Xtratime Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due my serious lack of posts this year, I'd thought that I would create a new thread about my beloved club, and in particular Robbie Savage.

I think people who know me well, understand and really appreciate that I really don't have much time from him as a player or as a person. This view hasn't really changed since his day at Leicester where he was involved in quite a contreversial penalty incident against us involving Craig Burley, where Savage jumped after being fouled and celebrated the awarding of the penalty, as if he had won an Oscar for the best actor.

I wasn't at the game but I know at the time, there was a lot of bad feelings towards him after that, only to highten the dis-like for him that they always seems to be.

Since he has been at Derby, in my opinon, been fairly average and larthagic at best, and to me reminds me of a number of players who really are in the team based on their reputation before anything else which to me is a bad state of affairs and also shows you the intend of midfield before a ball has been kicked.

One of my many footballing philiopshies is for the game to be played in the right way, and to me nowadays their are too many footballers are in the team based on their ability to disrupt the opposition rather than concentrate on their own game and look to dictate the play themselves. Perhaps its quiet an extreme point of view, but after watching teams such as Arsenal and Barcleona, only hightens how good teams are when they look to play their own games and concentrate only on themselves and not the opposition.

Relating this back to Savage however, he reminds me very much of a player who goes out to harras and intimadate the opposition rather than trying to dictate the game himself (with the little skill he posses), and its quite often that when he does play, we struggle to control the game and often by-passing the midfield and hoofing the ball straight up to our strikers all the time.

Maybe I am an idealist, but I know other people feel the same way about Savage and would much rather see him out of the team than in it..especially after his radio and tv interviews the less said of Savage the better!!

·
Registered
69,261 Posts
still think he can be useful for a mid-table Championship side (well I know Derby is one...I'll get to that later) or upper level League 1 side, but for clubs wishing to gain promotion to the EPL, like Derby hopefully, Savage should not be a key part of the team.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Robbie Savage won the player of the award last year...I'm hoping this isn't the fans selection!!

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Prety sure Barker won the fans selection.

As for Savage, i'm affraid it looks likely we will see him in the side for the start of the season, can't see James Bailey being thrown straight in at the deep end. Our midfield is seriously lacking in quality, lots of hard work but thats about it, we're crying out for a new idiakez, it can make such a diference, he didn't run around like a mad man winning the ball back, at times he would laze around waiting for the ball, yet that midfield looked more in control than any since, because we had one player who could put their foot on the ball and do something positive with it.

·
Registered
40,302 Posts
i`m watching Derby vs Conventry
Savage made best ball through passing i`ve ever seen by him today against conventry. which was crossed to Hoxey who equalised for Derby`51.

·
Registered
69,261 Posts
anybody watch his twitter videos? :howler:

Must be fair, from the 4-5 matches I've watched this season he has done well, and of course everything is so rosey right now

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
i've not seen any.

Savage is doing alright, i guess a good experienced head alongside the very promising Bailey. Though i would look to possibly strengthen that area looking at a long term replacement, if not in january it has to be done for next season.

·
Registered
69,261 Posts
he will end his career at the end of the season. He could have left in a few months to go to the MLS but he rejected the offer. I think he was good at the start of the season but with him pretty much complaining every time he gets subbed is getting tired

1 - 9 of 9 Posts