Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just need some advice on this. I lived in Turkey last year and had a very good time. My working permit then expired so I relocated back to the EU. However, I had a great time in Turkey and would be keen on going back to the Middle East. I started saving money a while ago and hope to have the necessary funds for a new relocation before the summer.

Now the permits are a different thing. I would like to have a working permit that actually counts for at least 1 year or preferably a bit longer. Does any of you know if I can apply for a working permit while abroad, so that I would actually be able to choose a Turkish employer of my choice? Because from my last Turkish adventure, I experienced many employers want foreigners who speak different languages, but most of those companies become hesitant when they need to request the working permit themselves. If I could apply for a permit allowing me to work for any company, jobhunting would be a lot easier.

Also, if anyone knows a good employment office that is actually helpful, I'd be keen on knowing. I know there used to be an employment office for foreigners in Besiktas, very close to the ferry arrival when coming from the Asian side. I never saw the office opened though, so I am not sure if it still exists. I know Manpower and Adecco also exist in most Turkish cities, but last time I experienced they weren't very helpful (telling several companies were interested but that they had no time to call me for an interview... well, if you don't call a candidate for weeks, then I would not call that serious interest :wallbang:)

PS: I am looking for opportunities in several Middle Eastern countries, but going back to Turkey would maybe be my most realistic bet as I experience a lot more strict visa laws in other countries in the area. Other options I am researching include Israel and Egypt but I have the feeling Turkey has smoother visa regulations. I try to research all available options as betting on one option decreases chances of succesful application.

·
Registered
23,556 Posts
As long as you NEVER call Turkey middle-eastern again I will help you ;).

http://pubweb.fdbl.com/ihp8/global/media85.nsf/public-country-briefs/turkey?opendocument

That is a pretty useful site that will start you off on the right foot. What you're going to have to do is call the consulate in Turkey that represents your country. I'm assuming you are Norwegian but I could be wrong.

At any rate, call the Norwegian Consulate .

http://www.norway.org.tr/info/embassy.htm

The Chancery
Address:
Kırkpınar Sokak no. 18
06540 Cankaya, Ankara

Mailing address:
P.K. 82 Kavaklıdere
06692 Ankara
Telephone: +90 (312) 405 8010
Fax: +90 (312) 443 0544
E-mail: [email protected]
Office Hours:
Monday - Thursday: 08.30 - 16.30
Friday: 08.30 - 14.00
For emergency cases only:
On-duty-mobil: + 90 532 366 0051

Visa Reception

Fax: +90 (312) 443 05 43
Telephone hours to the visa reception are
Monday-Thursday: 13.30-15.30

Phonenumber:
+90 312 405 8940

e-mail to visa reception:
[email protected]
So you'll probably have to phone the Visa Reception.

Call those guys, they will be able to make your ends meet ;). Good Luck

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am Belgian citizen, Norway is another country I am very obsessed by. Just like Turkey and a few other countries in the area. I am into several countries a lot, apart from the country I was born in actually. :dielaugh:
Turkey is the best of the countries I have lived in so far though, hence why I consider going back, it is one of the options I am looking into.

Do I have to deal with the Belgian embassy in Turkey for a visa request, or do I have to deal with the Turkish embassy in either Belgium (native country) or Germany (country of residence)?

Anyway, I will look into that site you gave me. Thanks! If anyone has more advice, for example potential employers hiring foreigners or job agencies willing to help, then I'd be happy to hear.

·
Registered
16,995 Posts
If you don't mind me asking, why are you interested in Turkey? I read a bit of your blog, are you a groundhopper or some sort?

·
Master Debater
20,951 Posts
Why are people so touchy about what is basically a geographical term? Yes Turkey geographically is a Mid East country. Just because the majority of its inhabitants aren't middle eastern but are ancestors Asians doesn't change the fact.

It is also an Asian country, some people call it Asia Minor. Middle East, Eurasia, Asia Minor blah blah blah. They all refer to the same place we call Turkey. Turkey's location makes it hard for it to exactly fit into a specific region, it straddles different regions. Hell if one tried hard enough one could make a compelling case that Turkey is infact a country in the Caucasus.

The fact many of my fellow Turks are so touchy about such a superficial thing is quite interesting.

·
*the drum drum*
42,999 Posts
IMO it's that Turks generally don't like being put into the same pot with and being called Arabic. Which is funny in itself seeing as we border Arab nations, and Adana is full of Arab-Turks.

You know how it is, as a people we're European obsessed. That's sad in itself, Europe in general is just so cultureless and plain compared to everything else around us.

·
Registered
10,205 Posts
Well, in about fifteen years, we will no different from Arabic countries, so we may at well get used to the terminology

·
Registered
10,205 Posts
Şeytan;6154035 said:
IMO it's that Turks generally don't like being put into the same pot with and being called Arabic. Which is funny in itself seeing as we border Arab nations, and Adana is full of Arab-Turks.

You know how it is, as a people we're European obsessed. That's sad in itself, Europe in general is just so cultureless and plain compared to everything else around us.
You really need to go to Paris kuzen ;)

·
*the drum drum*
42,999 Posts
I said in general ;) There's quite a few great places in Spain, Italy, and Greece for example, all European.

You can basically head to any region in Turkey and there is a cultural & historical attachment that's stayed with the place. Something as simple as cuisine, and how you can order the same dish in 10 different cities and eat something almost completely different. You don't get that much across Europe (again, in general), with people being so proudly attached to their local roots.

I mean there's places in Europe where people have openly told me how unimportant family is to them (as a people). My Dutch cousin (Dutch bloke married to my cousin) told me about how he never wants to go back home to Holland after coming to Turkey because he feels so loved in Turkey as opposed to being treated so anonymously in Holland!

There's no reason for Turkey to be Europe and European Union obsessed. We don't need them, let them consider whether they need us or not and then come knocking on our door instead.

·
Registered
23,556 Posts
Şeytan;6154035 said:

On the part of Cultureless in Europe compared to everything around us I want to disagree with, but this is judged by my personal experience. I've been to many European countries such as Switzerland, England, Germany, Belgium, Austria, Netherlands, and even tiny Luxembourg :D

With the landscape, old buildings, the way the cities are built, the kinds of restaurants, the sights and sounds are all very cultured in my eyes.

I've been to Syria [why? thanks to my Dad and his traveling in the oil business], I've been to Bulgaria, two countries that border us. Turkey has far more culture than these two. They themselves don't really have much [from what i've seen] as compared to the European countries I've been too. Maybe not so much Switzerland either.

Nevertheless, I think the only difference I found at my young age at the time were the people. The people were a little more 'worldly' in the sense that they knew what was going on out there, had a very warm reception to cultures of other nations, had a decent grasp of other cultures, but I never really saw anything 'cultured' in those two countries that really stood out. Europeans on the other hand were more or less obsessed with themselves and really seemed to give a blind eye to other cultures, specifically ones outside of W. Europe.

But I think in the end this comes down to personal experience. So I won't generalize.

·
Registered
23,556 Posts
Well, in about fifteen years, we will no different from Arabic countries, so we may at well get used to the terminology
That's where it's headed it looks like. :thmbdown::yuck:

·
*the drum drum*
42,999 Posts
My definition of culture within the context of this thread is more tied to people and mind frames, rather than structures and arts.

And [disclaimer to the angry European bound to arrive on the scene] it's not necassarily a wrong or right thing either, in a lot of ways it's just to do with us being much more similar to our non-European neighbours. We are very similar to Arabs in terms of a lot of things, whilst far off of typical 'European'.

And modern Turkey is just a confused mob that doesn't know what they want to drop from their own culture and what they want to pick up, where truth is you don't need to change any fundamentals to be 'European' and 'modern'. It's a European Union, not a strict set of laws on how to look, act and feel.

·
Honourable Mention, April Photo Contest 2008
19,147 Posts
all i know is that in adana we've got the best food :D ;)

·
*the drum drum*
42,999 Posts
Well if anyone else made a better Adana kebab than the people of Adana, it wouldn't be called an Adana kebab now would it? :pp

I went into a restaurant in Moda called Ayintap, and started talking to the head chef who was from Antep. He said they didn't make authentic Antep dishes because quite simply it doesn't sell outside of Antep. We went back a second time and he had Raki and some more authentic stuff prepared for us, and I loved it. I want to travel to Antep and probably Urfa, just for the food :D

P.S - Actually I heard somewhere that the flavour of Adana kebab is really enhanced by putting in a little crushed ginger into it. I somehow don't think that idea came out of Adana though.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you don't mind me asking, why are you interested in Turkey? I read a bit of your blog, are you a groundhopper or some sort?
My interest in Turkey and neighbouring countries is basically the culture. Plus, I have already lived in Turkey and really liked it a lot. Only the job was not that good, but the country and the people were great :thmbup:

Thanks for the link, Cenko43 :thmbup:

·
Registered
10,724 Posts
Funny. I read the first sentence and saw the "middle east" part and it completely distracted me from the rest of what you wrote Crackedpleasures.

...I see I'm not the only one who noticed that :howler:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts