Xtratime Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By now I imagine all of you have heard that he is considering retiring from the national team. I know it has been something he has thought about for a while. But after seeing him with that flag in his arms after probally the best game he has had with the national team , I dont want him to go. That is an image that will for ever be associated with WC 2002 in my mind , along with many others. The question is should he hang them up and if so is he the best american player ever ??

My answer is No he should not and yes, he more then likely is the greatest american player , that will not last that long , but up until now he has been. In the first round of the cup he was basically invisible , if it was due to the injury or not. But when we needed him most he came to play. It seems like that every time. He may not be the most consistant player , and he probally isnt , but whenever we needed him he was there. Some say he is lazy some say he is not hard enough in the middle. He may not , but when he is in form I think we do play less predictable. Whatever happens I thank him

·
Registered
674 Posts
Time for Reyna to retire from the National side? Austin, I think so. If not now, When? He redeemed himself for a miserable tournament in '98 and the satisfaction that he must deservedly feel from the way we played should be the thing he takes with him as he retires from the Nats. Sometimes, it's just best to go out on top.

Reyna had so much hype about him, he could never live up to it. At the end Bruce did him a HUGE favor by finding Pablo the central role and limiting Reyna's responsibilities to something he could manage. Reyna responded to his lessened roles and did them well and the team was greatly benefited.

Practically speaking, does Reyna have another four years left at the national level? Unlikely. He will be declining just when we need new blood most. Can his body continue to be injured for four years more?

An optional scenario might see him continue for a limited time, especially if we get to go to Copa in a couple of years. He could contribute to the unity of the team as it continues to improve, and then say good-bye well before the next round of qualifiers begins. With our new found international reputation, there might be an opportunity to play some meaningful international friendlies.

I am glad for him that he played so well in our last games. His dedication was never in doubt. We should all wish him Godspeed.

IMHO
Oldplayer

·
Registered
64 Posts
of corse he wants that, but if he wants to play for his country in the next WC thats probably the route he'll have to take if he cant get over the traveling.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Congrats ... Claudio

... He was among the final 16 men choosen as "All Stars" for the tournament in S. Korea & Japan.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts