Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
article on them at skysports

Barcelona have admitted they are unlikely to take back on-loan duo Juan Roman Riquelme and Javier Saviola at the end of the season.
The pair are currently at Villarreal and Monaco on respective loan deals, and have both been in impressive form this term.
Riquelme, who is in his second successive season at Villarreal, has been the catalyst behind The Yellow Submarines' superb recent domestic form which has shot them into UEFA Champions League contention.
Saviola, meanwhile, has notched nine goals for Monaco so far, and helped the French outfit progress to the last 16 of Europe's premier club competition.
However, Barcelona director of sport Tkixi Beguiristain has intimated there will be no place for either player at Camp Nou next season despite their eye-catching performances.
"We have still not spoken with Riquelme," he stated. "We don't know his intentions and we don't have any offers for him.
"It could be difficult for him to return, because he is a non-EU player and we already have those places filled - but we haven't discounted anything yet."
Of Saviola he continued: "Regarding Saviola, he is not a player who can play on the wing, and is not a similar type to (Ludovic) Giuly.
"As for forwards, we have Eto'o who is the best in the league, and with Larsson to complement him we have everything covered.
"We could not give that role to Saviola."

·
Premium Member
27,068 Posts
I think it's more political, If I'm right these players were signed by the Gaspart regime.

·
Banned
13,144 Posts
They just don't fit in the system. And we already have 3 non-EU so it rules out Riquelme anyway.

I rather use them as make-weights for other signings, like Joaquin or a class CB.

·
I Need More Cowbell!
7,047 Posts
It is politics. Saviola is getting his EU passport in a matter of months and Marquez is as replaceable as they come.

I wonder what would Braca do if Ronaldinho fell victim to a serious injury...

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Loco said:
It is politics. Saviola is getting his EU passport in a matter of months and Marquez is as replaceable as they come.

I wonder what would Braca do if Ronaldinho fell victim to a serious injury...

mayb 1 day it will happen

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
i'd love to see them both next year with the team but it's highly unlikely to happen so it's better to sell them if we receive the right offer
a swap would also another option,if just hope that they'll find a team were their qualities and abilities will be well exploited

·
I Need More Cowbell!
7,047 Posts
Ofcourse they don't fit! Saviola was never played in his natural possition and was often asked to do the impossible -- lead a Dutch-plagued Van Gaal team to victory.

Barcelona didn't cough out the $20+ million for Saviola in vain. Had they played him as he played in River (supporting Juan P. Angel), the front office would bow at his feet.

Yeah, and there's that Gaspart issue...

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
I couldn't care less about that little runt Saviola, but can the worlds please align perfectly so that Roman can remain with Villareal?

It's the perfect match, and they provide such exciting football.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
I'm a bit sad that Saviola won't be back--but I don't care for Riquelme. To be honest, our system is working extremely well. We will buy reinforcements in the summer and will be back stronger next year. Neither Saviola nor Riquelme are fundamental to our team's future success.

·
Honourable Mention, October 2011 Photo Contest
18,041 Posts
I'm a bit sad that Saviola won't be back--but I don't care for Riquelme. To be honest, our system is working extremely well. We will buy reinforcements in the summer and will be back stronger next year. Neither Saviola nor Riquelme are fundamental to our team's future success.
...intrinsecally nope, but if Villareal keep Roman and add some quality players, Villareal that already are a menace will be more next season, that is something to be thought.
(in fact the football display in first half of season by them wasn't far from nowdays, just that the forwards missed lots of easy ocassions; took no few balls to continue in that offensive style while results didn't come, that was a great and brave bet from Pellegrini and the Management).

Of course I hope Barca don't see this so I will enjoy watching Roman in Villa, and like I said many times before, Barca is an arm team that doesn't deserve to be disarm, the only thing I think many Barca fans still don't realize is that Roman in form is not just a good player, is an extraordinary one.
And remember Batca Rule, is not the system what is working extremely well, are the players in IT, the ones working, systems must change due to the characteristics and form of the players you have, if Ronie, Deco and cia, are in lousy form the system won't work.
In big clubs with big resources, this things must be analysed, if not you find yourselve playing with Raul Bravo as RB, or having the luck of finding Marquez as an efficient DM (BTW bad luck was there too with the legion of injures of players for that role, another example of shit happens, and nobody can say that Ronie and Deco won't get injured at the same time).

I think is related more to a new project, that even knowing that Saviola and Roman are quality are also residuals from Gaspart, plus they really have expensive contracts, plus they wanr to avoid issues with current players, the taste of the coach is finally listen!!.

Is smart from Barca, and respectfull towards the current team, and coach to not bring possible problems to the current armony, but also players of the level of Saviola and Roman deserve an honest face to face reunion to see if there is some path were all can go together, not the usuall madness of previous management. At least that, if not if at the end of next season Roman is holding a Cup with Villa, or another club, will be sad for Barca.

Saying all this, maybe you just don't like a bit Roman, and is more than understandable your idea, jejeje, and don't required the analysis of any of the variables I expose here, I have the same feeling with lots of players.

·
Honorable Mention, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
21,026 Posts
Fangio said:
but if Villareal keep Roman and add some quality players, Villareal that already are a menace will be more next season, that is something to be thought.
I have a feeling though that Vila-real won't do that, they will probably let some players go next year. JRR might be the first one.

·
18,041 Posts
I have a feeling though that Vila-real won't do that, they will probably let some players go next year. JRR might be the first one.
Yeap, Barca seemed determined to cash him, or using him to do an exchange, is said the loan contract don't leave any space for Villareal to even complain...is all in Barca hands.
Plus Forlan will be surely another target, and is a miracle G.Rodriguez reacged Villa since even Juve is from years after him...

·
Honorable Mention, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
21,026 Posts
Reina might also leave, I am pretty sure his contract is up as well and he will be coveted. Its a shame as they have been a pleasure to watch in most games.

·
18,041 Posts
But if they are smart, they have a loaded President, maybe CL next year, plus some addition, they will become even better and is hard to leave this kind of ships, every new club is starting again, nothing feels better than home many times...Roman is harder because al Barca se le hace agua la boca con la guita o moneda de cambio que representa, y lo tiene por demas abrochado. One thing is sure if Roman goes to Italy, will be a big mistake that will yake quality to the whole liga, like when Reyes went, or Torres leaving, or Cesc, and no far in time Aimar near leaving, Milan, Juve, or Inter with any of these can dominate for many years.

·
Third Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
1,944 Posts
Loco said:
Marquez is as replaceable as they come.
Politics it is. Barca started a football school in Mexico to tap into some of the talent there. It would be weird without Marquez on the team. I'd imagine he is like a liaison between the club and Mexico. A representative for our club to the people, to help with the popularity of Barca there. Besides, he's a decent player and a good backup. He probably won't be leaving Barca anytime soon.

Riquelme will be used as bait this summer. His stock is incredibly high right now, and we can use him for some major cash or swap for another player that we need (CB). As much as I'd like to see him in Barca, he's most likely gone. It seems as if Barca wants Cash + Gonzalo for JRR?

·
Registered
10,011 Posts
i dont think we will take back reina cuz he is well settled at villareal and though he is a gr8 goal keeper............so is victor valdes and i am afraid neither can sit on the bench.....u guys shudn't sell him becuz if u have a good goal keeper that solves a lot of problems for the coming years..............after the defensive midfielder craze it cud be the goal keeper craze...................

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
I don't know much about Villa, but if they qualify for champions league, I can see htem keeping most of the team, and adding a player or to.

If they do qualify I would love to see Riguelme & Forlan in Champions League together.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts