Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rexach ready to be axed

Sunday 27th January 2002

Barcelona coach Charly Rexach has admitted that his future lies in the hands of the directors after Sunday's embarrassing 1-0 home defeat against Osasuna. "They have told me to continue at the moment but I will accept any decision the club makes," he said.

The Catalans were beaten by an 81st minute strike by Alfredo after having Philip Cocu sent off two minutes earlier for a second bookable offence.

The final whistle was greeted with jeers and whistles from the crowd and calls for Rexach and the board of directors to resign as Barca slipped out of the European qualification positions following a second consecutive defeat.

"If I was to believe that I am the cause of the bad results then I would have no hesitiation in standing down," the beleaguered Rexach explained. "I am first and foremost a Barcelona supporter and I respect any decision the directors make, but they have told me to continue at the moment.

"I have no intention of leaving because I do not believe that we are out of the running for the championship. I know some people have made calls for me to leave the post of coach, but I don't worry about what others say.

"I have to admit that we have received a double blow. Against Rayo last week we could have closed the gap on the leaders to three points and today we have slipped even further back.

"It is normal that the public compain after a defeat like this and perhaps even more so because at the end we completely lost control of the match.

"I now hope that we have reached rock bottom and will begin moving upwards again. This season we have had many hitches and that is never a good thing. The ball was like a hot potato among my players today which is strange because normally everybody wants it when we play at home.

"There was a lot of tension in the stadium and I am afraid it affected the players and eventually they collapsed. Now we have to rekindle the confidence of the players after a very hard week leading up to the match," said Rexach, in reference to the reports of a party in the team hotel in Madrid last weekend.

Osasuna boss Miguel Angel Lotina emphasised the importance of the team's victory against one of Spain's most powerful clubs. "This could be the victory that finally proves we can handle any team," he explained.

"This is the first time we have beaten one of the big teams on their own ground and I am delighted that we did not do it through luck. We have picked up 15 points away from home this season, but this has to be the best of all.

"When the Barcelona supporters whistled at the end I didn't feel happy that they were doing this. As a professional it did not make me happy or satisfied that we had caused the fans to boo their own players or the sarcastic way they cheered my players in the final minutes of the match."

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
*smacks forehead*

Barcelona could get my high school coach and he'd do a better job than Charly 'Farkwit' Rexach has been able to do.

A team doesn't need a manager that bags his own players in front of the press, it doesn't need someone who doesn't have faith in anyone that's not an over-the-hill Spaniard and it certainly doesn't need somebody who changes a winning tactic 30 minutes into a match.

And so Barcelona doesn't need that vegetable, that turdbrain. I'm dissapointed he doesn't resign with some degree of honour.

Y

·
0 Posts
Gaspart persuaded Rexach to stay

BARCELONA, January 27 (DS) - Barcelona chief coach Carles Rexach had a long talk with the club's president Joan Gaspart just after his team's 0-1 defeat from Osasuna. During this talk Rexach announced that he was ready to resign. But later on at the postmatch conference he said that Gaspart persuaded him to stay.
"I talked quite sincerely to him saying that if he considered me to be guilty of the team's defeat I'll take any decision of the club without any problems. But he replied: "forget about it, I want you to go on working with the team". I belong to this club to the very marrow of my bones that's why I am ready to accept any decision they make. But he told me even not to think about it".
Rexach thinks it quite natural that Barcelona supporters made a protest against the team.
"I hope that this will be our last failure because we can't go on like this. This season we failed many matches and we can't afford such a thing any more".
And so on, and so forth. Rexach didn't fail to mention, as he always does, that the football god has turned it's back to his team. Talking about their rivals the coach said that the Osasuna players seemed to be favoured by some angels who showed them the right way. Rexach, undoubtedly, would find many other justifications on such occasions. May be next time he'll blame the constructive peculiarities of the goals or the geometrical defect of the ball itself.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
It was all fireworks. Rexach won't resign , Gaspart won't dismiss him. The only hope this year is the CH League, but the self destruction button has been pressed. And when we do that at Barça, nothing can be saved. I doubt very much that the players, fans, directors will regroup.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
GaspartJoan said:
It was all fireworks. Rexach won't resign , Gaspart won't dismiss him. The only hope this year is the CH League, but the self destruction button has been pressed. And when we do that at Barça, nothing can be saved. I doubt very much that the players, fans, directors will regroup.
GJ, reading your pessimistic post, an idea came to me. If you think that players can't regroup, what place we will take by the end of the season. The 10th? 15th?

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I don't know in what position Barça will finish, but the prognosis doesn't look good at all. Besides, historically Barça is prone to these bouts of depression, and now we seem to be in a serious one. Let's hope that Luis Enrique comes back strongly and injects a bit of pride to this bunch of losers. Other than that, you don't expect miracles from this sort of players, do you?. On top of that Rexach is dissapointing me more and more with his bizarre decissions like leaving Bonano in the bench, one of the few players who was usually performing well, some say because Reina's father used to play with Rexach in the seventies.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Yes,GJ. I don't expect miracles from most part of the players but not all. I think that some "old wolves" like Sergi, LE21 maybe Puyol still can take power in their hands and show many lazy "players" how to take points even playing badly.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Puyol we know will always give 100% but hi is not a leader, at least he is not a leader yet. I don't see him being very vocal to the rest of his team mates. Sergi has never been a leader, and the only reason why he is othe captain is because of his age and because he is Catalan. The only player in our current squad who I see capable of dragging others, and being vocal is Luis Enrique.It is curious but whenever Luis Enrique is out of the pitch Barça seem to get worse results, and I wouldn't atribute it only to his perfomance but to his leadership, and intimidation to opponets and referees. He reminds me very much of Hierro in that respect.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi, this is my first post in 50 million years. I was here when Xtratime first started out. Anyways, I agree with GJ to an extent. I think that Sergi could be a very good leader, we don't know how he is in the dressing room, but I don't think his leadership is the reason for this terrible form. If Pep would have remained in the club, we would still be having problems. It is tough to recycle coaches, once you fail at a club you can't possibly succeed. Granted, this is Rexach's first real opportunity but the club is too big for him. Rexach needs to remain until the end of the year or else there will be chaos. Playing musical coaches is ridiculous. Gaspart should have done everything in his power to get Héctor Cúper but he was worried about the Catalanization of the club and he picked Rexach. We'll see how things go from here.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
well if reixach still is the barcelona coach is becaues we have not more choice, or gaspart doesn't know who put if he fire reixach

·
Registered
28 Posts
What else can we add on over such a chaotic and fustrating patch we are going through , i only can agree with GaspartJoan on this current issue, what the hell is through the minds of the players and better not bloody mention the directors we are falling apart, reaching new depths , the fact is last year with Serra "Horribilis" Ferrer , we were on a much better situation at the league with 7 points ahead than we currently hold now, and to make it amusing we would be sharing top of the league with the Mandriles, it seems the players don't give to monkeys on the stick the are getting from the crowd, though Joan Gaspart and company got a bit of a fright yesterday, just the match was over , the barcelona supporters mob up at the main gates of Nou camp and out of fustration they had a go to Joan Gaspart Cronies,needless to say , the latter ones , being just gutless ,shameless wankerss ,hadn't got the bottle to face the crowd and hide with heads down and getting away from the hostility of the real barcelona bunch gathered out there, finally some Antena 3 journalists got a good kicking from the crowd , not always you can get away with such lot of rubbish being released from Madrid without having a few slaps from time to time .

Catalans we may look soft toch , not idiots tough.

Ara mes que mai Visca el Barça! Collons Sang i Fetge.

·
RIP Alton Ellis
5,658 Posts
Not much to add either but just to add that I agree with GJ on the disgraceful decision to replace Bonano after just one mistake which wasn't really his fault but FDB's. He is a very accomplished keeper who has saved Barça several times this year. He gave the defence a sense of security and as most of you know big teams' strength starts at the back: Schmeikel (excuse spelling), Kahn (Bayern) and so on.
With due respect to Osasuna, what was Charlie thinking of maintaining a 4 man defence against a team like that?

·
RIP Alton Ellis
5,658 Posts
Just as I posted I've heard on TV3 there's a meeting going on now in which some Barça directors are trying to make JG change his mind and fire Charlie. It's been going on for 2 hours.

·
Registered
393 Posts
All right, you all r gonna say that I'm crazy, but a radical tought has just came to my mind, im gonna cry it out loud:

BRING BACK VAN GAAAAAAAAAAAL!!!!!!!!!!

And before everybody starts laughing at me just answer yourselves these questions: who gave us our last championship?, who made us felt like a winning team for the last time??.

OK, you may start firing now.

·
Premium Member
27,068 Posts
Re: Gaspart persuaded Rexach to stay

y_KR said:
BARCELONA, January 27 (DS) - Barcelona chief coach Carles Rexach had a long talk with the club's president Joan Gaspart just after his team's 0-1 defeat from Osasuna. During this talk Rexach announced that he was ready to resign. But later on at the postmatch conference he said that Gaspart persuaded him to stay.
"I talked quite sincerely to him saying that if he considered me to be guilty of the team's defeat I'll take any decision of the club without any problems. But he replied: "forget about it, I want you to go on working with the team". I belong to this club to the very marrow of my bones that's why I am ready to accept any decision they make. But he told me even not to think about it".
Rexach thinks it quite natural that Barcelona supporters made a protest against the team.
"I hope that this will be our last failure because we can't go on like this. This season we failed many matches and we can't afford such a thing any more".
And so on, and so forth. Rexach didn't fail to mention, as he always does, that the football god has turned it's back to his team. Talking about their rivals the coach said that the Osasuna players seemed to be favoured by some angels who showed them the right way. Rexach, undoubtedly, would find many other justifications on such occasions. May be next time he'll blame the constructive peculiarities of the goals or the geometrical defect of the ball itself.

unbeleivable!
VIVA EL PRESIDENTE GASPART

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
how i though nothing new reixach still is barça coach, barça plays today the catalonia cup. a match that now is important for watch how is barça for play the league if barça lose against lleida i don't know what can happen but if lose against tenerife this saturday, gaspart will have to fire rixach if he doesn't want that we fire him

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
You might get the best manager of the Liga--- Irureta The Great because he seems to be leaving Depor after this season.:depress:
Besides, an old-fashioned guy like he wouldn't be leaving Spain, no way. So, he'll stay and the only good club here with a lousy manager is Barca.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts