Xtratime Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
71,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Egyptian club Al Ahly announced him as their new coach today

Sleeve Beard Entertainment Font T-shirt

The 4th Portugese coach hired by Al Ahly after Manuel Jose, Tony Oliveira and Jose Peseiro

How good is he? I read he did well with Gil Vicente, finishing 5th and taking them to Conference League (first time they ever make Europe)

How is he rated/viewed in Portugal? 🇵🇹

·
Registered
71,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rui Vitoria is the Egypt NT coach now btw, we love Portuguese coaches here... (Jesualdo Ferreira is Zamalek coach and Zamalek fans love him)

Soares lost the Egyptian Cup final to arch rivals Zamalek recently so he didn't get off to a good start.

Reactions: Inácio

·
Registered
71,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Currently and for the past few years I no longer support any Egyptian club. Used to be an Al-Ahly fan and even went to watch them in the stadium a lot when I was younger but for some reason that passion disappeared so I am more of a neutral now when it comes to Egyptian football. Still follow but no emotion.

Yes Ferreira was there longer than Soares since a few months ago and he already worked at Zamalek before too and won a domestic double in 2014-2015.

·
Registered
71,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, Inter per sempre 🖤💙

As for Soares and Ferreira, they have not clashed at all from what I read/heard.

I saw a pic of Ferreira with Tony Oliveira at Benfica yeah.

So Ferreira didn't do much at Benfica and succeeded at Porto, similar to Mourinho then?

·
Registered
71,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
From a few weeks ago

Forehead Microphone Sleeve Gesture Jersey

Manuel Jose was the first Portuguese coach to come to Egypt (2001), his success with Al Ahly really opened doors for other Portuguese coaches to come here.

·
Registered
71,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes Manuel Jose was a king in Egypt in all senses. Ahly were financially very strong (still are) and signed a great group of players for him (pretty much the core of the Egypt team that won 3 ACN in a row), fans loved him, I have a picture with him but I think it's on the pc in my folks house, will post it here if I find it next time I visit them.

·
Registered
71,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Jesualdo Ferreira's Zamalek won 3-0 against Pyramids earlier tonight, they are 90% Champions now as they opened gaps with Pyramids and Al Ahly (the latter drew their last game). 6 rounds to go.

I wonder if Ricardo Soares will survive losing both the Cup and league to arch rivals...

·
Registered
71,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Another 0-0 draw for Ricardo Soares in the Egyptian league

This time against a team led by another Portuguese coach: Nuno Almeida

Product Gesture Publication Font Advertising

Curiously Almeida was Jesualdo Ferreira's assistant at Zamalek, Braga and Sporting (and goalkeeping coach at Panathinaikos, also under Ferreira)

I guess there will be a thank you call from Ferreira to Almeida (if not already..)

·
Registered
71,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Rui Vitoria met his compatriots as he made a number of visits to Egyptian clubs to discuss future plans with club coaches

Table Shirt Laptop Tableware Personal computer

Watch Polo shirt Muscle Window Sleeve

·
Registered
71,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Zamalek named one of the club’s gardens in honor of Jesualdo Ferreira

Ferreira's wife reacted this way:

Sky Building Product Plant Font

·
Registered
71,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes 4 Portuguese coaches in total now in Egypt, will use this thread to update their progress whenever I can (when European football is back, domestic football becomes secondary for me but will still follow when I can)

For Zamalek fans Ferreira is a god literally. He is on his way to a 4th domestic trophy with Zamalek.

They nicknamed him my/our Grandpa, not in a mocking way but an affectionate/warm one.

We also used to have Nelo Vingada working for the Egyptian football federation (he brought Carlos Queiroz to be NT coach)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts