Xtratime Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems that bringing Seba back to Formello is now a concrete possibility. His contract is running out and he's coming from a season where he was named the best player in South America. Ledesma could be gone in the summer and we would definitely need a playmaker.

Still, one must have doubts because these comebacks rarely work. Certainly he's not the player he was in 2000, and he's 33 years old. So what do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
he's still performing at a very high standard but he couldn't play a key role weekly in a top Euro league anymore. He could still do a great job in key games and coming off the bench but weather Veron would be interested in that and if Lazio could afford to pay him for a bit part role is another question

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
He's a non EU player, right? I have always preferred to take a very good player (of course within Lazio's reach) to fill that one non EU spot allowed to Serie A clubs. But hell, we are talking about one of the greatest Lazio players of all time. Indeed, he could not bear a hard championship such as Serie A all the way, but it's not that Argentinian league's level is low, and as Kaf has said, he is just after being the best player in the whole continent. And he would just be the leading player with strong personality we miss since Peruzzi said goodbye. Moreover, his arrival could mean the arrival of Simeone as coach...

Interestingly, today there was an interview to Veròn in Argentinian media
http://www.cielosports.com/index.php?ver_nota=10337
and the bit regarding Lazio goes this way "Me llama cada dos o tres semanas el presidente de la Lazio pero yo no me quiero meterme en ese tema por ahora" (Evry two or three weeks Lazio president gives me a call, but for now I don't want to talk about it). If that is true, that's a clear signal that the contacts are already under way and that "La Brujita" and "El Cholo" could come together. Matias Almeyda is still available? :)

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Well, actually I did not mean that in an enthusiastic way. I know Simeone has won an Apertura and a Clausura, but in my opinion his failure in the last term has cast some shadows on his ability as coach. I said that Veròn's arrival could prelude to Simeone's arrival as well. Maybe that "moreover" was deceiving.

·
Premium Member
14,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He did win titles both with Estudiantes and River...the ending was of course terrible, but that doesn't take away his accomplishments.

And yes Aq, Veron doesn't have a European passport (a real one, anyway). That would indeed take away our chance of signing another non-EU player in the summer. But who knows, maybe they will lift the amount to two players this year as well...

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
glad to hear that people here aren't pinning there hopes on Simeone and my lack of faith in his ability as a manager is as much about how poor River were in winning the championship as it is in regard to us finishing last. Not to completley write off the guy however he does have qualitys but not ready for a big European job yet imo

·
Administrator
52,972 Posts
But who knows, maybe they will lift the amount to two players this year as well...
What do you mean? Hasnt it been 2 Non-EU players per season for a while now?

·
Premium Member
14,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I remember them changing it ad hoc for last summer's market. Was it a permanent change?

But last summer was the first one. The summer before that it was definitely one player since that was the reason Carrizo couldn't arrive.

·
Administrator
52,972 Posts
Ah ok, but how can it not be a permanent change? Whats the point of doing it for 1 season and then taking it back?

·
Registered
17,531 Posts
How can Veron not have a European passport after spending so much time playing in Europe?

·
Administrator
52,972 Posts
He was one of those who had fake passports I think.

Though he wasnt punished for it. Remember that he was about to get in trouble for it just before moving to Man U.

·
First Place winner, June 2010 Photo Contest
38,110 Posts
He claimed to have ancestors who were Italian, but it turned out they didn't exist. Sounds a bit similar to what Carrizo claimed only last year. Must be an Argentine thing. ;)

·
Registered
17,531 Posts
Ah yes, i forgot about that whole fiasco. Italy doesn't have an objective citizenship criteria in terms of residence either, so that's an issue.

·
Registered
436 Posts
It doesn't seem like such a productive idea but I miss him so much. It would be fantastic to see him wear our colours again :excited:

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
There are again talks of "La Brujita" coming back to Lazio, at least for the six months going from the transfer window in January to the end of the season, since Veròn wants to go to South Africa 2010. Time will tell if that is just a rumour or there's something real behind it.

·
Premium Member
14,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This time there's no debate, we should take him right away if somehow possible...

·
Laziale, Independent
6,075 Posts
I agree, our midfield sucks big time (check my signature).

Others would have from who to learn.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts