Xtratime Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the last game of the group stage when team secures the qualification. Coaches repeat this tactical mistake all the time, although it has never shown any benefit. If anything it most of the time backfires.

..as we've seen recently with Portugal and Netherlands. That's why teams which struggle to qualify usually do well, cause they are prepared and mentally ready. But when you rest half your team, it kills the momentum, disturbs the team harmony and miss up the tactics.

I understand resting players who are carrying an injury or in risk of suspension. But resting the others make no sense, the whole tournament is 6 games max and usually you rest in the third game.. really dumb. It simply makes no sense to me. The last game of the group stage when you're already qualified is an extra chance, an advantage to play your strongest team and try to tune things and correct mistakes with no pressure. Just ask the players to take it lightly and save some energy.

·
Administrator
25,577 Posts
cant say thats a "mistake"

we did it in the WC, and it didnt harm us

dont think that resting players is a mistake, in fact if a team can afford it, its rather a way to prevent key players from missing the following key game due to injury or cards

·
Second Place winner, March 2009 Photo Contest
10,625 Posts
I think it does have an effect, how could it not? In some cases positive and in some negative though.

·
Premium Member
13,059 Posts
Nice try of jinxing Italy. ;)

Italy did it 2000 and it did not stop them from reaching the final.

·
Registered
67,120 Posts
Yeah, easy to talk the talk now with the benefit of hindsight.

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
It would be a big mistake to lose 2/3 key players through injury/suspension in a nothing game imo. Imagine the criticism if you lose the next knock out game.

·
Registered
12,028 Posts
Ecuador rested 6 of 11 startes against Germany after qualifying by beating Costa Rica 3-0 in the last world cup. And lost 3-0 in Berlin.

And then we lost to the Brits. Shows you how bad of a decision that was after being the revelation of the world cup after the first 2 games.

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
Ecuador rested 6 of 11 startes against Germany after qualifying by beating Costa Rica 3-0 in the last world cup. And lost 3-0 in Berlin.

And then we lost to the Brits. Shows you how bad of a decision that was after being the revelation of the world cup after the first 2 games.
Erm.. Please dont make the day for the Scots,Welsh and Northern Irish by letting them think they were actualyl involved in a WC recently.

England and only England qualfies for things, and even that isnt true :D

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Correlation doesn't equal to causation. Just because they rest players doesn't mean that resting the players was the cause for failure.

1. Germany would've beaten Portugal anyways. I knew they would, because Portugal's style is poor against Germany.
2. Turkey didn't outplay Croatia.
3. Holland had an off day against Russia.

·
Registered
12,028 Posts
Correlation doesn't equal to causation. Just because they rest players doesn't mean that resting the players was the cause for failure.

1. Germany would've beaten Portugal anyways. I knew they would, because Portugal's style is poor against Germany.
2. Turkey didn't outplay Croatia.
3. Holland had an off day against Russia.
Thats the whole point, no invoke Kant to a simple argument.

From an even more pratical standpoint, NT players play together very very little. So keeping them playing together is the simplest way to ensure that the chemistry in the team, which is very sensitive, is maintained.

As far as Holland having an off day, Holland only created chances through set pieces. Thats not an off day, it was a NO day. There was more to an off day, and I think its fair to draw questions, like this one.
But its not like Marco's decision to rest the players was flawed from the get go, he was being praised after Holland's second team kicked Romania's arse.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.