Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Roby to retire in 2004 Monday 29 December, 2003

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Roberto Baggio will quit football at the end of the current season. In an exclusive interview on Teletutto – a local Brescia station – the Divine Ponytail expressed his intention to retire in 2004.

Roberto Baggio’s remarkable career has lasted over 20 years and involved seven clubs, beginning with his hometown side Vicenza in Serie C1 to his successful yet frustrating times at Juventus and Milan through to his incredible current form with little Brescia.

Arguably the greatest Italian player of the last decade, Baggio made his name at Fiorentina before being sold for a then world record £8m to Juventus, resulting in riots in the Tuscan town.

However, he will remain most famous for missing the crucial penalty in the 1994 Word Cup shoot-out against Brazil having almost single-handedly guided Italy to the Final in Pasadena.

Having been ignored by current Azzurri Coach Giovanni Trapattoni - despite a virtual outcry from the nation - for the most recent World Cup in 2002 and a certainty not travel to Euro 2004, Baggio feels it is the right time to hang up his boots.

A devout Buddhist, his ultimate aim now his to reach the incredible milestone of scoring 200 goals - he is just four short.

·
Registered
23,142 Posts
i will lose all my fave players!
Baggio ,Benarrivo, Mostovoi, Signori, ... i already lost Mussi, Bierhoff, Kennet Andersson , Igor Kolyvanov......

damn, that mean that i'm becoming old too?

btw,i can't believe that next year i will not see Robi on the field!:depress:

·
Registered
15,634 Posts
Some people say he wasnt that great and so on, but he is by a mile, my all time favourite Italian player. Its definitely going to be a loss to football:( :depress:. Hopefully, he doesnt get injuries and reaches his career milestone that he wants, by scoring 200 serie a goals:proud:

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
well we knew it was coming sooner or later.

i dont know who where this article came from but baggio will be remembered by most as being the best italian of the past decade. his career certainly wont be defined by missing a penalty against brazil.

·
Registered
13,063 Posts
Greatness like his is so goddamn rare it's like catching lightning in a bottle. He is the complete player - he really could do it all with a ball. It's hard to describe just how great he actually is. He transcends category. His skills are usually seen in like 5 or 6 players, not one at once!
Roby Baggio, I salute you!
196 goals and counting. You're a f%$$#in amazing human being. :star:

·
Registered
13,202 Posts
THE DIVINE PONYTAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Roby Baggio the player who almost in a sense bought the Wc to Italy in 94,And his career won't be remembered by a penalty miss against Brazil that would've counted for little even had he of scored.Let's not forget Baggio was'nt the only one to miss and Brazil already had one hand on the World Cup,Baggio has done so much for Italy and the NT in my book will never be the same.
"Senza Roberto non mi Diverto".Calcio will never be the same when Il Genio retires.:depress:

·
Registered
460 Posts
A Il Divino - "mille grazie per sempre " from this humble fan.

Thanx for being an amazing human being and footballer.

Ciao.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The article is from the channel 4 site. Its real G.

I am a Juve fan but Del Piero was the player that got me into them in 96. I was a kid when I remember watching the 94 final and felt the hunger for the game. Baggio has taught me so much. Del Piero Baggio Ronaldo mainly DP ;) have been my teachers. I know that for a fact because when I was younger after Id seen a game with Roby or Piero, R9 I would go in the garden and copy what Id seen and would pull it off after a few tries. As a player you can never stop learning. Roberto Baggio was something else, and I feel the pain how his country have ****ed with him ever since he missed that penalty. Have you seen some of the goals hes scored. 97/98 goal of the season skilled the crap out of the defense the chipped the keeper from outside the box. FORZA BAGGIO:strong:

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Farewell Ponytail....I m proud you played for my club before and make your name there...:)

·
Registered
12,718 Posts
This is not only sad news for Italian soccer but world soccer as well. Baggio was simply the most gifted player of his generation and i am crushed that we will not get to see him one last time on the International scene because he is one of the few players that are just an absolute joy to watch.

Since he first burst out with the Italian NT and that wonder goal against the Checks in Italia 90 i instantly became hooked on this guy and have been following him ever since. I will never forget how he singlehandedly took Italy to the finals in USA 94 with some amazing displays against Nigeria, Bulgaria and my country, Spain. I will also never forget that magical season with Bologna in which he silenced his idiotic critics by being one of the top scorers in the Serie A and playing some wonderful futbol.

Finally i want to say F*** You to all the coaches that tried to ruin his career. Especially to Sacchi, Lippi and Trappatoni.

Baggio will always be remembered :star:

·
Registered
460 Posts
Roberto Baggio may not be in the current Italian national team, but he'll always be in the Italian national team of my heart.

Sempre.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Brescia urge Baggio to carry on Wednesday 31 December, 2003

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brescia boss Gianni De Biasi has publicly asked Roberto Baggio to reconsider his decision to retire at the end of this season.

“We will do everything in our power to make him change his mind,” confessed the Coach.

“If the team can put up a great series of performances in the second half of the season, then perhaps he can realise how much he still enjoys football and want to stay on.”

The Divine Ponytail confirmed in a television interview this week that he wishes to hang up his boots in May, when he will be 37 years of age.

“He gave that interview on a day when his back was really causing him agony,” continued De Biasi. “I want to speak to him now and understand if that really is his view on the situation.”

Baggio revealed in that candid interview – and his recent autobiography – how a devastating knee injury in 1985 affected the rest of his career.

“Ever since snapping all the ligaments in my right knee,” explained the former Juventus star, “I have been forced to run in an unbalanced fashion.”

“That has caused other fitness problems which as I get older become more and more difficult to deal with. I simply can’t carry on in these conditions.”

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
He sprobably still good enough to be in the NT :D

nah well injuries are starting to hit him and so I think he might be making thr right decision for himself personally

but it will be a sad loss to all fans of Italian football, possibly the greatest Italian player of the 90's will be retiring!!!

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts

Brescia boss Gianni De Biasi has publicly asked Roberto Baggio to reconsider his decision to retire at the end of this season.

¡§We will do everything in our power to make him change his mind,¡¨ confessed the Coach.

¡§If the team can put up a great series of performances in the second half of the season, then perhaps he can realise how much he still enjoys football and want to stay on.¡¨

The Divine Ponytail confirmed in a television interview this week that he wishes to hang up his boots in May, when he will be 37 years of age.

¡§He gave that interview on a day when his back was really causing him agony,¡¨ continued De Biasi. ¡§I want to speak to him now and understand if that really is his view on the situation.¡¨

Baggio revealed in that candid interview ¡V and his recent autobiography ¡V how a devastating knee injury in 1985 affected the rest of his career.

¡§Ever since snapping all the ligaments in my right knee,¡¨ explained the former Juventus star, ¡§I have been forced to run in an unbalanced fashion.¡¨

¡§That has caused other fitness problems which as I get older become more and more difficult to deal with. I simply can¡¦t carry on in these conditions.¡¨

channel4

·
Registered
23,142 Posts
Carson35 said:

¡§We will do everything in our power to make him change his mind,¡¨ confessed the Coach.

¡§If the team can put up a great series of performances in the second half of the season, then perhaps he can realise how much he still enjoys football and want to stay on.¡¨

¡§He gave that interview on a day when his back was really causing him agony,¡¨ continued De Biasi. ¡§I want to speak to him now and understand if that really is his view on the situation.¡¨

Baggio revealed in that candid interview ¡V and his recent autobiography ¡V how a devastating knee injury in 1985 affected the rest of his career.

¡§Ever since snapping all the ligaments in my right knee,¡¨ explained the former Juventus star, ¡§I have been forced to run in an unbalanced fashion.¡¨

¡§That has caused other fitness problems which as I get older become more and more difficult to deal with. I simply can¡¦t carry on in these conditions.¡¨

channel4
....again this news?:rolleyes: ...u don't read the posts in this thread, eh? :tongue:

1 - 20 of 76 Posts