Xtratime Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All views welcome on a something that needs to be sorted by Houllier. John Arne Riise has been a great buy, but where should we play him next season? I personally think he's better in midfield as he overlaps well and scores some vital goals. Also he's not the greatest defender in the world:) . If we do play him there with, hopefully Emerton on the right side, we would have a very solid, but not too creative midfield with Gerrard and Hamann as the two central midfielders. We would also need a left back of course as Carragher is not really up to the job when faced with really tricky wingers. We only need to think about the games against Arsenal and Leverkusen for proof. The obvious answer would be Wayne Bridge and that would make us very strong down the left hand side as he also can push forward, overlap and cross well just like Riise, but if we did opt for this choice we would have to rule out Damien Duff as we could not fit three left sided players into the team.
I really don't know whether we would be better off with Riise ahead of Bridge and the defensive solidity that that would bring or else Riise at left back with Duff on the left side of midfield and the attacking options that that combination would offer. I suppose Houllier's natural inclination would be for the more defensive formation and it does have the potential to develop into something quite special, but of course as we don't have either Bridge or Duff, it's all speculation. Still I would love to see Riise given the opportunity to do for us what Ljungberg(should have been player of the year!) does for Arsenal. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I think Riise is better as a midfielder...and I would welcome Bridge anytime...But then Carragher has been brilliant all season...So that is not the problem position ...The problem position IMO is the right midfield..we should really have a natural Right winger who can take on players and whip in some wonderful crosses...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Play Vignal at left-back and Riise in midfield. It worked well earlier in the season, so why not...?

I rate Wayne Bridge, but Bridge and Riise down the left just sounds a bit too solid, if you know what I mean? Vignal offers a bit of trickery and pace; similar to Ashley Cole at Arsenal.

I agree that we need another midfielder though. A Pires type of player for the right-side would be sweet! :) Is Emerton this player?

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
I prefer Vignal and Riise too. Vignal showed us what he can do and I think they combined well on the left side. I also think Liverpool need a right winger, Emerton would be a good buy but I think Smicer can do the job too.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I hate Smicer, he gives one good performance and then three anonomous ones!! IMO he's not the man for Right midfield, I haven't seen much of Emerton, but I've heard he's very good. Also could Nick Barmby do the job on the right when he recovers from injury and gets back to full fitness??

I think we should buy Overmars and play him on the left wing and Riise at left back. I honestly don't see why so many people are questioning Riise's defensive capabilities, is it because he's inclined to get forward regularly?? Although Vignal is a good left back, I don't think he's ready yet, if we looking at winning the league next year. I want us to keep Carragher as a utility player even if he's not in the first eleven.

·
Star Player
2,961 Posts
I would prefer a Vignal-Riise combo too:) But the thought of Overmars tearing down the left-flank is indeed tempting and playing him as the left-mid with Riise in defense ain't all that bad cuz I think Riise is 'ok' when it comes to defending;)
Let Houllier be the judge:eek: :D

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I would certainly agree that Riise is better in midfield than defence, but the thought of Riise at left back and Overmars/Duff/Kewell on the left wing is very appealing. ;)

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
hmmm.. well I just got a though.. why not adapt a more of 5-3-2 formation.. something similar to the Roma formation... something like this..

-----------------------------Dudek-------------------------------

------Babbel (or Carra) -- henchoz -- Hyypia--------------

Emerton ---------------------------------------------------Riise

-------------Gerrard------Hamann-----Kewell (or Overmars/Duff)

------------------Owen--------------Heskey (Anelka/Baros)--

What do you think??

I agree that if we're gonna stick with the 4-4-2 formation.. Vignal and Riise are the best option.. as Riise has proven he's up to the job offensively while defensivley.. well.. lets just say he could do better :) As for Carragher.. I'm someone who feels he's underacheived this year.. although I'm sure he'll improve on that..

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
IMO we need a left back, a right back, a left midfielder and a right midfielder...

Although Rise has been a good buy and scored some great goals I think that we could sell him and make more money than he is worth... I'm sure that a lot of Spanish clubs are interested.... know that it wont be popular and would be a brave decision but it's what I think should be done.

Wayne Bridge could then be brought in on the left hand side of defence for balance and stability and a tricky winger can be employed on the left.

The right back spot may not be needed depending on the fitness of Babbel and the form that Carragher may show (Xavier being dropped down the pecking order).

The right midfielder is more tricky for me and does depend on who the left midfielder is.... If it is a flair player then the right winger/midfielder should be a little, but no too conservative...

·
Registered
25 Posts
If we're gonna follow that logic and sell our best players just for financial gain, then how are we ever gonna improve as a team PTIL?

By your thinking we should sell Dudek, Hyypia, Riise, Gerrard and Owen. Basically the heart of the team. Where do we go from there???

Fair enough, trimming the squad is required but not open heart surgery! :D

I agree with your point about the wide players. We can't have out-and-out wingers on both sides; that would be too cavalier. Tell me a current team in any league that has two wingers and is successfull?

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
IMO we need a left back, a right back
LB

Vignal
Carragher
Riise

RB

Babbel
Heggem (may go)
Xavier (could go)
Carragher

Why do we need to pay over the odds for yet another left back or right back? We need a copule of Midfielders a striker and a CB as cover.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
There is already plenty of cover for CB

Babbel
Carragher
Wright
Xavier

All can play there

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Liverpool defenders can play at any position. There is a lot of backup for CB:
Hyypia
Henchoz
Babbel
Carragher
Biscan
Wright
Traore

Traore is coming back next season and I think he learnt a lot at Lens, just missed out the title :D. So the left back position will have enough players to choose:
Traore
Vignal
Carragher
Riise

Babbel will be fit and ready for next season and I think Xavier can warm the bench or we can sell him and have Wright as the backup:
Babbel
Carragher (I still think this is his best position)
Wright
Biscan

We whould keep Riise and play him as a left midfielder coz I think he has done a good job this season at that position.

IMO, we need a right midfielder, a creative midfielder (If GH continue to use Litmanen as a sub) and a striker.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
left backs:

Carragher (right footed)
Vignal (untested in any league)
Riise (prefers to play in midfield)
Traroe (don't even go there;))

right backs:

Babbel (might not ever recover fully :()
Heggem (seems to have wandered in to the twighlight zone)
Xavier (big pile of ****e IMO)
Carragher (allright but better in the centre as is too defensive)

On a whole the right back may be allright as Babbel could start and Jamie would be back up BUT why is everyone assuming that Marcus will be back playing as he was... honestly I hope that he does get back to that level but people don't seem to realise just how ill he was...

and after him the other would be good as back up but as full time starters I would be a little upset...

In the centre we are sorted with Jamie and Biscan as back up and Hyypia and Henchoz are rarely out anyway.

And my point is that Hamaan and Riise are not the heart of the team and we could sell these for financial gain... it's not all that bad you know... I mean Arsenal have done it and look where they are now!

Anelka for Henry and Pires for Overmars... I would do that deal now any day of the week:)

We should keep Owen, Hyypia, Dudek, Gerrard and Henchoz... the rest are replacable IMO.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
pool_till_I_die said:

Vignal (untested in any league)
He was playing in the league before he injured himself. His partnership with Riise down the left side has been impressive, both in defense and attacking. I think he should be our first choice of left back as Traore prefer to play @ central back position. He will be the coming super star.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
He was playing but only for a month... for me that is still untested...

We can not just expect bhim to play that all the time... we need to see him play more

1 - 16 of 16 Posts