Votes: 46 43.4%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 1020 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MADRID, June 17 (Reuters) - Argentine international Juan Roman Riquelme is set to join Barcelona if Jaume Llaurado becomes president of the Catalan side in elections on July 23.

Spanish press reports on Saturday said Llaurado had secured a commitment from Riquelme's side Boca Juniors to release the player one year before his contract ends for 4,500 million pesetas ($25.88 million).

``I have an agreement with Boca Juniors and if I win the elections then Riquelme will be playing for Barcelona,'' said Llaurado.

Spanish sporting newspaper Marca said Llaurado had left a deposit of 90 million pesetas ($517,500) with Boca Juniors.

Riquelme was quoted in the Argentine sports paper Ole as saying he would be more than happy to play at Barcelona.

``If I had to choose a foreign club then it would be Barca,'' he said. ``After all, it's where Maradona played.''

How is this guy?????

On the other hand, I heard that Van Gaal criticized Guardiola, he said that Guardiola lost his rhythm in the match Spain Vs Norway, and this has always happened when Guardiola plays for Barcelona.

I think VG would be very happy if Spain is knocked out.

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
I heard Riquelme is quite good. I don't know him, but if I may believe the story's, (and why not?) I'm happy he joins us.

About VG> I think VG would really enjoy a knock-out of Spain. He will feel it as his victory over the Spanish press. Btw, we're doing quite good at Euro2000. Already 5 goals were scored by Barça-players: Figo, Kluivert, Zenden and De Boers all scored one goal already.

·
Registered
8,387 Posts
Riquelme is a great player. Excellent control of the ball, great balance, vision, a good shot, especially on free kicks. He doesn't give balls away, plays smart, creatinve, attractive style. I would say he is like Veron but has the chance to be better. Is main man in Argentina midfield for many years to come. I believe also the VG wants to see Spain fail. But i have to say i agree with him. Pep did not play good at all against Norway. He had no rythm, his passing was poor, he lost a lot of balls and he seemed to play with no hunger to win. But he will come back that's for sure. Yes Dutch, Barca's players are making it happen in Euro2000, but the best players always do, huh!

·
Registered
8,387 Posts
Gaspart has stated that if it is he and not Llaurado that is elected, he will still go through with this transfer of Riquelme. It seems that Riquelme is quite eager to come. He said, "Barcelona is the former club of Maradona, it would be a great honor to play in that club." It would be an honor to have a player of his quality in my opinion.

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
So hopefully this will happen. If he comes, he will cost us 26.5 million Euro. Sounds like a good deal. Unfortunately it will only happen when Llaurado becomes president :(

·
Registered
118 Posts
From Sky Sport football:
BARCA CALLING FOR REINFORCEMENTS

The Spanish media are linking Barcelona with December moves for Ajax’s Romanian defender Cristian Chivu and Boca Juniors midfield star Juan Román Riquelme.
According to Catalan newspaper Sport, Barça have held talks with 20-year-old Chivu’s agent and will now approach Ajax about the possibility of a £15 million move.

The Nou Camp club are thought to be focusing on the former Rapid Bucharest man, who can play anywhere on the left-hand side, after Rangers’ Giovanni van Bronckhorst turned them down.

Riquelme, one of the stars of Boca’s Intercontinental Cup triumph over Real Madrid, has already expressed a liking for the Catalan club.

But it remains to be seen whether they would be prepared to fork out the asking price for the Argentinian - Boca would be likely to demand a transfer fee of over £20million.

One player who could be on his way out of the Nou Camp is young midfielder Gabri. The 21-year-old admitted yesterday (Tuesday) that he favours a loan move to Olympique Marseilles for the remainder of the season.

------------------------------------------------------------

I know we have many midfielders, but If Barca get Riquelme I don't care! Riquelme is a dream player and he's just 22 years. I want him to Barca!!

And Chivu can play left back, and also midfield, he's the most promising left-sided player in the world. I want him to Barca!!

But Riquelme and Chivu is maybe just stupid roumors!!

And it would be sad to see Gabri away form Barca, but he's a young player. And a such good player can't sit on the bench, he can come back to Barca in a few years.

Barca 4ever!!

[Edited by KnuteNorwege on 29-11-2000 at 17:22]

G

·
I hope that Barca will sign Chivu and perhaps even Contra (from Alavés)? Chivu is an excellent player!
But I must say that I prefer Aimar rather than Riquelme.
Not that Riquelme is a bad player but I think that Aimar would suit better in Barca and their way of playing.
And again, I hope that Barca will buy Ronaldinho and Saviola aswell!
And I definitely agree with "OverMars"; Barca have to get a good goalkeeper!

·
Registered
54 Posts
If Riquleme and Chivu it would be great because they have there future in front of them. But Barca Have to buy Saviola he is going to be the best south american player in a couple of years!!!
And a goalkeeper could be Isaksson from Juve he is only 19 years old, he would be great and he should not cost to much!!! And the rumours about Kerion Dyer he is good but not for Barca.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I don`t think we can find so many trash in Barca, to replace it with all these players. :)

·
Premium Member
27,068 Posts
what would be barca's biggest nightmare?

RIQUELME IN ANOTHER REAL LINK
by Sie Barlow & Nic Evans

BOCA JUNIORS are set for a battle to keep their influential midfielder Riquelme, with the team they conquered in the Intercontinental Cup, Real Madrid, topping the list of sides who want the star.
Real have already been linked with a move for Valencia's Gaizka Mendieta whilst Barcelona, one of their potential rivals for Riquelme could be set for an audacious swoop for Madrid star, Ivan Helguera.

The 22 year old was clearly in fine form as his side hit two goals against the European Champions in the first six minutes of the encounter, largely thanks to some fine play from the midfield maestro.

The second goal came as a result of his through ball, feeding team mate Martin Palermo with the perfect chance to score.

The youngster made his debut with the Boca first team in the 1996 Apertura league, manager Carlos Bilardo giving him the opportunity.

Since then, in the Apertura and Clausura leagues he has played 114 matches, scoring 25 times and he was first brought to then attention of the Spanish side two years ago.

Former club President Lorenzo Sanz even travelled across to Argentina to discuss the terms of the transfer with both Boca and Riquelme's representatives.

The transfer was eventually called off after Real Madrid refused to pay the 6,000 million pesetas transfer fee (£24 million).

Sanz, who was watching his former club yesterday, clearly saw Riquelme as the key difference between the two teams. "Riquelme was the best player in the Boca team.

"Martín Palermo did his job, which is to score goals. I like both players myself, although I will stick with following Riquelme."

Real were again linked with the player last June, with former sports director José Martínez 'Pirri' again making enquires about the Boca star.

This time Boca were looking for 4,500 million pesetas (around £18 million). The former Real star clearly would have liked to complete the transfer, the only stumbling block once again been the price. "We would like him, he can be better than Rivaldo."

Current sports director at the Spanish club, Jorge Valdano, who replaced Pirri, was also forthcoming in his praise of the star. "I saw class players in both sides, but the one I liked best was Riquelme."

It seems unlikely that Real Madrid will act straight away to sign the star, as they are more likely to watch developments first. The main development will be the legal battle Riquelme looks set to face with his club, as he looks to leave.

Would this make it difficult for you to sleep the thought of Figo and Riquelme on the same team.

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
My short comments:

You need a GK, buy Juanmi or Prats- spanish :)

Cosmin Contra, not one of my favs :(

Chivu, only seen him in Euro and some games in Ajax-impressive :eek: But isnt 15 mil £ too much :confused:

Riquelme, the commentator said maybe 15 yimes he had already signed a deal with Barca. You might say our swedish guy isnt all that bright :p but on the other hand he never mentions deals at all, so he must have heard this from a very reliable source :) And Aimar vs Riquelem, i would take J.R any day- Aimar cant show the impact on a team that Riquelme has. Aimar is a grewat player maybe but Barca need more then that!
:strong:

I tried using as many smileys as possible :cool:

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
R&Bfan> I agree with you. But if we are talking about a spanish GK, why we are not mentioned Alaves GK Herrea? :confused:

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
PS

I know that Martin Herrera is argentinian international, but he plays in Spain and he knows spanish...

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
Laska kolbaska said:
PS

I know that Martin Herrera is argentinian international, but he plays in Spain and he knows spanish...
Puh! You almost scared me there Laska :)

But you made one blooper.....Which Argie DOESNT speak Spanish :p

And i want a Spanish keeper to really try and get the shaky first team spot Spain International has!

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Sorry I scared you! :)

I know, I know argies speak it, I just wanted to mention that fact. :)

May be we have to sign Canisarez (ex-Real ;) )

·
Registered
7,770 Posts
I certainly don't hope so that Barça buys Chivu:( Ajax needs him, Ajax is a very young team and they need every little bit of experience they can afford. He is an international so he has some experience, and BTW 15 million pounds is the least they can pay, otherwise Ajax won't let him go (I think). If Barça buys Chivu the defense falls apart. Let him play here for at least 2 years and he is better and Ajax has found another young talented defender/midfielder by then.

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Cosmin Contra and Cristian Chivu would be absolutely great reinforcements foir Barca's defence.Lets not forget that Chiveu can play CB as well.Riquelme would be a great buy as well.

As for a keeper,Juanmi is great,Prats is ok but I like Esteban of Oviedo most of all.He is Spanish,young and already linked with Barca.

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
What the **** do we care about Ajax?
As long as we can buy good players from them, we're fine.
Just get the ****in' Chivu.

·
Registered
7,770 Posts
without AJAX, would "Oranje" be less good as they now are ( about 80% of the internationals is an Ex-AJAX player), so shut up! Chivu can let Ajax play better so that th Dutch talents can grow, so think before you say something negative for your own favourite "Oranje" ok? :fero:

1 - 20 of 1020 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.