Xtratime Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
RIO SCOOPS DOUBLE AWARD
by Chris Bargh

ENGLAND defender Rio Ferdinand won the Leeds United Player of the Year and the Player's Player of the Year Awards at Tuesday night's end of season dinner at Elland Road.
The United skipper, in his first full season at Elland Road following his record breaking £18million transfer from West Ham in November 2000, emulated Lee Bowyer's achievement last season when he scooped the two top seasonal awards.

Alan Smith was the clear winner of the Leeds United Young Player of the Year award and also picked up the Best Contribution to the Community Award for the second year in a row.

Smith followed last year's winner Paul Robinson as the best young player at Elland Road and his community award was a testament to all the extra hours work he does off the pitch.

Australian striker Mark Viduka won the Goal of the Season Award for his strike in the 4-3 defeat by Newcastle at Elland Road in December.

The dinner in the Pavilion behind the East Stand was attended by all the Leeds squad as well as a long list on national and local celebrities.

There will be more details and highlights from the evening on Wednesday.

Player of the Year - Rio Ferdinand
Player's Player of the Year - Rio Ferdinand
Young Player of the Year- Alan Smith
Goal of the Season - Mark Viduka - v Newcastle Dec 22nd 2001
Best Contribution to the Community - Alan Smith

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Congrats Rio!!!:happy: He has been the top player this season and has deserved it. A great Captain... Also, good to see Smithy grab an award. He has also done really well... Congrats to u all!!!

:tongue:

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
SKIPPER THANKS FANS AND PLAYERS
by Chris Bargh

LEEDS captain Rio Ferdinand thanked team-mates and fans alike after picking up two awards at Tuesday night's Player of the Year dinner at Elland Road, while local hero Alan Smith was also one of the stars of the evening.
Ferdinand, who cost £18million when he moved from West Ham 18 months ago, was greeted by calls of 'Rio' and 'what a bargain' as he collected the Player of the Year and Player's Player of the Year Awards.

Rio was quick to praise Leeds supporters and all the club's management and playing staff.

"To be voted as Player of the Year by your fellow players and by the supporters there is nothing better and I really appreciate it. This is a wonderful honour," said Ferdinand.

"When I heard the price was £18m I admit that I was shocked, but it has really worked out well for me and I am delighted to be playing for Leeds United. I knew it was the right move for me from the moment I met the manager and the chairman because they sold the club to me.

"The manager and his coaching staff of Eddie Gray and Brian Kidd have helped me to become a better player and to be with such quality players every day helps you to become a better player yourself.

"It is great for me to be involved and for me to be able to go out there and play for Leeds United. I will give 100 per cent every time and if that is good enough then thanks a lot."

It was also a special night for Alan Smith who followed Ferdinand's lead by scooping both the Young Player of the Year and Work in the Community awards, while Mark Viduka was judged to have scored the goal of the season for his effort against Newcastle in December's 4-3 defeat.

The Club also continued their generous work to local charities.

Leeds United handed over a cheque for £40,000 to Martin House Children's Hospice in Boston Spa.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, too bad. If ur a defender and ur the Captain you automaticly sign up for injury duty...:mad:

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
That seems to be the trend around here doesn't it? Well, they work so hard for the team, and then go and get injured.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh, I guess it's just a problem that we will ahev to get over. All teams get injuries but I guess we just didn't get lucky. Next season will be better...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts