Xtratime Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Woke up late today from a bad hangover after a frat party yesterday, turned on the telly and it said - Lazio bought Rivaldo for 48.5$ USD according to Gazzetta. Continued to read and it said that Lazio was going to throw in a couple of players into the exchange.

First I thought what players could Barca possibliy want from Lazio from the players that Cragnotti could be willing to release ??

Some names that came up and my feelings about them: Stankovic - it would be a damn shame if we gave up on Stankovic because I have always thought of him as a future Lazio midfield dominator. This season has been terrible for him but I´d be sad to see him go. Inter wanted to pay us 26 mil usd for him and I guess it would be a good sell at the moment.

Almeyda - nope no way !! is all I can say about the possible selling of Almeyda. When Sensini took over after Almeydas injury then we thought that we didn´t need Almeyda but we couldn´t see the small difference a great midfielder from a good one. When Almeyda came back Veron got more time to do his thing and Lazio is just sooo much better with Almeyda then without him.

Salas - I can not imagine Barca wanting this player because of the fact that he can´t score :( .. maybe they see him as the player he could be and not the player he is and I think he´d be much better in the spanish leauge then in Serie A. Of our most valued players this is the one I´d cry the least about if he left.

Boksic - Go !! Has been dissapointing all season and I can´t really say anything to defend this guy. 2 seasons ago he gave everything for Lazio and therefore I will always have warm thoughts for Boksic but then something happened to his knee, maybe it was the Lazio doctors that screwed it up but since his injury Boksic hasn´t been himself - The same with Del Piero.

Veron - There is no way on earth Cragnotti would move this player away from Lazio.

Nesta - See Veron

Negro - It´s quite possible that Negro will move away from Lazio and it would be a damn shame because he´s a superb player. If we give Barca Negro ( and they want him ) then we have to fork out cash for a new defender and it´s not going to be easy to find one as good as Negro. Read somewhere that Lazio wanted Salgado ?? That would be incredible but also very expensive and could only happen if Real get knocked out in the semis.

Nedved, Conceciao I can´t see them moving away from Lazio - Nedved is probably the darling of Cragnotti and Conceciao is not good enough to play with Barca.

About Rivaldo:

Positive: He is an incredible player - really if you have seen him when he´s good there is no doubt that he´s one of the best players in the world. At Barca he plays to the left of the attack in Lazio he would have a central part and that would really bug some defences. Team up a bullet like Lopez with a technical player like Rivaldo infront of our midfield and you have the a team that no other team would dare to play anything else but 4 - 4 - 2 against.

Rivaldo has a shot from distance that sometimes makes me wonder how he does that and he´s a great freekick taker ( we are collecting them you know, next we´ll buy Beckham and Carlos ), and decent with his head. Dribbling :) He´s just amazing at that and surely in the top 3 in the world.
The biggest thing and the thing that probably decided the deal was the publicity Lazio is now going to get. Ronaldo performed wonders for Inter in terms of PR but he has more charisma then Rivaldo ( he´s cute with his bunny teeth, he is much younger then Rivaldo, in short the world loves Ronaldo ) and it would be great if we got a new sponsor - Instead of Puma maybe Adidas :) - I know they are going to sponsor Juve.

Cragnotti wants to expand his business empire in Brazil but then he´d better get used to the fact that when Brazil calls it´s players Rivaldo will have to go - can´t pull a Salas on Brazil.

Negative: He´s not getting younger - he´s 27 right now and to pay almost 50 mil usd for a 27 turning 28 is not the smartest thing ever + his 6 mil usd a year salary means that he will probably only stay for 1 or 2 years with Lazio. Defensive work ?? Not existant with Rivaldo and sometimes he can dissapear from games. The worst thing about Rivaldo coming to Lazio is that he can´t make it here - if he´s great then it´s expected of him if he isn´t great then he´s not even good ( you know what I mean ? ), and that extra pressure is maybe not what a player needs.

My feelings about the deal vary with the players that will come and go in this deal.

*** YES !! ** YES * yes
Salas***, Boksic***, Simeone**, Stankovic*, Mihajlovic** and even Negro* are fair game.

Almeyda, Veron, Nesta and Nedved stay put.

Lopez and Rivaldo instead of Salas and Boksic sound like a dream. But I hope that Cragnotti doesn´t forget that it´s the midfield we need to take care of not only the offense. Nedved doesn´t have someone to cover for him and I´m not sure Lopez is perfect as a left wing ( even if he can be ). If we sell stankovic then we must take back Baronio etc.

Now this is why a youth system that rocks is so badly needed - we should be able to call up players from the youth system and give them a shot - but there are no youth players in sight still connected closely to Lazio.

To me this is our weakpoint at the moment. Milan - Inter - Parma and Juve all have young talented players waiting to get a shot at playing in Serie A but where are our players ?? We must take better care of our young players in the future.

Marchegani can still be our first choice goalie and I hope that Concetti shows his good stuff or we´ll buy Toldo / Frey.

Cragnotti said that no big changes are going to happen with Lazio - looks like he´s either wrong or he´s lying.

Forza Lazio !!

·
Registered
502 Posts
Toldo will go to Man U or in Spain.
Mihajlovic and Simeone must stay and negro too,i think...But gazzetta said that Almeyda or Stankovi will go!Almeyda must must must stay!

------------------
*AVANTI LAZIO,IL FUTURO TI APPARTIENE*

B

·
0 Posts
Im pretty sure some big changes will happen to the team even though Cragnotti dements that. But he is a club president and that automatically makes him a liar.

It may seem strange to buy a rather old player but we have to remember that he is showing no signs of beeing a less spectacular player even though he's getting older. In fact I don't think that he has ever been better than today and if he stays at a great level for 2 years in Lazio I think it is better than buying a young player that plays just good for 10 years. By the way 28 years, thats quite young for beeing an attacker in Lazio today with our old so called goalscores.

I think that Barca really could need a couple of Lazio players.

Attack - Barca are having some real problems here, Kleujvert and Dani doesn't score so often and without Rivaldo the only player who really can score is Figo and he is an offensive midfielder as we all now. Surely Salas could do better than Kleujvert and Dani and I think it is propable that he will play in Barca even though I hope not...
Barca have a history of buying player that have failed completely in Italy like Kleujvert and Dugarry and I think that we all can say that Salas haven't been such a success.
Bokic is not Barca-quality, Salas may be.

Midfield- Even though they have a great midfield they would need a backup for untouchable Guardiola but it would be crazy to buy an expensive Almeyda as a sub, Simeone would be a smarter and cheaper choice. But with guys like Figo, Xavi, Gabri, Cocu, Zenden and Simao in the team they really don't need reinforcements. I don't think they would need Stankovic or Conceciao but Nedved could take place on the left side. I think that Nedved can be sold evne though he has been our best player this year.

Defence- Not so good actually but Abelardo and F.DeBoer is getting old and slow, Sergi is always injured and Puyol is not a high quality defender. Dehu is a joke and Zenden in defence is a waste of offensive talent.
This mean that if the Rivaldo deal goes through I am 100% sure that Negro wil play for Barca, maybe even Favalli who could give some stability for the team.

The way I see it the only untouchables in Lazio are Veron and Nesta but the rest can be sold if the right price is offered even though I would want to have Almeyda and Nedved on that list.

Propably it will be Salas + Negro + cash for Rivaldo but maybe even Salas + Almeyda/Simeone + Negro for Rivaldo.

With Rivaldo in the team I guess it would be inappropriate to suggest that my favourite attacker Jardel should join Lazio but I guess a couple of defenders + Toldo/Frey/Buffon + Fiore/Baronio is more propable.

Some numbers now about how to finace all this makes this deal looking scary and not so well planned fiancially

Costs: Rivaldo 50 millon$ + Lopez 30 millon $
Toldo 30 millon $ + 2 good defenders (not Nesta quality of course) 20 millon $ + Baroni/ Fiore 20 millon $ = 150 millon $

Incomes: Salas 20 millon $ + Bokic 10 millon $ Stankovic 25 millon $ + Negro 15 millon $ + Simeone 10 millon $ + Marchiegiani 10 millin $ = 90 millon $

If the numbers are approximately right this means that Cragnotti needs to spend at least 60 millon dollars and we will loose some players that are the heart of Lazio. It doesn't sound so good and I wouldn't cry if the Rivaldo deal proves to be just a rumor. But we will surely have a better team than last year if all of this comes true.

Lazio forever

[This message has been edited by Baz (edited 20-04-2000).]

·
Running a lax ship
17,525 Posts
Just got the news from my videotext, it says the deal is done, no rumour exit available and wanted to reflect.

No need for that anymore, as the above posts both reflect my feelings p4erfectly. And these feelings are mixed, very mixed.

On the fear side, I'm a bit worried that history may repeat, we definitely have seen supoerstars reaching a peak at, let's say 28 years of age, and then tend to loose permormance. Maybe slow, but steadily. Another thing on the fear side is Almeyda, I certainly don't like that possibility and I don't like to see Stanko go either, but rather him than Almeyda. Nedved is not in the talks yet, but him going ijn my opinion would hurt Lazio as much as Roivaldo's coming should pamper the team.

Negro, I don't know, may sound strange to some, but I prefer Pancaro over Negro. Pancaro is a working horse, Negro sometimes looks loke a diva, without having the class for that. But that may be only my opinion.

On the hope side now it really be possible for Lazio becoming not only the most prestigious but also the most sucessfull team. Although I'm not on the side of those who wanted to become Lazio a glamour queen at any cost. I'm the old Beppe times nostalgist but players come and go, strategies do either and still, the colour of the heart remains. Biancoceleste per sempre, from serie B to CL trophy and everything in between.

That for any day, twice on sunday, one and a half time on easter monday, pi times on new years day, etc, how ever the famous saying goes in original form :)

·
Canonized
37,734 Posts
Alexx,
Just one thing...i've followed Rivaldo's career since the start, since his days at the little MOgi Mirim in Brazil, and one thing is sure. GIVE HIM TIME! He will not arrive in Italy playing brilliantly...give him 6 months....after that all your fears are gonne, because he is amazing..that's it......AMAZING! :)
He creates, he dribbles, he scores, he headers etc.....is not worried about commercials, fancy cars, beautiful women etc...his only concern is playing football....the real one by the way! :)

------------------
GAVIOES DA FIEL
Pelo Corinthians, com muito amor...ate o fim.
LHP - THE WORLD IS OURS!!!

·
Running a lax ship
17,525 Posts
As I trust your word, Ze, my fear fades. However, by now they say it's no truth in it anyway. Maybe Don Crag just wanted to recover from the minus 3 on the stocks after the Valencia game...

who knows, who knows....

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
He is one of the few players that want to play every game, even the games that don't have any importants.
He got mad when Van Gaal told him to rest.

I think he is wunderful, but we shouldn't get him at this cost.

BUY JARDEL! ( cheaper and deadlier)
(I know you cna't compare them ( Rivaldo has more class), but he would do great next to Claudio!)

This guy made 124 goals in 122 matches for Porto.

ADRIAAN
________

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
By the way, maybe this is just a trick to raise the value of the Lazio shares.
They went up by 5% didn't they?
A good move after the disappointment of the Valencia game.

Is it coincidence that the Rivaldo soap goes on after all this silent months?

ADRIAAN
_______
( just a thought :) )

·
Running a lax ship
17,525 Posts
Yeah, and for the pure fun of it, let's carry the thought around a vicious corner. Let's imagine a writer/editor of a big, influential and widespread sportspaper. What can be done to sweeten the day for him ? Let's check his diary.

It says: Buy stocks of a football club, write an artiucle of explosive news about the club, write the club acquired the most prestigious player of the world, go to the cafeteria and wait for the stocks of that club go up rather nicely. Cash in !

Note: I'm making this up for fun, but are there any equivalents for the laws against inside trading when football clubs are involved. It looks terribly easy to manipulate ups and downs of these stocks by just the common transfer hoaxing of sports papers.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
My god. Is Lazio all about money or something?? One bad CL campaign and a possible loss of the scudetto, and the WHOLE team is to be rearranged?? and RIVALDO?!!? What on earth is happening? Some one tell Cragnotti that THIS IS NOT THE WAY ITS DONE. :(

Forza Juve.

Football is all about M$O$N$E$Y :( :( :(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts