Xtratime Community banner

RIP Azeglio Vicini

935 views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  pirri 
#1 ·
He would have been 85 on March 20.
Romagnolo, from Cesena, he played for Vicenza, Sampdoria and Brescia. He retired and started as a coach at Brescia before entering the FIGC. Coach of the under 23 NT, then the under 21 NT (a final in the European tournament in 1986) and finally the first team with which he obtained a brilliant semifinal in the Euro 1988 and the third position in the world cup which was held in Italy in 1990, after a semifinal vs Argentina which gave us the feeling Vicini could have made better choices. Anyway, we should give credit to him for giving a chance to Schillaci, the unpredictable one-hit wonder of that world cup. Vicini was replaced by Sacchi after 6 games in the following European qualifiers.

See less See more
#6 ·
Berti was suspended after picking up a two yellow cards.
Berti was a force of nature during his youth and was a starter. The main dissapointment aside from vialli ( who wasn't the most reliable striker i've ever seen) was giannini. He was just meh. Giannini had an early peak..he was at his best from 87-89 even though he should have been at his peak by 1990..he was done by the time he was 30.

#7 · (Edited)
There wasn't that many alternatives to Giannini, I guess, even though he wasn't Antognoni, let alone Pirlo. But sure, a typical Roman choker.

Re Vialli I was thinking about the goal twins, perhaps a 4-3-3 with Baggio Mancini Vialli. But then what about Donadoni.

#8 ·
I also think playing a sweeper hurt us. I'd have just picked the entire milan backline

and played this

Zenga,Maldini,Baresi,Costacurta(Vierchowod),Tasotti,De Napoli, Eranio,Donadoni,Berti,Baggio,Schillachi

Marco Nappi needed to be a sub..he was HELL to play against.

I was never a fan of mancini. A poor mans totti.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.