Xtratime Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
94,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well Folks ... The Sad Argentinians in S Florida get something to smile about when Saturday nite June 15 the PREMIER teams River Plate and Boca Juniors meet for a "friendly" at Miami's Orange Bowl.

Nothing in Argentina excites the crowds more that when those monsters meet, it should be a great show in S florida.

If I make it to the OB, I will follow-up with a report later ..

;)

·
94,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Did you all know that Paraguayan player Nelson Cuevas, the hero for the S Americans on their last game Vs Slovenia, belongs to River Plate ??

Live and learn .. My motto !!! ;)

·
94,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Dale Bo...Dale Bo.. :dielaugh: & @ the end and with under 5 minutes River Plate went on to win this game here in Miami by 2x1 in front of aproximately 20.000 fans.......

River Plate (2): Comizzo; Franco (14', Pereyra) (80', Astrada), Demichelis, Lequi, Escalona; Ledesma, Escudero (46', Gandolfi), Zapata (70', Raponi), D'Alessandro; Domínguez (58', López) y Cavenaghi.

Boca Juniors (1): Abbondancieri; Calvo, Burdisso, Schiavi, Rodríguez; Villareal (57', Crosa), Pinto, Tévez (80', Pérez), Giménez; Barros Schelotto y Bracamonte (57', Delgado).

Stadium: Orange Bowl de Miami
Goals: 0-1, Burdisso (9'); 1-1, Lequi (89'); 2-1, Rapponi (91')
Read Cards: 29', Burdisso; 32', Escalona.

Great Debut for Pellegrini........

Dale Ri !!!! ;)

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
Escalona is Chilean isnt he? Wow maybe he could be Chilean national team material. The left wing looks strong. Olarra, Rojas, Escalona, Tello.

Yes I knew Cuevas played for them. Hes a gem for me in Championship manager. But in reality hes on the bench for Escudero. Lucky for you to see the great derby live.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Yep,my moto is get Championship Manager to learn:D:D

As you said Escalona is Chilean and i think he is a good player for the future and with Pelegrini i believe he will have chances to shine!!I hope for him to shine and with la roja...

·
94,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
San Jose, Ca Sunday 6-23

Morelia de Mexico 1
River Plate 1

Friendly/exhibition played in San Jose as part of the MLS Double header between San Jose Earthquakes and the Colorado Rapids.

;)

·
94,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
River and Boca will remain in US Soil for a few more days...They both will be sparring partners for America de Mexico, who is getting ready for Libertadores Cup Action....
River and America will play in San Jose, Ca while the Mexican Team will meet Boca Jrs a few days later in Houston, Tx

;)

·
94,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Saturday Nite in L Angeles, Ca

America de Mexico 2 River Plate 1

:cap:

·
94,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On Boca's Trip to US Soil ..........

July 3, 2002
Soccer exhibition stirs fans' loyalties

By MELODY GUTIERREZ
Copyright 2002 Houston Chronicle

The scoreless soccer game was a disappointment, and the slow-paced first half left much to be desired.

But the enthusiasm of the fans attending Tuesday night's match between America of Mexico and Boca Juniors of Argentina never let up. The pace of the match picked up in the second half as some of the 13,411 fans :happy: found their way out of their seats and into mobs of people who shared the same flag and chanted for the same team.

At halftime, Boca Juniors fans went from one side of the University of Houston's Robertson Stadium to the other in an almost ceremonial march with drums and chanting. They wanted a better place from which to see their team score, said Boca Juniors fan Daniel Nacinovich.

"We are really crazy. We are real fans," Nacinovich said. "It's just very rare to see them (Boca Juniors) in person, and they are here in Houston."

The Boca Juniors fans started to gather 40 minutes before either team hit the field. At a half hour before the game began, they waved flags over their heads, some removed their shirts, and they all began jumping while chanting in Spanish "Come on, Boca. We came here to see you win."

"I can't express all of my feelings," said Areal Ribea of Houston. "I want Boca to win."

Boca is still in preseason play, but for America, the game comes right before the semifinals of Copa Libertadores against Sao Caetano of Brazil.

Ricky Camardo, 22, of Houston was in awe of the celebratory mood of the Boca Juniors fans.

"I like how the Argentinians are. I wish we were like that," Camardo said. "Soccer is a lot more passionate for them than in Mexico. They take it to heart."

World Cup fever might have attracted a few fans, but most of those in attendance were adorned in their team's jerseys and hats before they showed up. But that didn't keep the merchandise inside the stadium from flying off the shelves.

"I just finished watching the World Cup, and I came here because I thought it would be fun," said C.J. Smith of Houston. "It's pretty colorful in the bleachers. I like how the Argentines are making a lot of noise in the small group.

"I'm not really rooting for either team. I'm Scottish. I watch Scotland mainly, but they didn't make it to the World Cup. It's not very often that you get several thousands of Mexicans hanging out and having a good laugh. I will probably never see that again."

But Camardo isn't sure the World Cup had much effect on the attendance.

"Most people here are not American. They are Mexican and Argentinian," he said. "We Americans haven't caught on yet. But as our team gets better, it will. These teams are both very good. Anybody could win this game; that adds to the excitement. And Argentina hates to lose to anyone."

The prideful Boca Juniors fans only sparked the America fans to get rowdy. With sombreros and an imitation trophy cup, America's fans ran with a flag and filled the bleachers next to their opposing fans. But there was no trouble on this night. Fans cheered, and even up to an hour after the game they could be heard chanting for their team.

"This is what we live for," Camardo said.

·
94,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lopez's late goal powers River Plate over Rangers

EAST RUTHERFORD, New Jersey, July 13 (AFP) -- Second-half substitute Maimileano Lopez broke a 2-2 tie in the 79th minute to lead Argentina's River Plate to a 3-2 victory over Glasgow Rangers in an international friendly at Giants Stadium on Saturday.

Lopez, who replaced Nelson Cuevas in the 72nd minute, gathered in a long left-wing pass from Victor Zapata before he beat goalkeeper Stefan Kloos from eight yards to stifle Rangers' two-goal comeback before a crowd of 22,070.

The Argentine side had taken a 2-0 lead. Defender Celso Ayala connected from three yards out in the 18th minute, taking a pass from Ecuardo German Coudet at the top of the area. Zapata doubled the score in the 51st minute.

Shota Arvelsadze cut the lead in half for the Scottish side in the 62nd minute, scoring off a right-wing cross from Fernando Ricksen.

Rangers equalized in the 77th minute on a 30-yard free kick by Lorenzo Amoruso.

But only two minutes later, Lopez caught Rangers by surprise for the game-winner.

"We fell asleep on the third goal," Rangers coach Alex McLeish said.

"It was a fantastic workout for us. It must have been a fantastic game to watch."

River Plate coach Chilean Manuel Pellegrini was pleased with the result.

"Every game we're getting better," he said. "It was a difficult rival. After the first half, we were better. We loosened up in the second half."

Rangers defender Arthur Numan was red-carded by referee Jair Marrufo after he tackled Ricardo Ismael Rojas from behind in the 83rd minute.

"At this level of play, he shouldn't be doing that," Pellegrini said. "It's also a friendly."

Said McLeish, "He couldn't stop his momentum. The referee could have been more lenient."

Rangers will play Santos (Brazil) in another friendly here next Saturday.

River Plate plans to play two friendlies in Mexico.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts