Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alex Ferguson, manager of Manchester United, was said to be impressed with Argentine playmaker Juan Roman Riquelme after observing him in Villarreal’s Champions League Tie with Rangers on Wednesday. It is speculated that the English club is disposed to paying a fee of 10 million Euros for the player.
Riquelme has been linked with a move to the Manchester club for a couple of years now, and there is a big possibility that he will become a ‘red devil’ immediately after the World Cup.

Although fellow Argentine midfielder Juan Sebastian Veron did not live up to expectation at the club, Ferguson is confident that Riquelme will fit into his plans, and should excel in the Premiership.

Martin Ferguson, the brother of the Manchester United boss attended the match at Ibox and claims that Riquelme is definitely in the clubs plans, although it is too early to determine whether he will move to the club before the end of the year.

Just last week Riquelme told the Argentine press that he was aware of interest from the English club, and that a move to the club would definitely suit him, although he affirmed that he will only make a decision after the World Cup.

Gregory Sica

Does anybody know anything about this

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
I doubt it very much. Villarreal has built their team around Román and I can't imagine him living in a shitty town like Manchester and the english weather.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Roman earlier (when his future was undecided at Barca; when he was on loan to Villarreal) ruled out a move to EPL (Tottenham Hotspur) - he cited the language to be a serious barrier. So a move to Man U seems unlikely, especially since he is much revered at El Madrigal.

Arguing on the other side, he can achieve a whole lot more in his career moving to Man U than staying with Villarreal. And definitely his pay will be better.

Roman holds the ball well in midfield and reads the game so well, that he will be able to make accurate and easy-to-handle passes to Rooney, Nistelrooy and Ronaldo, which will make Man U a very formidable team. He will also be an interesting replacement to Keane.

I don't care for Man U, but will start watching them earnestly if Roman moves.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Tempted to say that maybe he's not suited to Premiership pace, but I actually believe Roman could play anywhere in the world.

Rangers played a pacey game the other night and Riquelme was masterful as ever.

I reckon Roman could do what Veron failed to, at Man Utd.

·
Honourable Mention, October 2011 Photo Contest
18,041 Posts
Rangers played a pacey game the other night and Riquelme was masterful as ever.
That never was a problem for him, the problem comes when his teammates plays like that or with the ball in the air.

Bocha, Veron went tere escaping and worse used as def mid???? hahah, no way, the bastard just made comfortably passes and ocassionally some very good matches in CL, I rmeember one lob goal that man!!!! what a goal!!.

Anyway with keane still there, with Scholes and Becks,,I stiil don't know why teh bought Veron, and worse when running from Justice, bad timing for sure, bad use of him either.

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
Fangio said:
That never was a problem for him, the problem comes when his teammates plays like that or with the ball in the air.

well United have been playing more slow build up lately, but their fans really like the fast game with two wingers, i don't think it would be a good choice as you never know what Ferguson will do with him.

·
18,041 Posts
BTW, I just open a thread of Roman; Bocha; apparently the Rangers game put his pubialgia on a owrse level..mmm..it began to smell like a a 50% Roman in WC, or if Jose dares, not even that. Sad, but we must begamn to get real. This sort of injures are among the worse out there nowadays.

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
man utd forever said:
Just last week Riquelme told the Argentine press that he was aware of interest from the English club, and that a move to the club would definitely suit him, although he affirmed that he will only make a decision after the World Cup.
Knowing Roman, i doubt he could say something like that.

·
18,041 Posts
Knowing Roman, i doubt he could say something like that.
in fact two days ago he said that even loving Bianchi, he promised the President of Villareal to stay, so he stick to his promise, while adding he is very happy there because nobody complains about his style of playing.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Fangio said:
BTW, I just open a thread of Roman; Bocha; apparently the Rangers game put his pubialgia on a owrse level..mmm..it began to smell like a a 50% Roman in WC, or if Jose dares, not even that. Sad, but we must begamn to get real. This sort of injures are among the worse out there nowadays.
Well I tell you what might have happened Fangio... he played for too long. It was his first game back and Roman played for about the whole 90 minutes. Maybe 88 mins, something like that?

Here we all expected to see him for possibly an hour maximum, but Pellegrini did not replace him until very, very late. I didn't see any evidence of injury while he was on the field, so maybe the stress of playing the whole game has caused this? :googly:

·
18,041 Posts
Is an old data lumbalgia, my mistake Bocha, I thought it was pubialgia, which is worse.
In any case this lumbalgia I remember that comes and goes in Roman since time, so is not also sthg to take slightly.

The thing is that witout Roman, Villa is Villa again, so there was no other choice than play..BTW what a waste of sitters Villa players miss with Roman, is annoying.

He was certainly call early, but damn they need him in this sort of games..BTW Peña again today another stupidity and didn't gave the triumph because los vascos missed the penalty.

Knocc, start to think taht if Villa, don't stop the ammount of games for Roman, well, he might jeopardize his WC chances....not again Veron and Crespo for christ sake....

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
man i hope he only plays the champ league games if even that... i really cant go thru another world cup with out roman................ fangio u know if he's playing against croatia?

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
The thought of Riquelme in United is tragical (and I don't believe it), as the Premiership just isn't made for playmakers of his kind.

What I wouldn't give for him to go to Juventus and take over from Nedved in the free role Zizou used to have (or Totti had to mention a Capello-like scenario)! That is - be the imaginative fix-point in a team that has everything else than imagination and a player to dictate the pace and keep posession.

He is made for that classic serieA role.

--------------------Trezeguet
-----Zlatan/Del Piero

--------------Roman
--------Vieira-----------------Camoranesi
------------------Emerson

Sick.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts