much needed depth.

Left Back - Maxwell, Roberto Carlos
Right Back - Zanetti, Maicon
Center-Back- Cordoba, Burdisso, Samuel, Matrix

This would be the best defensive roster in Serie A.

·
4,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
IMO Maicon isn't good enough to start for Inter yet. He does have potential though.

Maxwell will be fine as a sub, he hasn't played for a while and will need time to establish himself as a starter.

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
We indeed need a classy player, but why RC? Why not an Italian? Why not a young player? Why not a player from another team than Real?

While defense may have been a problem, the biggest problem this season was our strike force.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
This goes out to all those who posted that they wouldn't want Ronaldo because he is a traitor -

Roberto Carlos' attitude sucks as well.

Have a look at the latest statement he made to the new president of Real Madrid.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts