Xtratime Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seen the on the news this morning Dave Mackay has passed away aged 80. A true derby legend as player and manager!

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Calls for a statue at the ground being made, and the club has already stated an announcement will be made regarding a fitting long term tribute in due course.

·
Premium Member
22,104 Posts
RIP to an absolute legend! As a player he was the catalyst for what happened to this club in the 70's. The only Derby player ever to win the football writers player of the year award in 68/69 (Colin Todd won the Pfa award in 74/75) he taught a young derby side how to win. He'd retired by the time we won the league in 71/72, but was back after Clough left in acrimonious circumstance, and did the unthinkable, created an even better team. For me his teams from 74 to 76 were Derbys best, and he never gets enough credit for his title win. People always talk of cloughs derby side of the 70s.

As for a statue, there's 4 big icons of derby county, bloomer, Clough, Taylor and Mackey, and only one isn't currently honoured with a statue at pride park, it would only be right in my opinion.

Also I had the joy of meeting him when I was a young lad, as he was doing a radio advert for my dad's mates business. A true gentleman.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I think the team was stronger with the likes of Nish, Rioch, Lee and George added to it, as well as a few others.

·
Premium Member
22,104 Posts
Powell, Newton, Davies as well

·
Premium Member
22,104 Posts
Saw it on the news at the in laws :proud: was great to see legends of his team their for the unveiling. McFarland, George, Hector and more.

I'll see if I can find a good pic.

·
Premium Member
22,104 Posts
Last night the club also held a celebration dinner, for the 40th anniversary of Mackay's championship winning team, with loads of the team from back then in attendance. Only Charlie George could get away with a red tie :D

·
Premium Member
22,104 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,104 Posts
He certainly was :thumbsup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts