Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think of this?There are quite a few legends around of the game,And although this is a great honour of respect for a player.But do you agree in retiring the shirt of one?

·
Administrator
30,826 Posts
No, Now it is too late. Not even the 10 belongs to anyone but Pele but Maradona but Zico but Platini but...

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
No - One player should not make a shirt his own no matter how good!

·
Registered
5,608 Posts
I think only Maradona and Pele deserve this accolade. If this goes on Manchester United would have to retire Gary Neville's shirt once he quits the game and players will be forced to wear triple digit numbers in the near future as there won't be enough usable numbers to go around anymore.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
every player that respects the game and himself should reject such an offer if any, it is pointless to do it - no one gains only the kids that dream of wearing #10 or #3, or any other number ever worn by one of the legends, will lose
it would be a pity

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
Tolga said:
Fenerbahçe have retired the #12 jersey, and it's now reserved for the fans..

We've always called our fans the "12th player", and a few years back the board decided to dedicate something to us.. So now you'll see supporters wearing #12 - Taraftar (fan) on their jerseys :shades:

But on players.. No way!
I'm already sick of seeing players with #67, or whatever..
I like that.....what a great gesture! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,608 Posts
Tolga said:
Fenerbahçe have retired the #12 jersey, and it's now reserved for the fans..

We've always called our fans the "12th player", and a few years back the board decided to dedicate something to us.. So now you'll see supporters wearing #12 - Taraftar (fan) on their jerseys :shades:

But on players.. No way!
I'm already sick of seeing players with #67, or whatever..
It's a great gesture. Lecce has something similiar (declaring their fans as #12) but I don't think they ever retired the jersey.

This is fast becoming like the NBA, where Michael Jordan and Magic Johnson's jerseys are famously retired..

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Great Outdoors said:
This is fast becoming like the NBA, where Michael Jordan and Magic Johnson's jerseys are famously retired..
That's a wee bit of apples and oranges. Basketball kit numbers are commonly going from 0 to 99 so they're able to retire numbers like #23. It's stupid in football and looks wrong. Even numbers in the thirties look out of place, if you ask me.

I'd rather we just stuck to 1-16 ...

·
Registered
6,768 Posts
Reading have done the same, but we have the number 13. On the squad list its labelled

13 - Reading Fans (DoB: 25/12/1871 Position: Defender)

·
Registered
11,208 Posts
Alexey said:
Beckham got a number over twenty, serves him right. Galactico LOL
He went for Michael Jordan's famous number in Chicago Bulls. :smileani: While Jordan was special Beckham is not.

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So is Newcastle going to retire Bellamy's shirt/ :rolleyes: :dielaugh:

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Haroon said:
He went for Michael Jordan's famous number in Chicago Bulls. :smileani: While Jordan was special Beckham is not.
Campbell wears #23 because he used to wear #5 at Tottenham. Heh. Nobody will wear Tony Adams' #6 until a suitable replacement is found, same deal with Dennis' #10.

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
City retired Marc-Vivien Foé's Number 23 shirt in his honour. It is printed on the programme that it is dedicated to him. I think that is a circumstance that the shirt should be retired.

~ The Green ;)ne

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Numbers should not be retired no matter who had it first. If for example a country had a great Number 10, somebody else should be able to wear it afterwards to keep the tradition alive.

·
Proud Juventino.
20,505 Posts
no one in juve can replace our capitano # 10 when he retires. :stuckup:

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Egyptian_Juventino said:
no one in juve can replace our capitano # 10 when he retires. :stuckup:
What about the true greats like bettega,platini,Sivori etc do you retire their jumpers as well?although it's a great honour and I'm all for it,on the other hand where do you stop?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts