Xtratime Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reading that extensive interview with o Pata Atomica was great. I actually was lucky enough to have seen him at the tail end of his career when he guested a few games with the Cosmos in 1978. Of course I had seen him on TV with the Seleção.

My question might require some of the vovôs on this list :dielaugh: to think back a few years.

I had always wondered how Rivellino, a son of Italian immigrants who grew up in Bexiga in São Paulo ever ended up with Corinthians instead of Palmeiras. Now I read that Verdão had their big chance but dropped Riva as a youth player. How history would have changed if Palmeiras had a midfield with both Ademir da Guia AND Rivellino.

Or maybe not....maybe the two greats would not have been compatable in the same team. After all, there was room for only one of them in the Seleção.

Could I ask someone to reminice a bit on the comparison between Da Guia and Rivellino? Why was it that Rivellino emerged as the great Sele player while Da Guia ended up a forgotten reserve in three World Cup sides. We estranjeros know about Rivellino, but what kind of player was Da Guia?

thanks/obrigada....

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Of course they could have played together. Ademir da Guia competed with Gerson for the position of "central playmaker", which had been performed by Didi in the 60s – the 2nd man in midfield. Rivelino was an attacking midfielder. It would have been a terrific midfield partnership. ;)

·
Administrator
30,845 Posts
The reason of Ademir not going are mostly because Zagallo did not liked Ademir. Ademir was , in my opinion, a better player than gerson (but I also admit that for Jairzinho Gerson was a more suitable prospect) but Zagallo had this "thing" and he let here in brazil players like Dirceu Lopes and Ademir, who, if because of the system or the starter player are not meant to be in the starting line up without doubt are great enough and deserved to be there. (The bench in 1970 was not great, very very poor with a few good options such as Paulo Cesar, Edu, Ze Maria, Dario and Marco Antonio who keep changing places with Heveraldo, so there was space for Dirceu and Ademir).

The comparassion between Ademir and Rivelino is like...Imagine Zidane with Gilberto Silva calm and speed. But imagine Zidane with the talent, ball control, vision and offensive work. But with Gilberto's calm and speed. Very Slow, very Calm. Something wrong because he seemed slower than everyone but yet he used to domain and control the ball before everyone.
And think of Rivelino, potence, explosion, potence, explosion.
They could play together, Ademir often played with other players who added explosion and speed to the team, but Rivelino would really be a little up front. And Rivelino is not dumb, his genius fits Corinthians but if he was raised inside the Academy he would have the pace of the Academy because he knew what to do with the ball.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts