1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
111 Posts
This arrogant attitude sucks. He better quits forever.

so the other day Maradona basically said Roman needs to get his act together if wants to be called up. Riquelme, upset about this and believing Maradona doesnt want him on the NT(not being called up for the two friendlies even though he was busy with Boca and playing like shit) has quit the NT as of today. :yuck:

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2009/03/11/sports/SOC-Argentina-Riquelme.php

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/feedarticle/8396704

are we better off without him? yes? no?

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
What an arrogant attitude! I am so frigging disappointed!

I hope Diego ignores him like if he is not there from square one!

·
Registered
12,570 Posts
The Argies should be so happy about this. I don't get how Riquelme can act like this when on top of everything he sucks. :rollani:

·
Registered
248 Posts
this is a sad news in my opinion.. Because in certain situations against certain teams. Juan Riquelme can be very useful.

I do admit recently riquelme has been playing bad. And the pace of Footbal has evolved immensly. Which doesn't suit his style unfortunately.

Riquelme was my favorite player and still is for the reason that I respect him for the kind of player he used to be in the past. Its sad that the only Classic midfield playmaker thats still playing has quit the national team.

His touch of eligance, the passing, vision, dead ball situations, long shots, the close control, the Flair and the ability to control the pace of the game, Makes him in my eyes a legend. I really find it sad that our NT has lost such a player.

Thank you for all the joy you brought to fans that still admire the lost art of a classic Midfielder. Times do change !!!

for the last time ... Riquelllllllllllmeeeeee, Riquelllllllllllmeeeeee, Riquelllllllllllmeeeeee :strong:

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
Diego should not talk shite about the players OPENLY anymore, now he is the manager he can talk to them and tell them anything he wants.

·
Premium Member
22,583 Posts
I don't know how to feel about this. I enjoyed watching him play for many years. He added alot of elegance to the game, but he also slowed it down when we needed speed.

I really don't know what to say. A sad day, but yet we need to move on.

·
Registered
19,999 Posts
Move on exactly. Maradona knows exactly what he is doing in this case.

The Argentine national team should have a more dynamic player in that position regardless of Riquelme's passing and setpieces.

·
Honourable Mention, October 2011 Photo Contest
18,041 Posts
The Argies should be so happy about this. I don't get how Riquelme can act like this when on top of everything he sucks. :rollani:
...I have a better advice buy Bati and Samuel again, you might win sthg...or maybe Balbo that is cheaper, you won't win but at least he can score.

·
18,041 Posts
Roman acted like a jerk and is since time that with his third person talking, he took the ego train for good and forever.

What Diego said about him, was totally right...in sinthesis a Roman like Copa Libertadores 2007 is great to have (to use not an ancient example) this late Roman? not good at all.

The only bad thing, is that this stuff should be talked in private first; I'm argie and I know what they mean about codes, Diego there (on purpose?) didn't use that not written code and is more than expected this sort of reaction, more knowing the player involve.
Nevertheless even angry, even having problems with the rest of the squad that Roman has, even feeling that he was left with no support, he should talk with diego first in private even if the first didn't before taking this decission.

Reminded me of what not long ago, the not any more starlet and full star Messi answered Cryuff after one of those "kind" Johan's advices.
The kid said "I'll play like I allways did, no matter what's said"...successfull players, and more with age and more when they also faced non succesull periods and harsh critics, hold to that sort of phrases every day more while their careers advance.

I guess is not easy to handle the extreme pressure they have to handle and they start to act like that, justified in some way but also prone to not see that they are making mistakes no matter the intention of the one that is making a critic.

For the future I thing Diego can make the same decissions and make the same opinions about everyone, but first do it in private...all of our players no matter the league or team in the NT are sort of important figures in their clubs and have huge egos...

But let's go back to football:

What I really don't want! is to solve this in an strict football sense with fecking Monetenegro!..give me a****ing break, I hope is not true, Dani might make 10 goals since I write this, but for christ sake I don't trust him at all....
better to try not a full 10 player, but at least a more proven and reliable player as off mid, even if none of them are entirely great lately in the NT and not that lately: Ibagaza, Andres even Lucho are better choices to name some...or the better to see if some kido, appears as great off mid, not necessarily a 10 or pure playmaker.

One thing is sure, Dani is better than Pochito Insua and Sosa el Soso...

The best right now, is too think we don't have a single off mid of truly 10 capabilties and try to arm another squeme, we are loaded in def mids and support strikers; let's make sthg with that and try diff players...

let's not invent a Redondo of 1.90, neither a big tank striker, neither a 10a la Roman...we don't have, so borron and cuenta nueva y punto...

The good thing about this scandal is that at least, even with lots of things going one behind the curtain, is that on contrary with the Redondo vs Bilardo/Passarella, here are no lies and lame excuses of university and hair to hide a problem between a player and a coach; and also a more than probably issue between the new players in the NT and the player in question..at least this is a more sincere episode.

·
Premium Member
22,583 Posts
good thing about this scandal is that at least, even with lots of things going one behind the curtain, is that on contrary with the Redondo vs Bilardo/Passarella, here are no lies and lame excuses of university and hair to hide a problem between a player and a coach;
That gives me a headache just remembering it.

·
Premium Member
22,583 Posts
Culed, If you come back here to my forum with that avatar again, I will report you to the administration. I will not tolerate that in the Argentina forum. You may take this as a warning.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Diego's Román ruin
By Sam Kelly

It should have been a good week for Diego Maradona. His first competitive squad is due to be unveiled on Saturday for the upcoming World Cup qualifying double-header with Venezuela and Bolivia. After the warm-ups against Scotland and France, it's his chance to name a serious team at last.

Juan Roman Riquelme in action during a World Cup qualifier against Paraguay in September

But Juan Román Riquelme's international retirement on Tuesday probably rather spoiled it somewhat for El Diego.

Shortly beforehand, when asked in a press conference how he'd react if (hypothetically) his playmaker were to step down from the national team, Maradona had responded: ''It's not crossed my mind, but anyone who retires from the selección won't play again whilst I'm the boss.'' Cue Román, who told different cameras shortly afterwards that ''we don't have the same codes of practice, so we can't work together'' and that he was retiring from international football.

Maradona's appointment as Argentina coach, of course, was supposed to galvanise the team behind a common cause. Some of the world's most talented players playing under the one man they've all grown up referring to as ''God''. But Riquelme, a player who's been called football's last ''old-fashioned'' playmaker, wears the number 10 for Boca Juniors - as Maradona once did - and perhaps felt a little more overshadowed by his new boss than did his team-mates. There was also the small matter of those ''codes of practice'' he spoke of, which smack of an excuse more than anything.

Last week, Maradona gave an interview to Argentine cable broadcaster TyCSports, and aside from sharing his fear that his new grandson, Sergio Agüero's son Benjamín, will do as his mother wants and grow up to be a dancer rather than a footballer (''I'll burn down every dance academy in Argentina!''), he also explained that he wanted the number 10 shirt to go to a Riquelme who looked fit and capable.

''I need to see him going past a tackle or two, and then combining with the strikers,'' Maradona explained, saying he wanted Riquelme to be deadly ''in the last twenty yards'' rather than back down the pitch. It's worth pointing out at this juncture that since a glorious performance in leading Boca to the 2007 Copa Libertadores, Riquelme has looked distinctly off his best for the last year or so.

Maradona said the number 10 at the World Cup next year in South Africa will be given to a star capable of carrying the team if needs be, and pointed out that when he next saw Riquelme, he planned to talk to him man-to-man about his expectations for his playmaker.

It's worth remembering that last point, because one of Riquelme's gripes when he stepped down from international duty on Tuesday was that: '''I've heard more [from Maradona] on the TV and radio than I have by way of them [the boss or one of his team] calling me.''

Riquelme also claimed that he was ''dying to play for Argentina, and it will hurt to watch the World Cup on TV''. An odd thing to say when you're withdrawing of your own free will from the squad a few days before meeting up with a manager who wants to speak with you personally about your role.

But then Riquelme, for all his undoubted - perhaps unique - talent and style, for all the assists and goals he's furnished his country with, has previous in this field. In September 2006, following a plea from his mother, saddened at criticism of her son after Argentina's exit to hosts Germany at the last World Cup, he first announced he was retiring from the selección. He was talked back for the qualifiers, but it would seem that the team's struggle for form, leading to Alfio Basile's resignation and Maradona's subsequent appointment, has rubbed off on the playmaker.

Golden moment: Juan Roman Riquelme with his gold medal from the Olympics in Beijing

It's a shame, though, that Riquelme - never shy of controversy in front of the microphone - used such barbed terms to announce the decision. Noting an undertone of venom towards the manager, there are some in Argentina who've pointed out that, whatever personal faults and self-destructive traits he had during his playing days, Maradona never walked out on his country as Riquelme now has done twice.

For his part, Maradona offered a chance of reconciliation late on Wednesday. In spite of his pronouncements on Tuesday, he says he'll talk to Riquelme if the player decides he wants to reverse his decision. He surely won't be holding his breath, though, and to that end he's identifying possible replacements for the playmaking role.

One idea would be to send out a (potentially terrifying) front three of Lionel Messi, Sergio Agüero and Carlos Tevez, and tell them to have some fun and create for each other, with Fernando Gago perhaps given a slightly more advanced role than he's previously enjoyed in the midfield. For Argentina, though, an abrupt departure from a system utilising a dedicated playmaker would be a radical change, and it would seem even more so were it to come about under the auspices of Maradona, of all people.

Maradona's already named names regarding the identity of a new enganche (literally 'hook', in this context the link between midfield and attack). Andrés D'Alessandro, currently at Internacional in Brazil, is in contention, but Daniel 'Rolfi' Montenegro of Independiente heads the list. Fittingly, he scored twice against Riquelme's Boca on Sunday as Independiente won the clásico 2-0.

A call-up would be a nice birthday present - he turns 30 on March 28, the day Argentina play Venezuela in Buenos Aires - and constitute something of a delayed arrival for a player who's impressed in the domestic league after failing to break into Olympique Marseille's first team during six months in 1999. Rolfi's been in a couple of Argentina squads before, but this might be his chance to really show what he can do.

Although, as Maradona told the press, tongue in cheek, after revealing Montenegro was in his thoughts: ''I hope he doesn't withdraw.''

Link

·
Registered
115 Posts
I was so upset, I got faith on him, all for him, things he did in Boca make me belive he can do that for ahead, his was so kindly, so good... I can not belive he give up his love so easily, I was so upset that what is the important in our life? We come for what?

Good job, Romy, you won! you won!

·
18,041 Posts
What's funny... I don't get what Fangio's idiotic comment has anything to do with the FACT that Riquelme isn't anything special.
that's a subject I won't even discuss you have a master at it.

BTW did you see it?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts