Xtratime Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will Robbie fowler follow into a similar path into that of Stan"The man"Collymore?Fowler who lit the world up in his days at Liverpool has really stalled in recent years gone by.

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
He's the 4th richest English player with £28m, so it doesn't really matter what path he goes down now. His best years were clearly with the Scouse.

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
Dont they go dogging together anyway?? Im sure i saw them both in Hyde Park (I was getting some air if you want to know what I was doing there!!).;)

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
Well when he returned against Pompey as a sub after Anelka got injured on 27 mins he looked very good and sharp, a bit like the Robbie Fowler of old. His snap shot was magnificent, and Jamie Ashdown was forced into a world class save.

Since he returned against Newcastle as a half time sub hes done well. The fitness work has done very well for him, and hes managed 2 goals since he returned in 4 games, 2 of which were as sub. He was good against Villa, and we look better with Macken-Fowler than ANelka-Macken, but thats been known now since February when Fowler-Macken played 6 games together and we won 4-1 against United, 4-3 against Spurs, 3-1 against Bolton. I wouldn't dream of selliong Anelka, but I wouldn't start him until we look out of sorts and need him. He needs to learn not to be complacent. The way he returned straight to the starting line up last season against Leeds was disgraceful after Mack got 3 goals in 6 games in his absence. At least Cox had the sense to bench him at Villa last season when Keegan was ill.

~ The Green ;)ne

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Rob and Nic: Theives of themselves

The Green One said:
Well when he returned against Pompey as a sub after Anelka got injured on 27 mins he looked very good and sharp, a bit like the Robbie Fowler of old. His snap shot was magnificent, and Jamie Ashdown was forced into a world class save.

Since he returned against Newcastle as a half time sub hes done well. The fitness work has done very well for him, and hes managed 2 goals since he returned in 4 games, 2 of which were as sub. He was good against Villa, and we look better with Macken-Fowler than ANelka-Macken, but thats been known now since February when Fowler-Macken played 6 games together and we won 4-1 against United, 4-3 against Spurs, 3-1 against Bolton. I wouldn't dream of selliong Anelka, but I wouldn't start him until we look out of sorts and need him. He needs to learn not to be complacent. The way he returned straight to the starting line up last season against Leeds was disgraceful after Mack got 3 goals in 6 games in his absence. At least Cox had the sense to bench him at Villa last season when Keegan was ill.

~ The Green ;)ne
By my calculations, Rob's complacency equals Nic's complacency minus a lot more medals.

But yeah, both are as talented as they are dismissive of their talent but let's not make a stamp of our (often) too hasty judgements; they are both alive if not kicking.

The sum of, Former England International, Danny Mills' talent could teach his team-mates, and us, a few arithmetic lesson on how to make something from near to nothing (and then treasure what you have got).

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
Mills make something of nothing? If thats a pop at what happened against Villa it merely shows your idiocy.

I wasn't being hasty about Anelka. I never said get rid of him. I merely said we need to give Fowler and Macken a go, because in 2004 they've been our best partnership.

~ The Green ;)ne

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
I think you have misunderstood me.

Mills' little talent has taken him far; my comment was meant as a reluctantly made, but fairly precise, compliment and makes no allusions to 'what(ever) happened against Villa.'

(Though thinking about it now, It would have been a good gag, but that was not my aim nor my (cheap) point)

If you read my last post again, and with more care, you will understand that I made no judgement on folks who believe one ManChester City Striker should play instead/ahead of the other as I have not seen either play for the club this season.

I never said you said to get rid of Nic (like you want City to get rid of the Sun).

Admittedly I have called Fowler a 'Leeds reject' and a 'yellow teeth drug fiend' but even from a good distance I realise ManChester City, with no money, and middling results need all the help they can get (including from players of varying qualities) to secure their English Premership status.

You, like us all, have placed easy labels of 'complacency' and 'idoicy' on living creatures who have too much spirit in them to let tacky adjectives become epithets on their tombstones.

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
like you want City to get rid of the Sun
I never said get rid of him, I said I'd rather have Mills at RB. I think that comment was justified by the fact that we have the 4th best defence in the EPL. I did say his contract should not be renewed as he may not play for over a year, and with a club haemorraging cash like we are, we're not in a place to be nice.

I don't think we should get rid of Anelka, but if he left, it wouldn't be the end of the world. He won't be our highest scorer this season, that will be SWP, I believe. He is an individual, not a team player. He is committed and tries very hard when on the pitch for us, but he doesn't suit our style of play. I'd be sad to see him go obviously, but we'd survive without him, and maybe we should consider cashing in and spending the money on a new striker.

I have placed complacency on players but not all too readily. I know Anelka is complacent, because he is guaranteed a starting place pretty much, having only been benched once in 30 months now for a premier league match. Last season it was easy to see the likes of Sun, Tarnat and Sommeil becoming complacent as we had no replacements. They tried, but they didn't push on to keep their places on performances. This season the likes of Macken and Fowler know they have competition, as does Mills, so they push on and put in good performances.

And I apologise for presuming you were talking about the Hendrie-Mills incident, if you look at the way you said it, you can see why I thought it was a swipe.

~ The Green ;)ne

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If Robbie continues the way he's going sadly it could be an early end for him,But he does have the talent to still go on for a while.So what he's a bit eccentric,it doesn't make him a criminal so leave him be.I know some of his antics need to be questioned fair enough,but he adds excitement to the game.
Maybe he needs to return to Merseyside to find his feet again.

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
Well his good form has continued on.

He netted against Boro and Everton and was our Man of the Match against WBA. He has looked a completely new player since his fitness regime, and is definately worth his place in the team.

~ The Green ;)ne

1 - 12 of 12 Posts