Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
*shakes head*

The whole situation regarding him is a complete joke, and the Australian Federal Government couldn't have done a worse job with it if they tried. For those who don't know the situation basically it's this:

Jovicic was born in France to Serbian parents in 1966. His parents migrated to Australia in 1968, and ever since then Jovicic has resided in Australia, eligible for citizenship decades ago. But two years ago he was deported to Serbia - a country he has never lived in - under the proviso of his criminal record, and now, after being allowed to return on a temporary visa until next month they're trying to force him to take up Serbian citizenship and live there, permanently exiled from a country he has called home for 37 years. This man really does have my sympathy.

In his own words: "If they send me there again I will not survive."

Amanda Vanstone is a greater threat to freedom than Osama bin Laden is.

·
Registered
7,217 Posts
How could they do that? I know a kid who I went to school with who was born in Serbia had his grandmother deported. The whole family had to move back to Belgrade and some of his younger brothers didn't even speak Serbian. His grandmother was a real threat to the safety of the nation... :rollani:

·
Registered
15,157 Posts
I just don't understand how why on Earth they deported him to Serbia. With Magic's example it's a little different since the guy was born in Serbia...but this guy was born in France and never lived in Serbia, doesn't know the language, doesn't know anyone there. I mean if they wanted to deport him somwhere, it should have been France.

·
Registered
7,217 Posts
With my example, most of the kids were born in the US and didn't speak a word of serbian. I can't imagine how hard it would have to be to move back...

·
Registered
15,157 Posts
Well what was their other alternative, stay alone in the US? There have been such cases up here...mother gets deported but child gets to stay since it was born in the country and is thus a citizen...anyways why would they deport a grandmother? What she do, shoplift or smt? It doesn't make sense...

·
International
8,545 Posts
Sir Leonardo, you've got a lot of nerve. Threads bashing the Aussie government or legal system are the sole property of Bandiera and I just don't know where you get off :tongue:

·
Sheperdesque
21,256 Posts
They had every right to deport him as he commited 156 armed robberies to feed his drug habit and was in breach of his permanent residency visa but why he was sent to Serbia is beyond anyone's comprehension.

·
Registered
15,157 Posts
On another note how do you live in Australia for 37 years and not get your citizenship? :confused:

·
Sheperdesque
21,256 Posts
Andrix said:
On another note how do you live in Australia for 37 years and not get your citizenship? :confused:
personal choice and stubborness my friend
i know quite a few wogs who don't want to take up the citizenship even though they've been here all their lives

·
Registered
15,157 Posts
Sounds more like laziness. Doesn't taking up citizenship give you more rights, entitle you to more things? Like, oh, I dunno - travel? And it's not like you have to go to the army or smt...

·
©
7,230 Posts
This whole thing is a disgrace.

I don't know what is worse, the fact they deported him to a country where he has never lived or the fact that they have now brought him back to Australia only to urge him to go back to Serbia. He is a sick man and he hasn't even been given medicare entitlements. What is the point in even bringing him back? Shambles and typical of this government.

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Andrix said:
I don't have one and I've been here for over a decade. :thumbsup:

Andrix said:
Like, oh, I dunno - travel? And it's not like you have to go to the army or smt...
There's a British Embassy in every country in the world mate. ;)

·
Registered
23,873 Posts
Not that I will shed any tears for him then. ;)

Maybe there is some irony in how the former penal colony sends away criminals to a country not their origin. Serbia, the new penal colony.

·
Thought Criminal
14,005 Posts
Bosanac said:
at last count it was something like 156 armed robberies
Why isnt he in bloody jail then???

Thats funny, 156 counts of armed robbery and he was allowed to walk around? Thats wrong in itself...

EDIT: He says he wont be able to survive in Serbia right? Well whats better, that or jail? I would eat ze wagon wheel, eat ze wagon wheel!

No seriously, is it because of his record and them realising his visa situation, the reason behind the deportation? SO if he was to stay it would be jail time?

I dont know its a tough one but id go to Serbia. At least you have your freedom...

·
Registered
15,157 Posts
Serbia, the new penal colony.
Hey, it already feels much like a penal colony for a lot of people without the need to import foreign criminals. Australia just offloading him to someone else is wrong...it's not like he came as a criminal from another country he grew up there. He's a through and through homegrown Australian robber and addict, handle your own problems Ozzieland, sheesh.

·
Sheperdesque
21,256 Posts
legally they can deport him but morally it probably is wrong...
I'm sick of these junkies receiving hotel style accomodation in our jail cells (that's me whingin as the tax payer :tongue: ) kick them all aout (the criminals with no citizenship that is)!!!!

·
©
7,230 Posts
Andrix said:
Hey, it already feels much like a penal colony for a lot of people without the need to import foreign criminals. Australia just offloading him to someone else is wrong...it's not like he came as a criminal from another country he grew up there. He's a through and through homegrown Australian robber and addict, handle your own problems Ozzieland, sheesh.
Exactly right.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts