Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NoTW is running with the story that we are after him. PLG is said to have met him in Paris to discuss joining him at Ibrox. Pires hasn't said no.

Now let's forget the NoTW credibility, well lack of it, for a second.

Taking into account playing ability & age only do you think this would be a good signing?

For me it's a yes/no on that criteria. No doubting his talents but age is not on his side.

Opinions?

P.S For the record I don't think we're:

a) In for him
B) What Pires is looking for

·
Registered
47 Posts
theres an article in the scotsman about it too..
Pires to be Le Guen's first Ibrox signing

RICHARD BATH - EXCLUSIVE
PAUL Le Guen is in talks with Robert Pires, the Arsenal and France midfielder, with a view to the player joining Rangers at the end of this season. Pires would be a Bosman signing and would be the first tangible evidence that hiring a coach of Le Guen's stature will attract big-name players to Ibrox.
Pires, whose contract with Arsenal runs out this summer, has just turned 33 and has been frustrated by his inability to hold down a first team place at Highbury this season. He has already rejected the London club's offer of a 12-month extension to his contract and now seems certain to leave the club he joined from Marseille in 2000 for £6m.

Le Guen met Pires by chance at a Paris soiree hosted by Puma last week, when the two men were introduced by mutual friends Jean-Alain Boumsong and Didier Deschamps. However, it is understood that negotiations started soon after the two swapped contact details, with Pires stressing his desire to play Champions League football next season and his disappointment at the terms offered by Arsenal. A two-year deal at Ibrox is now understood to be on the table for the experienced midfielder, who has won 73 caps for France.
The news underlines the significance of this afternoon's match at Tynecastle, when Rangers have a chance to peg back Hearts' advantage to just three points with eight games remaining.
Despite Le Guen's undoubted pull, the ability to offer Champions League football next season will be crucial to his plans to strengthen the squad at Ibrox and to keep players such as Thomas Buffel, who has been the subject of interest from Europe. Players such as Nantes goalkeeper Mikael Landreau, Lille's Greek defender Efstathios Tavlaridis, Lille midfielder Mathieu Bodmer and Rennes' Swiss striker Alexander Frei have already been linked with Rangers, yet Champions League football is likely to be a pre-requisite for many of Le Guen's most high-profile targets.
Despite having a vested interest in Rangers prospering during the run-in, Le Guen is determined not to be seen to interfere with current manager Alex McLeish's final months in charge. The two men know each other from UEFA coaching courses and, contrary to reports earlier in the week, met in Glasgow on Tuesday to discuss the squad. Le Guen also spent much of the day house-hunting outside Glasgow.
Le Guen is also understood to have been discussing British football with his fellow French manager and close friend Arsene Wenger. Sources at the London club say that the two men have discussed the possibility of Arsenal sending out some of their top young players on loan to Rangers. Such an arrangement could raise the possibility of midfield prodigy Theo Walcott - for whom Arsenal paid Southampton £5m in January and who turned 17 last week - coming to Ibrox. Walcott was recently linked to a loan deal with Celtic

·
Registered
6,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
That certainly carries a little more weight. Interesting, very interesting.

·
Registered
6,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A.Murray said:
Definatly not - I can't see him being much use to you.
He plays more on the right side than the left yes? If so it adds to earlier claims that PLG doesn't fancy Burke. :rolleyes:

Hope that's not the case. However, only time will tell. I'll judge the signings as a group as well as on individual merits. It's all good saying let's sign a team of 20-25 year olds but we all know that's not how it works.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Burke is only one of the few who has shone this season, and I think that Pires is well past it, you'd be signing another kanchelskis in my opinion.

·
Registered
47 Posts
yeah but le guen has apparently struck up a deal with arsene ta get players on loan and if that means theo walcott comes to ibrox then im all for it and pires is by no means past it

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Depends on his wages I guess, we shouldn't pay him to much and if that's the case then I don't see why not. I like the posible deal about young players coming to Ibrox more though..

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Nah,again,we should be chasing after younger players,rather than players near the end of their careers,looking to have an easy couple of seasons,and top up their pension fund.
No doubt Pires was class,and could probably turn it on up here,but we have got to build on this seasons unexpected successful run in Europe.
I will be disappointed if we get him,to be honest,and even more so if hes to replace Burke,on of only few people to stand out this season.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
He's a good player and featured a lot for Arsenal on the left. He was signed to replace the departing Overmars, don't forget.

However I think it would be a bad move. Particularly if he was going to command a sizeable chunk of our wage budget. It just doesn't really add up.

I'd rather see us going for someone else.

By the way I first touted Bodmer as a suggestion way back when PLG was being linked, and he's a good player so I hope that one's a go-er. I'm not sure how he'd fit in the same side as Ferguson, because they're both similar players. But he's very, very talented.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Its great that all these rumours can cheer me up since all we have left is second place! Something to look forward to in the coming years!

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
His best days are behind him and I doubt he'd be on small wages. I think he would be a decent signing o nthe terms of being a sort of big name. He'd improve the team as he still has qaulity but really I'd prefer to be signing the unknown French guys the up and coming Robert Pires'

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Acoording to most newspaper sources Wenger and Arsenal are unwilling to meet his contracts demands. That poses alot of questions for me. If Arsenal don't see it as financially viable to resign him for the length of term he is asking them why should we? If Le Guen holds Wenger in such high regard then why would he do something his mentor does not fancy doing?

I think an agreement will be reached between Pires and Arsenal. If not there are alot of clubs who could offer him more wages than we can so I just can't see him coming to Ibrox.

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
A.Murray said:
Definatly not - I can't see him being much use to you.

why not, he is still a class act, he still has great fitness and is pretty quick still.

personally i would play him over Reyes and Ljungberg and if it wasn't for his current contract dispute i think he would.

plus he still scores more goals than any other wide player we have at the club.

the wages could be a problem, but if they can get over that he would be a very good servant for 2 years in my view.

·
63,337 Posts
chivoexpiatorio said:
Acoording to most newspaper sources Wenger and Arsenal are unwilling to meet his contracts demands. That poses alot of questions for me. If Arsenal don't see it as financially viable to resign him for the length of term he is asking them why should we?

probably because Wenger and Le Guen despite being pals don't agree on everything. ;)

Wengers views on players over 30 are quite unique, most coaches don't feel the same, for instance Ferguson gave Giggs a longer contract at the same age, everyone has a different view.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
I'm sure Le Guen and Wenger don't agree on everything. If though Wenger thought one of the players he brought to the club was not worthy of the contract renewal he was demanding then I'm sure that is something Le Guen would look at intently. As would other managers unless they were at a club who had lots of money but found it difficult to attract players.

I might be wrong on this but I thought Le Guen would be more likely to spot a cheaper emerging player than buy an overpriced, in wages terms, established player.

Although Arsenal have a young squad though there are still a few over 30s there. With Arsenal being in the Premiership I'd think they can afford to offer players more lucrative contracts. If they can't offer it to someone then I doubt Rangers would be able to afford it.

·
63,337 Posts
chivoexpiatorio said:
I'm sure Le Guen and Wenger don't agree on everything. If though Wenger thought one of the players he brought to the club was not worthy of the contract renewal he was demanding then I'm sure that is something Le Guen would look at intently. As would other managers unless they were at a club who had lots of money but found it difficult to attract players.

I might be wrong on this but I thought Le Guen would be more likely to spot a cheaper emerging player than buy an overpriced, in wages terms, established player.

Although Arsenal have a young squad though there are still a few over 30s there. With Arsenal being in the Premiership I'd think they can afford to offer players more lucrative contracts. If they can't offer it to someone then I doubt Rangers would be able to afford it.

it's our policy though, a lot of fans don't agree with it.

Bergkamp was handled exactly the same, are you saying that you wouldn't want a 32 year old Bergkamp at Rangers? it's just that Bergkamp accepted 1 year deals.

I think Le Guen probably wants young players but as you say all teams need experience and Pires has that in spades.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Jern Lizardhous said:
it's our policy though, a lot of fans don't agree with it.

Bergkamp was handled exactly the same, are you saying that you wouldn't want a 32 year old Bergkamp at Rangers? it's just that Bergkamp accepted 1 year deals.

I think Le Guen probably wants young players but as you say all teams need experience and Pires has that in spades.
I see your point. I didn't know it was an actual policy but just read Wenger referring to it. I would have taken Bergkamp at 32 no problem. It will be interesting if there is any truth in this rumour to see what length of contract Rangers are offering. Personally I think offer a player of of Pires' age on big wages anything more than 2 years would be very wrong and very costly.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
I wouldn't want him on any more than a 2 year contract, although he's still a quality player just now. I've never thought the move was going to happen anyway.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
The whole thing will undoubtedly come down to money in the end.

However to turn the debate on its head somewhat, look at it this way bears. I wouldn't imagine Pires would command any more than 30 grand a week at the moment from a new contract, at his age. Let's say we offer him a two-year deal on those terms. One could look at it as a huge chunk of the wage bill OR a deduction of only £1million from Le Guen substantial transfer kitty, and a mere 10 grand a week for the duration. Interesting way to look at it then, non?

As it goes though, I reckon he'll do a Bergkamp and re-sign.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts