Xtratime Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the imminent departure of Candela and Delvecchio, the medium age at Roma will drop even further, to a truly remarkable level. With that, of course, the lack of routine in the squad comes into play in a major way. I don't disagree with getting rid of Candela and Delvecchio as they are more than anything burdens to the club due to their astronomical wages than assets for us to use.

But - when ridding ourselves of these two players the ones with and experience and routine are very few indeed. Totti has to be seen as experiences, as of course Montella. But what else is there? Tommasi is out of the team and all action and can't teach the young ones much from the sidelines. Dacourt is of course old and should be able to inspire some of our midfielders with various hints, but I do not see him as a huge source of which players like Aquilani can draw much experience from. That's despite me being very fond indeed of him, and see Olivier as a real keymember of our team.
In the back, our most experienced is probably Chivu, but then again he's also young even if he could fool anyone with his mature style of play. But he is in the end as young as the players he's playing with, so I don't know how much the others "use" him as inspiration (even if they should follow his example both as a man and a player :star: ). Panucci the players should try to learn as little as possible from, so he doesn't count.

Montella spoke earlier this season about the overrepresentation of young players in this squad - with him and Totti the only ones who has experiece to speak of, will this ridiculously young team be able to carry itself through the season to a decent finish, or will it crumble due to the inexperience of the players?

As sad as it is from a nostalgic point of view, Delvecchio and Candela has to leave. But should the club try to grab hold of some veterans to balance up the age within the team more? As Milan has showed, having nonni in the team can indeed be invaluable. A player like Davids could add so much to this team, possibly more in the shaping of our promises than actual contribution to the team on the pitch every sunday. Having a old reserve 'keeper could prove invaluable for Pelizzoli - what's he going to learn from Zotti anyway, what good could he get out of it? A player like our ex Chimenti would be great for the development for Ivan. And etcetera etcetera. Do I make any sense, or is everyone convinced of this young Roma?

·
Registered
54,576 Posts
I am only convinced that eventually these players will be at least very good. People forget that these are only young and will make mistakes. yet I agree, it would be nie to get a couple of 30 year olds with experience and composure into the squad.

Names such as Corini (we wont get him though), Albertini or others.

·
Registered
6,556 Posts
I don't think buying 30 something year olds and putting them on the bench would make much, if any difference to their mentality or growth. Like you said, how much influence can they impart upon them from the sidelines? Having someone like Davids on the pitch would be useful, though i'm believing in it less and less with every passing day.

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
Therefore we have to extend Dellas' contract, which is expiring in summer.
Just a bunch of Kindergarten kids won't lead us anywhere near glory i'm afraid.

I'm all for youth but only to a certain level.
We're missing Dacourt and Chivu A LOT, players proven on national and international level.
Something neither Aquilani, D'Agostino, De Rossi have at the moment.

But our first move(regardless of age) still should be for a left midfielder.
Santana or Taddei NOW!

·
Registered
28,190 Posts
Cacìni said:
With the imminent departure of Candela and Delvecchio, the medium age at Roma will drop even further, to a truly remarkable level. With that, of course, the lack of routine in the squad comes into play in a major way. I don't disagree with getting rid of Candela and Delvecchio as they are more than anything burdens to the club due to their astronomical wages than assets for us to use.

But - when ridding ourselves of these two players the ones with and experience and routine are very few indeed. Totti has to be seen as experiences, as of course Montella. But what else is there? Tommasi is out of the team and all action and can't teach the young ones much from the sidelines. Dacourt is of course old and should be able to inspire some of our midfielders with various hints, but I do not see him as a huge source of which players like Aquilani can draw much experience from. That's despite me being very fond indeed of him, and see Olivier as a real keymember of our team.
In the back, our most experienced is probably Chivu, but then again he's also young even if he could fool anyone with his mature style of play. But he is in the end as young as the players he's playing with, so I don't know how much the others "use" him as inspiration (even if they should follow his example both as a man and a player :star: ). Panucci the players should try to learn as little as possible from, so he doesn't count.

Montella spoke earlier this season about the overrepresentation of young players in this squad - with him and Totti the only ones who has experiece to speak of, will this ridiculously young team be able to carry itself through the season to a decent finish, or will it crumble due to the inexperience of the players?

As sad as it is from a nostalgic point of view, Delvecchio and Candela has to leave. But should the club try to grab hold of some veterans to balance up the age within the team more? As Milan has showed, having nonni in the team can indeed be invaluable. A player like Davids could add so much to this team, possibly more in the shaping of our promises than actual contribution to the team on the pitch every sunday. Having a old reserve 'keeper could prove invaluable for Pelizzoli - what's he going to learn from Zotti anyway, what good could he get out of it? A player like our ex Chimenti would be great for the development for Ivan. And etcetera etcetera. Do I make any sense, or is everyone convinced of this young Roma?
Great post Cacini :shades:

P.S. In all fairness, nonni over here are feeded with Bread&Devil Powder :devil: every morning ;)

·
Registered
13,139 Posts
Nice thread :happy:
I believe experience is a vital component of success. I don't want to sound too critical, but I'm not entirely convinced that all these youngsters we have are going to develop into super-super stars one day to carry Roma to eternal glory.
I'm of the mind that Tommasi's injury hurt us much, much more than Dacourt. Tommasi is a leader on the bench and on the pitch. His behavior is above reproach and prefer him to Dacourt, whom I consider highly overrated. Still, Dacourt's experience has been missed if you look at Aquilani's and even DeRossi's inconsistency. Tommasi should return in about two months, but he's not enough. I'd like to see a few fatherly figures - role models - arrive at Roma, of course it all comes down to money. Davids is a great suggestion, even Morientes would help.
We shouldn't necessarily fear players above 28 and below 33. Some have a lot to offer, like Baggio, Signori, Ferrara and others proved. Don't know how well bringing in an elderly player will go over with Totti, but perhaps it's time he, too, learned a few things in regards to leadership. :stuckup:

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Excellent thread. I am not so sure that Candela is a burden to us as the one game I saw him play this season he was very good and I would definately would like to see him in Cufre's position. Delvecchio is no longer any use to us and should go, if Candela would be willing to stay for significantly less money then I would like to see him stay for the previous reasons given.

Tomassi is what we need in midfield to help out there whereas Dacourt will be inconsistent as well. Taddei would be good as he can get it done and provides back-ups. I always love the Nonni in the team and perhaps one more grizzlesd vetran in the middle and a decent old goal keeper would be good as well. Corini would be nice but as you already said Deano he isn't for sale.

We have the defence pretty much covered but Dellas is a player we should re-sign as he provides experience, commands the defence and is a wall, but most importantly can sit on the bench and not be a whiny premadonna. That is necessary as Chivu will be back sometime or another and we will have to find a position for him. Ferrari might have to switch sides if Mexes does not prove to be good enough, or Ferrari or Chivu might just take over the centre and leaeve Dellas on the bench. Chivu could also play Cufre's position as well.

·
Registered
7,499 Posts
I believed in Candela, but he really is nowhere near the level we are used to see him at. Its better for both parties for him to leave. And its true that we are little over confident in our youth. I was the first to say that we can be champions this season, regardless of the fact that we lost our best players. And i said that because of De Rossi and likes. I forgot that they are talents, however, they still have a lot to learn.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Candela hasn't played this season consistently, but in the Real game he was very good. I suggest putting him in Cufre's position for a couple of games and if he is of no use then get rid of him if he is useful then sign him again to a smaller salary.

·
Registered
12,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Zangari_Italia said:
I am not so sure that Candela is a burden to us
For sure, despite him not finding his real form for a long long time, he is not a burden on the team. In fact I'd be hardpressed to think of a player at all that by his abilities alone could be considered a burden, at leats not players on this level. But, his contract is one of the biggest in the club, and to be frank he's not doing much at all to deserve such a contract, that's why I say he's a burden, because he costs a lot for little joy on the pitch.

·
Premium Member
11,360 Posts
We need experience, that's for sure. Especially in midfield. De Rossi is too inconsistent and inexperienced, Aquilani even more so and playing them both at the same time is not a good idea at all. De Rossi always plays much better with an experienced partner. Mancini also is pretty inconsistent, we could use an experienced winger too.
Anothwer thing is we probably have the youngest goalkeepers in Seria A, which shows from time to time. Getting an experienced one as a backup is not a bad idea.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Demandred would you consider Perrota experienced? Cacini I have no problems with Candela if he signs a new contract where he doesn't get paid as much.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts