Xtratime Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well bugger me, I wasn't expecting this news today...

Can some wizard put up the Mark Morrison song in here :D

Reactions: Los Che Forever

·
Registered
166 Posts
This is interesting. He needs some good early results to win over the skeptical and those who blame him for the slide from top to 8th.

For some it's like the second coming of Jesus. Personally I'm not sure. But I will give him the same chance and support I give to all derby managers.

·
Registered
612 Posts
He obviously didn't read Jimbo's "McClaren can sod off".

On the other hand, he'd better not sod off to Newcastle or anywhere else this time - unless he proves to be crap, of course.

·
Premium Member
22,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He obviously didn't read Jimbo's "McClaren can sod off".

On the other hand, he'd better not sod off to Newcastle or anywhere else this time - unless he proves to be crap, of course.
:D

Honestly never expected to see him back, if he gets us winning again then all will be forgiven in the usual style if the fickle football fan :)

·
Registered
612 Posts
I reckon you're right.

Didn't know the tune. At least the comments are not as abusive as the stuff on social media that Gerard Piqué and Wayne Rooney have had to put up with in recent days.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I look forward to the return of exciting attacking football. If the games are as enjoyable as the majority of his first spell I will be happy.

·
Premium Member
22,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I look forward to the return of exciting attacking football. If the games are as enjoyable as the majority of his first spell I will be happy.
Yeah. I just hope he discovers that plan B we never found last time.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Yeah. I just hope he discovers that plan B we never found last time.
Interesting and fair point. Carlo Ancelotti, Bayern Munich's coach, touches on the matter in the current edition of "World Soccer". The interviewer says: "You are very composed in your technical area. Is it because a coach can't really influence proceedings from the sidelines?" Ancelotti replies: "During a game you can't do anything. It's up to the players to adjust and win. You can't change much from the touchline. At half-time it's a different story. Most of my work is done before a game, when you have the opportunity to prepare the team and set out the strategy." (The italics are mine.)

In other words, you need to devise a Plan B for that particular opponent on the training pitch, before the fixture. If you don't have one, and things go wrong early in the first half, you effectively waste half the game because the coach can't do anything until the half-time team talk. And if things go wrong early in the second half: :|

If what Ancelotti says is right, Simeone-style touchline histrionics are a waste of time and energy. But surely, a coach can get a message to the players during the game, either via one of the wide men (who would then talk to the captain) or when the players are taking water, during a stoppage for an injury.

·
Premium Member
22,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Reactions: Los Che Forever

·
Premium Member
22,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Interesting and fair point. Carlo Ancelotti, Bayern Munich's coach, touches on the matter in the current edition of "World Soccer". The interviewer says: "You are very composed in your technical area. Is it because a coach can't really influence proceedings from the sidelines?" Ancelotti replies: "During a game you can't do anything. It's up to the players to adjust and win. You can't change much from the touchline. At half-time it's a different story. Most of my work is done before a game, when you have the opportunity to prepare the team and set out the strategy." (The italics are mine.)

In other words, you need to devise a Plan B for that particular opponent on the training pitch, before the fixture. If you don't have one, and things go wrong early in the first half, you effectively waste half the game because the coach can't do anything until the half-time team talk. And if things go wrong early in the second half: :|

If what Ancelotti says is right, Simeone-style touchline histrionics are a waste of time and energy. But surely, a coach can get a message to the players during the game, either via one of the wide men (who would then talk to the captain) or when the players are taking water, during a stoppage for an injury.
I guess getting messages across to players during a game, depends a lot on the intelligence of the players, and their ability to adapt.

From my very low level playing experience, changing formation/tactics during a game done off the cuff without any previous thought was always a recipe for disaster.

·
Premium Member
22,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Chris Powell stays as assistant, Kevin Phillips & Pascal Zuberbuhler also stay on.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts