Registered
58,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
The Ronaldo goal in the UEFA cup final was a close call but correct

·
Registered
58,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Btw Simeone's assist for Zamorano doesn't get enough credit. Such a precise long ball.

·
Registered
58,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
🖤💙

·
Registered
15,805 Posts
The Ronaldo goal in the UEFA cup final was a close call but correct View attachment 70481
Hmm maybe he was onside actually. Certainly looks it there. I haven't seen a slo-mo of that since '98.

The replays were abysmal in those days and there was no technology (at least that I know) that drew lines parallel to the halfway line.

I remember the Irish pundits who did pre- and post-match for that game were particularly dreadful. It was the standard 3 Stooges they got for every big game, but I remember the powerfully stupid former Man U numpty John Giles - who had only seen highlights of Ronaldo playing at that point - said R9 was a 'typical English centre-forward' in the 'Alan Shearer mold'.

LOL :LOL:

His co-pundit was ex-Inter man Liam Brady, who quickly pointed out how unbelievably stupid that idea was.But Giles stuck to his guns of course. One of the biggest idiots in the history of the sport IMO.

Anyway, yeah, decision looks legit

·
Registered
58,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Yeah agreed, replay was shit and didn't pause the moment Moriero made the pass. I had to pause the video and take a screenshot to see Ronaldo's exact position.

Brady actually scored the first goal Inter scored after I was born - in a UEFA cup home game against Hamburg from a penalty. I was born 9-12-1984 and that game was on 12-12-1984. :) I checked that out of curiosity before..

·
Registered
15,805 Posts
Brady was a very good player.

The best Irish player of all time IMO (above Keane).

I remember the commentators and pundits back in the day said the Ronaldo goal was 'clearly offside', so that had prejudiced my view. I suppose that is really the best thing about VAR - there are really no iffy offside calls anymore.

·
Registered
15,805 Posts
Certainly our best ever central defender but he had a pretty ropey club career, mainly because of his alcoholism.

He is probably the most loved Irish footballer, that's for sure. And ability-wise I wouldn't say anyone really tops him. He was a natural CB.

But he spent the last 9 years of his career at Villa, Derby and Sheffield United and only ever won an FA Cup with Man U.

His record pales in comparison with Keane or Denis Irwin.

He did put in the greatest Irish national team performance I have personally ever seen though, marking Baggio in WC 1994 while injured.

·
Registered
44,713 Posts
Mori has a problem with me praising McGrath.

I just found his defensive game to be exceptional. Like @red said, he's up there ability-wise. The really striking thing is that, even when his knees were shot, there was no such thing as a 50-50 for him. He had this unique ability to win challenges even when he looked 2nd best before making it. Part of it was due to trickery...he'd run at a slower pace to make his opponents think he wasn't going to get to the ball but he'd switch up to full pace at the last moments to take the opponents by surprise. He had a badass combination of determination, skill, know-how and awareness. Unfortunately, he had his inner demons and injury problems which deprived him and us from a stellar career. I'm trying to imagine what it would be like if he'd been playing in a later generation, say, starting in the mid-90's.

And yeah, that performance against Italy was phenomenal.

Here's something I only saw a couple of years ago. McGrath playing vs a Rest of the World side including Maradona in '87. McGrath was MOTM and you can see why:

·
Registered
31,975 Posts
Jackie's Ireland (along with our nemesis Spain) had beaten Denmark to the WC qualification on goal difference, and Italy being my "reserve" team, I was a bit rattled in the opening faces of that WC.

I was happy that Norway didn't proceed from the group, though, there were some sour grapes over the fact that our "little brother" had qualified and not us, the reigning European champions. People ridiculed their style of play too, which, given the way Richard Møller's team played at the time, was a clear cut case of the pot calling the kettle black. In truth, they had beaten both England and the Dutch in qualifying, and they seemed more hampered than other teams by the crazy heat in the US.

·
Registered
44,713 Posts
McGrath had a very solid game against Norway too, if it makes you feel any better.

Also, if it makes you feel any better, I was pissed off about Belgium not making it to the next stage.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts