Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alex Ferguson, manager of Manchester United, was said to be impressed with Argentine playmaker Juan Roman Riquelme after observing him in Villarreal’s Champions League Tie with Rangers on Wednesday. It is speculated that the English club is disposed to paying a fee of 10 million Euros for the player.
Riquelme has been linked with a move to the Manchester club for a couple of years now, and there is a big possibility that he will become a ‘red devil’ immediately after the World Cup.

Although fellow Argentine midfielder Juan Sebastian Veron did not live up to expectation at the club, Ferguson is confident that Riquelme will fit into his plans, and should excel in the Premiership.

Martin Ferguson, the brother of the Manchester United boss attended the match at Ibox and claims that Riquelme is definitely in the clubs plans, although it is too early to determine whether he will move to the club before the end of the year.

Just last week Riquelme told the Argentine press that he was aware of interest from the English club, and that a move to the club would definitely suit him, although he affirmed that he will only make a decision after the World Cup.

Gregory Sica

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Well, as mentioned by many in the other thread... It'd be a great signing, finally a bit of excitement & creativity from midfield.

No he isn't fast but he is big and strong with a quick brain.

It's too easy to say 'Veron!' every time a play maker is mentioned for the premiership, so what if Veron didn't make it here, does that mean that no number 10 could ever do well in England?

He played well enough against England to be given a fair chance in my opinion.

Old Trafford is all about magic. Players like Best & Cantona are very rare and special talents, they do things on the ball that are talked about for years afterwards, they have match winning abilities.

I don't want to see us follow that ugly route of a midfield full of thugs, it may be effective, but pretty it ain't. We've always been about attacking , exciting football, it's our heritage.

Riquelme could be an Old Trafford great, it's time to bring the magic back to our club. I'm afraid we won't get that whilst Fletcher & Richardson are in the middle.

Even if this report is just paper talk and the rumor unsubstantiated, Riquelme is the sort of player we need to be unleashing Ruud & Rooney to their full potential. Of course it means putting a midfield barbarian next to him, a ball winner to break up attacks and pass the ball 10 feet to the creative maestro.

I would be all for a move for Riquelme, provided the midfield was properly addressed with enough steel next to him.

It's a big if, of course, and until he's playing in the shirt of United I won't believe it - but while the rumors are out there it's worth a bit of thought & speculation.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I agree Simba. With Riquelme though compared to Veron, he is slightly faster and he is stronger. I think he has a much better chance of succeeding here than Veron did.

Would be an amazing signing too. His passing is superb, he can slice defences open with just one pass and he can take a great free kick.

We'd need to put a midfield ball winner next to him though. Mascherano possibly but the most natural for that role would be Mahamadou Diarra. Riquelme and Diarra would be an amazing midfield partnership and would be able to go toe to toe with Makelele/Lampard and Gerrard/Alonso.

Go on Fergie son :p.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Manchester_Utd said:
I agree Simba. With Riquelme though compared to Veron, he is slightly faster and he is stronger. I think he has a much better chance of succeeding here than Veron did.

Would be an amazing signing too. His passing is superb, he can slice defences open with just one pass and he can take a great free kick.

We'd need to put a midfield ball winner next to him though. Mascherano possibly but the most natural for that role would be Mahamadou Diarra. Riquelme and Diarra would be an amazing midfield partnership and would be able to go toe to toe with Makelele/Lampard and Gerrard/Alonso.

Go on Fergie son :p.
How much have we missed a dead ball man? We very rarely threaten from free kicks and corners, it's a part of our game that's been missing since Beckham left.

I agree with you, I think certainly that Riquelme with Diarra/Mascherano next to him would be a very promising partnership.

Park Diarra Riquelme cRon

Works for me :) :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
Simba said:
How much have we missed a dead ball man? We very rarely threaten from free kicks and corners, it's a part of our game that's been missing since Beckham left.

I agree with you, I think certainly that Riquelme with Diarra/Mascherano next to him would be a very promising partnership.

Park Diarra Riquelme cRon

Works for me :) :thumbsup:
That would be a very nice midfield. Riquleme would be a great signing. Even if he didnt suceed in the Premiership, with the correct tactics he would still be a match winner in European matches, a reason why i didnt want to see Veron go. It would be a waste of money just to use him as European player though.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Requelme in the united midfield is good for only one team and thats united. He can feed off ronaldo, rooney and van nistlerroy and create chances out of nothing. He could even be the next best thing to ronaldinho. Of course its only a rumour so nothing has been set in concrete YET.

but if he comes and creates an impact it could be what fergie has been looking for all these years, a natural playmaker who is a central mid.

And to those who doubts that he xan play in the premiership, watch him against england, thats plenty of proof that he can play anywhere.

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
I fear he may be too slow in the premiership. He likes to dwell on the ball like Veron and does not like getting hustled. It showed against Rangers in the second half when they started roughing him up, he almost dissapeared.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
fizzi_g said:
Of course its only a rumour so nothing has been set in concrete YET.
Of course, it's merely speculation, but that's all us United fans can do these days.

Every good midfielder around will be linked to United in the papers over the coming months, literally every single one of them.

My personal feeling about the midfield is that I wouldn't want to see two machines in there, Mascherano & Diarra or Gattuso for example... it just doesn't appeal to me.

There needs to be a spark, a bit of creativity - something to set it all off.

Please don't misunderstand me though, i'm not saying I don't want the midfield to be toughened up with ball winners. I'm simply saying I don't want our midfield to consist solely of ball winners.

Riquelme is a magical player, unique.

When I sat back and thought about Riquelme spraying the ball across to Ronaldo, or playing a deft touch through to Ruud or Rooney, it just got me thinking how glorious it could be.

Even if it is only paper talk, Riquelme is the quality of player United should be in for; Richardson & Fletcher just simply won't do, it's an embarassment to the club.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Simba said:
Of course, it's merely speculation, but that's all us United fans can do these days.

Every good midfielder around will be linked to United in the papers over the coming months, literally every single one of them.

My personal feeling about the midfield is that I wouldn't want to see two machines in there, Mascherano & Diarra or Gattuso for example... it just doesn't appeal to me.

There needs to be a spark, a bit of creativity - something to set it all off.

Please don't misunderstand me though, i'm not saying I don't want the midfield to be toughened up with ball winners. I'm simply saying I don't want our midfield to consist solely of ball winners.

Riquelme is a magical player, unique.

When I sat back and thought about Riquelme spraying the ball across to Ronaldo, or playing a deft touch through to Ruud or Rooney, it just got me thinking how glorious it could be.

Even if it is only paper talk, Riquelme is the quality of player United should be in for; Richardson & Fletcher just simply won't do, it's an embarassment to the club.
I agree with you 100%. We need somebody to control the midfield and break up any attack and somebody who can actually start up an attack. We need a rugged good 'ol sob who will sit in the holding role i.e gattuso, diarra, cambiasso. And for the attack someone like Kaka or requelme or even diego of porto.

If we find the right combination who knows what united could do next season

·
Banned
2,825 Posts
This lad would change everything, if he signs I can see United competing in the Champions League and the EPL straight away. I mean he is carrying an average Villarreal team to dizzy heights.

IMO he is an equal to Ronaldinho in terms of effectiveness, and he has a huge future ahead of him. His passing is sensational, I can only imagine Ruud is drooling at the prospect of having a player like Roman in the team.

And Rooney can learn something from the Argentine master ;)

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
We'd certainly dramatically improve with him in midfield rather than fletch.
We need a playmaker, we've lacked the final ball consistantly since the days of beckham.

He would certainly have a massive impact on our current midfield.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
There is no quote coming from Riquelme besides Villareal would never sell him for less than around 20-25 m Euros I think.

He is simply to important for them.

Koeman4 said:
Llaneza, General Director: "Roman is not on sale. They shouldn't waste their time looking for money, because Riquelme is not moving". He added that Villarreal won't even listen to any offer and they already said "no" to Real Madrid, who asked for him 2 months ago.

http://www.as.com/articulo.html?d_date=20060224&xref=20060224dasdaiftb_40&type=Tes&anchor=dasftbA00

·
Registered
273 Posts
'Just last week Riquelme told the Argentine press that he was aware of interest from the English club, and that a move to the club would definitely suit him, although he affirmed that he will only make a decision after the World Cup.'

That indicates he's given a quote that he's prepared to join a bigger club. To be honest, if Fergie sees him as the ideal player for us, he would probably spend the 20m euros on him I hope. He has to now really. As for Villarreal, I think if they had an offer that big then they'd have to sell him. They're in the Champions League and they've had a big rise but with a town of just 40,000 inhabitants, they're always going to be a selling club when big money comes into play. They're just not a big enough club to keep hold of him if a club like us or Real went in for him imo.

·
Registered
790 Posts
IF he takes a mean corner, I'm more than happy to have him. He'll need players like Ronaldo and Rooney running off the ball to keep opposition thugs busy though.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
He's not very fast. Okay quick Brain etc. but his pace really lets him down. He is a good player, but like Veron i don't think the premiership will suit him.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
We'll have him even if there is a chance he might fail in the EPL. Just imagine he doesn't! He could be the missing link to get our trophy back.

·
Registered
42,727 Posts
fizzi_g said:
Requelme in the united midfield is good for only one team and thats united.
He's decent for Villarreal and Argentina :pp

Seriously, I know what you mean.

It'd be an interesting signing; would he make it? Maybe.

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
I love Juan, but I dont think he fits in the Premiership. The pace is just too fast for him. He can play well in some matches like the one against England but in match after match, season after season it will get too much. Even Veron played some good matches. Lets just face it, the premiership dont suit playmakers like Riquelme, Zidane and Veron. Those who could make it are faster players like Aimar. He will suit the english game well I think, if he gains just a little more strength.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Starcraft said:
I love Juan, but I dont think he fits in the Premiership. The pace is just too fast for him. He can play well in some matches like the one against England but in match after match, season after season it will get too much. Even Veron played some good matches. Lets just face it, the premiership dont suit playmakers like Riquelme, Zidane and Veron. Those who could make it are faster players like Aimar. He will suit the english game well I think, if he gains just a little more strength.
Yeah i agree with you there. Theres alot more time on the ball in serie a and la liga then theres in the premieship.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts