1st Tier Poster
49,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quarterfinals starting tomorrow and there's loads of great games:

Australia v Lithuania
Spain v France
USA v Argentina
Croatia v Serbia (WWE deathmatch)

USA has not exactly dominated hugely in recent matches but at the same time they weren't really close to losing these either, despite of the narrow 3-point win margin both vs Serbia and France.

I predict Australia, France and Serbia going through from other games.

·
Registered
42,712 Posts
I haven't seen Lithuania but heard they got crushed by 50 points against the Spaniards. The Boomers have been in very good form and in the last two matches vs China and Venezuela we rested Bogut and Mills, getting plenty of minutes into our bench.

Though there's a feeling 2020 will be our time when we've got Simmons, Maker, Exum etc in the team.

·
1st Tier Poster
49,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You think Australia is too good for Lithuania? Shouldnt Lithuania actually be favorites in this tie?
yeah they're the slight favorites probably, but for some reason i have a feeling Aussies got this

edit: I checked and apparently the bookies consider Aussies to be pretty significant favorites in this tie...

·
1st Tier Poster
49,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ozzies dominating pretty clearly so far. I'm actually supporting them in this (unlike 90% of Estonian's I guess)...there's something inherently unappealing in Lithuania's offense in recent years...very slow and deliberate.

·
1st Tier Poster
49,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
not a complete impossibility actually...

if France makes it past Spain, I can see a small chance they might knock USA out...they lost to them by 3 points while playing mostly subs...and overall they match up pretty well vs them.

And Australia is definitely able to beat Balcunts in the other semi, as well as anybody but USA in the final.

·
Registered
4,921 Posts
Aussies have been the 2nd best team throughout the games so far. Spain is finding their groove a bit after a slow start too. Should be an Aussie-US final though

·
1st Tier Poster
49,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
USA pretty comfortably holds off Spain...overall a pretty boring low tempo game where USA didn't build any huge leads but were always ahead by about 5-10 points. Offensive rebounds and 2nd chance points were the difference maker.

·
1st Tier Poster
49,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
really scrappy 1st half...both teams shoot threes with less than 15%

and Aussies only 14 points in 1st half :facepalm: can't even remember when was the last time I saw such a low total...

·
Registered
4,921 Posts
USA pretty comfortably holds off Spain...overall a pretty boring low tempo game where USA didn't build any huge leads but were always ahead by about 5-10 points. Offensive rebounds and 2nd chance points were the difference maker.
That is how they won all their competitive games so far. It's really hard to bully them off the boards and avoid turning the ball over

really scrappy 1st half...both teams shoot threes with less than 15%

and Aussies only 14 points in 1st half :facepalm: can't even remember when was the last time I saw such a low total...
Ya, I did not expect them to come out so flat. Horrendous game by them.

·
1st Tier Poster
49,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Aussies lose bronze by a single point to Spain...very tense and exciting match where both Mills and Pau Gasol shined. Possibly Australia got robbed a bit, not sure if there really was a foul on Rodriguez on Spain's last attack.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts