Xtratime Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
9/7/05

Ben McIntyre takes over as manager of Manchester united. McIntyre is expected to guide Manchester united to European qualification, and has been given an extravagant budget of £25m to do so!

As an up-and-coming sports writer at English Football Magazine ‘4-4-2’, I have been given the task of tracking the work of McIntyre, following his time at manchester united . The Red devils are in shock at the announcement of such an unknown manager, so I feel I am doing my civic duty in finding out more about him and following his progress.

So I went and got what everyone wanted, a insight into the man who is replacing the great sir Alex Ferguson, who achieved great things at old Trafford, so I arranged a meeting with Mr. McIntyre and these were the questions I asked and also the answers I got,

I am grateful of you to share your time with me Mr. McIntyre, I say, I have no doubt that you are going to be very busy, “Pleasure to meet you, I am an avid reader of 4-4-2,” he says seemingly honestly. “He says shaking my hand with a tight hold, Hello Mr. McIntyre, welcome to the magical land of Manchester,” I reply, grinning ridiculously.

We chat for several minutes about the area and the club, its history and prospects for the current season. I warn him that he may see my face quite a lot from now on but he doesn’t seem to mind. Then I ask him what part of the country he comes from,

“I come from Yorkshire not too far from Sheffield”, .I hear you’re a big Sheffield united fan? I continue to quiz him, “yes I have had a season ticket there since I was a child, I even had my first coaching job there a few years back” he answered,
what kind of coaching was it Mr. McIntyre? “Well to start with I was the under 19 coach but worked my way up and became first team coach” I went on to let him know that he is not as inexperienced as everyone thinks then,

I try to probe him on players but he says he is yet to make any decisions on personnel. He does reveal to me that he has handed the responsibility of training to his assistant, Carlos Quiroz for the time being. He hopes this will allow him to ease into the job and take a view on players during pre-season from a more objective angle.

I eventually squeeze out of him that he hopes to bring in 5 or 6 players. I don’t push him too far, as I don’t want to spoil a perfect start to our relationship. I still don’t think he fully understands how often he will be seeing me from now on.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
10/07/05

A contact of mine tells me that he has heard Manchester united are moving for up to eight players already. I tell him about my meeting with McIntyre but he insists that McIntyre is quick off the mark. He names Ballack the key target, though there is strong competition from Liverpool.

I contact united but am told that “Mr. McIntyre is unavailable today”. I hope to get to the stage soon where I can befriend McIntyre and get a private contact number. This is easier said than done though. Many a journalist has fallen by the wayside due to losing contacts for being too pushy. I’ll try to judge the situation and find out from others what McIntyre thinks of me… if anything!

I report back to my boss, send in my first article, entitled ‘new era at old Trafford!’ and am told to go home and play with my girlfriend. I explain that I do not have a girlfriend and am currently living in a flat on my own. “Well, go out and find some women,” my boss shouts. I nod and chuckle but decide to go back to my flat and do some research.

11/07/05

My mobile phone rings at 5:32am… it’s a contact from the united backroom staff. Burrdiso and a young lad called Theo Walcott have been offered contracts after their clubs accepted bids for him. Several other players are also being heavily bid for but he doesn’t know their names yet.

I excitedly pick up my laptop and send off an e-mail to my boss. He gives me front page headline on tomorrow’s daily magazine.

17/07/05

What a busy week it’s been! I was finally able to question McIntyre after several rebuffs from united. I asked him about transfers and he confirmed his interest in Walcott but wouldn’t be drawn on ballack He has also put in bids for several more players, who he won’t be drawn on further. However, he did say that he expects to only sign 3 or 4 players plus a few young prospects for the clubs future.

I questioned him on player’s futures at the club. He said he would reserve judgment on most players until he has seen them in training and pre-season but confirmed the rumor that Quinton fortune is being offered to several English clubs to make way for another midfielder to be brought into the squad.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
one of the starlets to arrive

20/07/05

After meeting with McIntyre several times now, we are starting to form a good relationship. He has consistently given me information before anyone else, which bodes well I think. He has told me that the club are struggling to sign players due to greedy clubs but that one or two signings are just around the corner.

I put to him that he has made huge bids for ballack, sedorf and nesta . He grins before saying that he cannot comment on silly transfer rumors.

united are playing a few friendlies now… winning easily against bad teams. I won’t be traveling to many friendlies but I have just found out that I will be going to every united Champions League match. Sky is a TV station who broadcast nearly all big games in England and the Champions League. I have been asked to co-commentate for them on united games, as they have been impressed by my recent writing for 4-4-2 and have heard my work for English Radio stations.

02/08/05

I meet with McIntyre, and it’s the first time I have seen him in a foul mood. He says he is loving life at united but you can sense his growing frustration that he is unable to bring in the players he so desperately wants.

“Looking at the squad and the players I want, I realize that I must sell 5 or 6 players to bring in who I want. That is why I have sold lee martin to Portsmouth for a million and why I hope to sell fortune to the highest bidder. These are good players but not good enough for the future of such a great football club. These won’t be the only players leaving but I have a lot of confidence in most of the squad. The big stars will be staying but their places will be under pressure.”

I thank McIntyre for his honesty and go on my way. I sense that now is not the time to bug him too much. He has a big job on his hands over the next few weeks and I don’t want to stand in his way. Yes, I am a critic at times but I love united and I will never stand in the way of making this club even greater than it is. Any sense of worry I had about McIntyre not being good enough for united has gone (for now!).

03/08/05

Bravo unveils his first signings Theo Walcott - from Southampton, Sam collier- from afc Wimbledon, nuri sahin , and aismar aissaiti all under the age of seventeen and are great prospects for the club, . The press conference feels like a courtroom as McIntyre bats away question after question on where the expected big signings are. The players look petrified, there ecstatic entrance has been hit by the reality that these signings aren’t big enough news for the united fans. However, McIntyre talks warmly about the young starlets, saying that he hopes they will develop into world class footballers under his stewardship. He believes they have a bright future at old Trafford.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
04/08/05

The news that everyone was hoping for - a big signing. Despite previously denying it to everyone, McIntyre reveals estaban cambiasso as a united player .cambiasso has been progressing brilliantly at inter and McIntyre feels he is now to move onto the big stage and fight for a place at old Trafford.

McIntyre also unveils a talented defender from Norway. No one is particularly interested, as journalists clamor around estaban for quotes. I listen to estaban talk about “learning more from big players”, making an impact on the big stage and “cementing my place in the Argentinean first team,” and then I make my way over to haangeland a virtually ignored. I ask him about his upbringing and then ask McIntyre why he has brought brede to England . mcintyre speaks in glowing terms about a player set to make a huge impact on world football. haangeland is “unique”, he says. We shall see.

I question McIntyre about young left winger, Stewart downing . He doesn’t admit any bids but admits an interest in such a talented player. However, he says that Middlesbrough will have to lower their demands if united are going to be able to sign the English wonder kid. It seems the deal for cambiasso was big. Rumors say as big as £15m but mcintyre laughs at this figure.

08/08/05
I received a phone call from McIntyre this morning! I was in shock for about 30 seconds… “How did you get my number?” He apologized and said he would not call me at home if it was an inconvenience. I suddenly came to and got over the shock of being phoned at home by the united Manager. “No, no, it’s a pleasure. How are you, Mr. McIntyre?”

We spoke for nearly an hour on the phone. He told me that he had rejected a £4m offer for Tim Howard from Middlesbrough and was still being frustrated by greedy teams asking for too much for their players. He said he was confident of getting the defender and striker he had in mind. I pressed him for names but he would only admit that he had had a bid for Defoe rejected and wasn’t going to pursue it further.

10/08/05
McIntyre revels in the welcome he receives at old Trafford for his debut home match. He tells press and TV stations that he has never experienced such a feeling before a game. He hopes to repay the fine welcome with a foot in the group stages with a comftorble win, and an exciting display.

Manchester united v rapid wein- Wednesday 10th august 2005
GK – van der sar
DR – neville
DL - hientze
DC - silvestre
DC - brown
RW - ronaldo
LW - giggs
DMC – keane C
AMC - scholes
SC - rooney
AMC - neistlerooy

Subs:howard, bardsley, o`shea, richardson, walcott, e-bamks- blake, fletcher.

The opening to the game is nervy. United play the ball around nicely but there is no end product, just a bunch of long hits. Apart from a 20 yard strike from scholes that stings the fingers of away keeper fiori , the men in red are lacking in ideas.

McIntyre realizes the need for a change but keeps it tactical for now. After 30 mins, he instructs the team to go on the attack; use counter attacks and tells Rooney and scholes to support neistlerooy more up front.
However, scholes continues to get bogged down in midfield until the 42nd minute when ronaldo takes advantage of a poor pass. A quick break ends with Rooney netting from close range.
H/T – Manchester united 1 v 0 rapid wein - Attendance: 60910

mcintyre makes changes at half-time. Walcott and banks-blake replace giggs
and neistlrooy. Scholes is pushed further up field to help the attackers more , with Walcott employed as attacking winger he slots in on the left,. McIntyre also instructs Neville and heintze to support the attack more.

Straight from kick-off the team is more positive. Ronaldo collects the ball down the right and crosses to the penalty spotkeane meets the ball with his head and directs it straightinto the net. Game on!

Ronaldo again. This time his close range effort is pushed out by the keeper and rooney was there to finish the rebound after keane and Walcott linked to good effect down the left

ft– Manchester united 3 v rapid 0 rooney (48)(67) keane (55)

rooney starred with 2 goals

at the after-match press conference you could see by the look on mcintyres face that he was very happy, he had made a start to silencing the boo boys who were present for most of the first half up until the goal.

14/08/05
I have just returned from a short break in Greece. McIntyre told me that nothing was going to happen for a few days so I took the opportunity to have some of my holiday leave. After a look at the rubble of the Olympic Village and the other unfinished monuments in Athens, I made my way back to Manchester. On my way, I met Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger. He was on his way to Madrid on business (he wouldn’t say what!) so I asked him about united. However, just as it was getting interesting, he was whisked away by his PA to meet some officials from Real Madrid. “Ah well, another story to mention in tomorrow’s magazine column,” I thought.

·
Registered
8,447 Posts
interesting! even if man u isn't the club i like :depress: good luck!

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
15/08/05

After such a long run up to the season, it all starts today with a Chelsea making the trip down her to Manchester. Not the easiest start for united. From now on my job gets busy and harder too. Making friends with McIntyre won’t be easy if McIntyre get off to a bad start. He seems to have made the right moves so far but the lack of a really big name signing could come back to haunt him if united have a bad season. He claims that he is reshuffling the squad and a big name or two may come in later but is he just covering his back if it all goes wrong?

For this first match of the season, I was simply there to report for 4-4-2 which allows me to concentrate on the team and getting close to McIntyre before and after the match. McIntyre called for a short press meeting before the match. He spoke frankly to journalists about the upcoming season, saying that he would “always be open with you, if you are open with me”. He subtly laid down some house rules, making everyone present aware that if we played by his rules, we would be rewarded with information and openness. You could tell this was a man not to be crossed. He was calm and assuring but direct and strong-willed.

It has to be said that the players looked the most relaxed I have seen in a long time at united. The pressure is always huge at old Trafford. Maybe it was just the new situation or playing away from home but these players looked like they were enjoying themselves. Weird.

united vs. Chelsea – premiership - Sunday 14th August 2005

GK – van der sar
DR - neville
DL - heintze
DC - brown
DC - silvestre
RW - ronaldo
LW - giggs
DMC - keane
AMC - scholes
SC - neistlerooy
SC -rooney

Subs: howard, oshea, walcott, fletcher, smith,

The first half was like pre-season. Chelsea didn’t have the guile or ambition to get further than the centre circle for the most part, while united trotted around, trying shots from distance and intricate build up play. It was same old united, trying to win matches as easily as possible.

late on in the second half though Chelsea did start to get there act together and started to move the ball around and put pressure on united. The whistle went for half time and both managers may feel change is needed.

H/T – united 0 v 0 Chelsea - Attendance: 67822

the 2nd half was packed with action but it rarely culminated in good chances in front of goal. Chelsea fought hard, sometimes too hard, to a goal and take the points, but united were equal to their efforts every time and the superior passing, movement and confidence of the united coasted them to a comftorble draw.

United fans seemed pleased with their teams performance and were delighted to see the starlet Walcott come on make his debut.

F/T - united 0 v 0 Chelsea - MOTM: brown
was a rock at the back.

In the press conference soon after the match, McIntyre confirmed that a few transfers could be made in the final fortnight before the deadline. Questions were asked as to why no left midfielder had come in yet , as they didn’t think it was ideal for giggs to be expected to play every game, . McIntyre disagreed, stating that giggs had a lot of experience and could last the games as he is very match fit, but he confirmed he is talking to a midfielder in the giggs like mould at the minute .
Little mention was made to the performance, in fact. Reporters repeatedly questioned mcintyre about the rumor that he has had a bust-up with Rio Ferdinand. Rio was reported to be disillusioned at his omission from the starting line-up but

However, McIntyre denied any rift and even went as far as asking Rio to come into the press conference and tell his side of the story. Ferdinand said, “I am very disappointed at being left out of the starting line-up but I am unfit, I have strained my calf and hopefully I will be able to return to the first team shortly ,but I respect Mr. McIntyre’s decision. Mr. McIntyre has assured me that I have still have my place available in the first team but was quick to tell me its not guaranteed all season,.,. We are all delighted at gaining the three points today.” And with that he got up and left.

19/08/05
I can’t get hold of McIntyre. I think he’s so immersed in getting deals done that he hasn’t got time for anything else. He told me a few days ago that he was close to signing 4 players. One of those has been completed - a young goalkeeper from hearts l called Craig Gordon. The united faithful are a little restless. They want three more signings and at least one big signing to get them excited.

21/08/05
I finally hear from McIntyre. He tells me that he has given up on signing a striker. He feels that the club has enough quality up front already and wants to spend money on securing the defense. He informs me that he is trying to sign a Englishman, a Chilean and a Argentinean . I laugh but he remains silent and I worry about what unknowns will be coming in next. So far, his signings have been questionable. The red devils seem fairly content but they know as well as McIntyre that the defense needs re-enforcing.

23/08/05
Well, the Argentinean has arrived Nicola burdiso is set to be united back up defender for the upcoming season. McIntyre seems confident he can become the first team central defender by the time he is 25. The red devils have been surprisingly upbeat about the news. I think they’re hoping he will become first team quality in the first season minus

Transfer deadline in one week. McIntyre says it is the most important week of his life!!

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
23/08/05

mcintyre bravely makes a few changes the same formation will be used and recent big money signing cambiasso makes the bench, but still no rio Ferdinand. United have had a few knocks during mid week, van der sar and gigs will both miss due to injurys,

wigan vs. united premiership - Sunday 20th august 2005

GK – howard
DR - neville
DL - heintze
DC - brown
DC - burdiaso
RW - ronaldo
LW - richardson
MC - keane
MC - smith
FC - rooney
FC - neistlerooy

Subs: steele, silvestre, cambiasso, scholes, walcott,

united get off to a flyer!! Brown takes a free-kick from inside his own half and rooney flicks the ball passed the goalkeeper under pressure from henchoz in an aerial challenge. A route one goal but maybe it was the slice of luck mcintyre needed to get united going. The home fans were delighted but wary of wigan striker Roberts , who had destroyed many defenses in the past

united continue to push for goals and the fans are loving it. Richardson sweeps down the left wing and crosses for neistlerooy, who shoots just over. Rooney remains at the centre of things. He dashes past several defenders, shoots on the turn and forces a good save. Another corner to united.

Pollit , in the wigan goal, denies united several times in succession. However, a great run through the heart of the wigan defence from smith culminates with a powerful shot being parried by Franco into the path of the onrushing neistlerooy, who slots the ball into the bottom corner to make it 2-0 united.

and that’s how it remained until half time, united cruising to victory,

H/T – wigan 0 vs 2 united - Attendance: 24346

mcintyre uses this situation to rest neistlrooy and keane, allowing him to give a debut to cambiasso who got a great roar as it was announced he was coming on, and Walcott will partner rooney in attack,

In the 50th minute Alan smith again shows that he is scared to shoot from distance. Despite a deflection, pollit collects comfortably though. More impressive was the build up. A great ball from the solid heintze, after a commanding header from burdiaso.

After 56 minutes, heintze picks out the totally unmarked Richardson on the left wing, who has all the time in the world to lob the ball into the path of Rooney in the penalty area. Just as Rooney n is about to shoot, right-back chimbonda pulls the English star back and the referee awards a penalty. Smith asks for the ball and steps up… smith places the ball in the top corner to give united a commanding 3-0 lead after 57 minutes.

From kick-off, Roberts runs at the united defense. However, he is met by a strong challenge from cambiasso , who steals the ball and plays it to the comfortable heintze . cambiasso receives a huge round of applause from a crowd that rarely reward tackling with applause but know the threat of Roberts all too well. cambiassos’ confidence is visibly buoyed and soon has a crack at goal from distance. The ball skims the bar but it is evident that this player to united has settled in a foreign land surprisingly quickly.

Wigan resort to fouling united at every opportunity and give away a number of free-kicks. This tactic soon backfires on them, when united load another ball into the box, which Rooney knocks in from close range to claim his second goal of the match.

A thundering shot by ronaldo from 30 yards tests pollit but he is equal to the challenge. His shot stopping is far more solid than his catching and commanding of his area.

heintze again demonstrates his maturity with a last ditch tackle on Connolly , before setting up smith for another long shot that curls well wide of the post. Great skill, balance and pace from ronaldo and Rooney thrills the crowd ,

heintze makes a huge error in the 70th minute, his first mistake of the match. And attempted pass back to brown is intercepted by the still lively roberts . Roberts sprints at howard but howard manages to get a hand on the ball and drag the ball into his chest, away from a despondent roberts.

Roberts looks low on confidence and misses out on a good chance when dithering in front of goal, allowing burdisso to come back and regain possession for the home side.

At this point united would normally stop trying and try to coast home as easily as possible. For some reason, not this time. Neville raced forward to take a long throw after a succession of united free-kicks. His throw fell under the crossbar for pollit to claim. However, as pollit steadied himself to catch the ball, rooney leaped high to nod the ball into the net from 1 yard. The young Englishman ran to the united fans, to celebrate his first hatrick of the season for united .

An injury to heinze brings Silvestre onto the field to huge cheers. I notice mcintyre taking in the appreciation of the frenchman with an almost quizzical look on his face. Silvestre is loved but he’s not sure exactly why. “He’s a good player but he’s not a local lad and hasn’t won much with united so why the adulation?” he thinks. It’s written all over his face.

As the minutes wear on, and wigan get tired, Walcott comes into the match more and more. He shoots wide, crosses for rooney and gains several corners. This is a talent that the red devils weren’t expecting.

One of my final notes about the game in my notebook - ‘rooney has been instrumental today’. How fitting that the last chance of the match was another long range effort by the young striker.

F/T – wigan 0 v 5 united - MOTM: rooney
was influential for united

In the press conference afterwards, praise was heaped from all angles but there were questions about the Silvestre , who had replaced heinze due to the injury after half-time. Mcintyre admitted that Silvestre was under pressure to prove he is good enough to remain at the club but asked for a degree of patience from supporters and the media.

However, two hours later I received a phone call from Bravo, telling me that he had had a long conversation with Silvestre and that Silvestre is now placed on the transfer list with £8m as the asking price.

25/08/05

for the second leg of the European tie, mcintyre knew he was going into the game with a 3-0 lead so decided to rest most of his stars, the good news for the the united fans is the return to full training of rio Ferdinand , he made the bench for this match,

rapid wein v Manchester united – wednsday 24th august,
GK – howard
DR - bardsley
DL - silvestre
DC - oshea
DC - burdiaso
RW - park
LW - fortune
MC -fletcher
MC - miller
FC - rooney
FC - walcott
Subs: vander sar, ferdinand,keane, scholes, neistlerooy, ronaldo, brown

so the weakened side were going to need to play well with the hope of winning a regular place in the team, the first real chance of the game was when fortune broke free down the left wing and whipped a beautifull ball which was headed out, but it landed at millers feet who struck it directly at the keeper,

the game tempo seemed to have been slowed down by mcintyre as he tried to stop the end to end attacking, united seemed to get old of the ball more and started to pass the ball around the team well,

there was only one more real chance in the half from a park vollet which struck the outside of the post,

H/T –rapid wein 0 vs 0 united - Attendance: 33266

Mcintyre decided against making changes at half time as he was enjoying watching the players who are pushing for a start at old Trafford,

The second half begins and instantly fiori the wein keeper is called to make a superb save from a rooney power drive, and on the 55th minute the dead lock was broken the impressive Walcott who has been given his first start darted down the centre of the park evading tasckles, he played a lovely return pass with rooney and slotted the ball under the out rushing keeper,

United seemed to be cruising at 1-0 until the 85th minute when Silvestre was cought in possession and holbling rushed foreword with the ball and made no mistake,

F/T – wein 1 v 1 united - MOTM: Walcott

The after match conference was skipped as united were going straight for the plane as they have a league game in 3 days,

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
27/08/05

middlesbrough vs. united – Saturday 27th august
GK – vander sar
DR - neville
DL - silvestre
DC - brown
DC - burdiaso
RW - ronaldo
LW – Richardson
DMC - cambiasso
AMC - scholes
SC - rooney
SC – neistlerooy

Subs: howard, ferdinand, keane, walcott, smith,

I missed this game as I had a family event to attend, I do know that Manchester united lost the game 3-2, boro went 2-0 up though hasslebaink and yakubu, then ruud replied with two goals but in the second half yakubu scored the winner,

29/08/05

No word from mcintyre … I’ve heard he is in negotiations with three players, very hopeful that two will sign. Cruziero defender Maldonado is rumoured to be set for united. The red devils are hoping this is true… they rate the young chilean very highly after an outstanding performance by him for the chile in a recent tournament

30/08/05

Some transfer news at last but just another couple of squad players - this time the suspected arrivel of Maldonado and the young Scottish keeper craig Gordon from hearts, . mcintyre claims the 22 year old Scottish is a hot prospect. United fans are pleased to see the club investing in youth, however, they are desperate to see a left winger come in. Bravo wouldn’t confirm or deny any bid for stewert downing in the press conference, which signalled to all fans and media that the two parties are in negotiations.united supporters are nervous with anticipation.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
31/08/05

park keeps his place in the starting line-up and Rio gets his first start of the season, burdisso partners Rio and cambiasso has been given the nod ahead of keane.

Man utd vs. man city – premiership - Wednesday 31st august 2005

GK – van der sar
DR - neville
DL – o`shea
DC - ferdinand
DC - burdisso
RW - park
LW - ronaldo
MC - cambiasso
MC - scholes
FC - rooney
FC - neistlerooy

Subs: howard, silvestre, keane, smith, walcott,.

From the first second, it is all out attack by both sides. Rooney is the first to have a shot, lobbing the ball just over the bar from a good position. The second chance also goes to Rooney but his curling free-kick just misses the post. 95m people are said to be watching the match on TV around the world and they must be glued to it!

Outstanding play from sibierski and Barton gives city a chance to open the scoring but he blasts his shot wide from a tight angle. However, in the 15th minute city take the lead only for it to be disallowed for a foul on the keeper,. Backing off by Ferdinand allows vassell to race through, after great defending from distan. Vassell switches the play wide to Sinclair who crosses but vassell got to it first but is adjudged to have impeded the keeper,

united keep going forward though an only a few minutes later scholes is fouled just outside the penalty area by dunne . The referee calls dunne over and gives him the RED CARD!!! The stadium is shocked into silence but united don’t seem to care… ronaldo prepares to take the free-kick.

united heap pressure on the city’s goal but the final ball isn’t up to scratch Barton breaks from midfield after another united attack but is halted on his way to goal by the calm and collected Rio , again showing great maturity.

H/T – united 0 v 0 city - Attendance: 68365

city are limited to breakaways at the start of the second half but vassell is danger enough to still be wary. In the 60th minute city gain a corner and test vander sar , who just manages to punch the ball clear. Now united can break. Ronaldo picks up the ball and runs at the city defense. They back off and back off again, allowing ronaldo to race through and blast home the equalizer from 10 yards. United fans in ecstasy!

McIntyre brings on brown and keane for burrdiso and scholes respectively, to freshen up the centre. Brown looks keen to impress his new manager. Keanes ’ first contribution is to get booked for a late tackle on joey barton

united bombard city’s goal, with Rooney , ronaldo and park going close and the tiring cambiasso orchestrating the midfield.

Then the the second goal after 77 minutes neistlerooy tests James with a drive and forces a corner. Ronaldo swings in a wicked corner under the bar, which rooney bundles home from 1 yard. Everyone congratulates him on his goal. 2-0 to united!!

This forces city to go on the attack. They change to a 4-2-3 formation and start to gain more possession. Mcintyre responds by telling his players to get men behind the ball, not to attack so much and for keane, cambiasso and park to play slightly deeper roles.

Whilst cambiasso continues to break up play effectively, Rooney manages to hold onto the ball for great lengths of time, frustrating city no end. The united defense stands firm, with Rio and brown playing like a wall.

The whole team keeps the ball well and uses it wisely, seeing out the game without a fright.

F/T – united 2 v 0 city - MOTM: cambiasso

starred in this derby

This fantastic result rocketed united up to fifth in the league, a point behind Chelsea . David gill united Chairman could not hide his delight at the result and neither could a beaming McIntyre. He tried to remain calm and keep everyone’s feet on the ground but after a result like this, no one could stop smiling. The performances of Rio, cambiasso , Rooney , and ronaldo were very encouraging, considering that these players are the younger members of the squad too.

However, city journalists questioned McIntyre on whether united would have stood a chance if Dunne hadn’t been sent off. He could only answer, “We’ll never know!” And who at united frankly cared!

05/09/05

When I meet up with McIntyre, he tells me that he is very confident that the Boro loss is just a blip. He admits to having some niggling worries though. The only one he will reveal is his annoyance with what he deems as poor scouting. He sent his scouts out to several areas of Europe but has been unhappy at the poor players that have been scouted. He says he will have to do his own scouting in future, until he can bring in some better scouts.

09/09/05

Been a slow week at united, with McIntyre still ecstatic at the win over city ,

uniteds champions league group has been drawn, in H with psv, schalke and cska (Sofia)

McIntyre is kind in telling me to watch out for a player called far-fan, who he is very interested in. far-fan has just started featuring regularly for psv and has scored 4 goals in 2 games. Bravo eases up on the criticism of his scouts. I make a mental note to keep track of far-fan and find a contact who can tell me about any transfer activity involving the young Peruvian forward.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well for the first year im goinjg to gently bring him in to the game through easy fa cup and all league cup, what you think to cambiasso tyler?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts