Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Running a lax ship
17,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Charles Dempsey abstained from the final round of 2006 World Cup bid voting as an act of revenge against world football chief Sepp Blatter, it was reported here Saturday.
The mass-circulation Sunday Times claimed the New Zealand-based Oceania delegate had been humiliated by FIFA president Blatter during the Oceania congress in Samoa two
months ago.

Blatter told Dempsey, who has ruled the Oceania Football Confederation for 18 years with an iron fist, that the time was fast approaching for him to surrender his crown,
the Times claimed.

He was also told voting for England 'because his roots lay there' was not acceptable. Oceania member nations later granted Dempsey his wish provided he switched to South Africa when England were eliminated, the report said.
Instead, Scottish-born Dempsey quit the FIFA executive committee meeting in Zurich Thursday when England were eliminated in the second round and headed for his home
overlooking Auckland harbour.

He cited 'intolerable pressure' for the decision, a statement fellow FIFA executive committee member Jack Warner from Trinidad et Tobago later dismissed in the English press, saying Dempsey had 'made it all up'.
The shock move left Germany 12-11 winners of a fierce battle to host the 2006 tournament and South Africa crying foul while Dempsey catapulted from relative obscurity to
international prominence.

Had Dempsey voted for South Africa, there would have been a 12-12 tie and Blatter, a strong backer of Africa hosting the
quadrennial international football showcase for the first time, had the casting vote.

The Times said Dempsey sat drinking with European football boss Lennart Johansson from Sweden at a cosy, wood-panelled bar in an exclusive Zurich hotel on the eve of the vote.
Johansson knew Germany had secured the eight votes from Europe and the four from Asia - one short of the 13 the 1974 hosts needed to stage the World Cup a second time.
'I know who the winner is ... it is a country like England' Johannsson boasted as he left the bar after meeting Dempsey, according to the Sunday Times report.

·
Running a lax ship
17,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The thing is a bit strange on the political/business side of football, I think. Blatter since years and years is impudently among the crooky Adidas lobbyists. This time he went for the Nike (Brasil AND Southafrica, here's the reason for the agreement) side (and we all know what incredible war is going on between the two businesses). Blatter lost to his old friend Beckenbauer and now it's an Adidas country (like France, btw) again....

If anyone has a chance to watch the incredible TV documentary "War of Shoes" just do it ( :) ). You'll see the strangest things in business battle tactics...

CESF
CESC

·
Running a lax ship
17,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Germany's 2006 World Cup bid success was an embarrassment for Brazil, who had confidently predicted that their withdrawal from the race on Monday would allow South Africa to win.

Brazil soccer confederation (CBF) president Ricardo Teixeira said when Brazil pulled out that South Africa would emerge victorious thanks to the votes which would have gone to his own country.

"South Africa will win, probably in the first round (of voting)," he said.

Teixeira, so confident that he even predicted which votes he expected to go to South Africa, said that in return, South Africa would back a future Brazilian bid to host the 2010 finals.

Germany's victory condemned that deal to failure, piling on the misery for the CBF which also came under renewed fire from Pele this week and has given up trying to organise this year's Brazilian championship.

Pele, Brazil's most illustrious personality, had refused to back Brazil's bid, describing it at one stage as "a complete waste of money".

On Wednesday, he renewed his attack on the Brazilian soccer establishment in the Jornal do Brasil newspaper.

"Today, I know all about football, on and off the field," Pele was quoted as saying.

RAN OFF "So much so that I commented that Brazil's 2006 project was not good. But instead of trying to improve, the CBF attacked me. The result is there for everyone to see. We left halfway down the path, we ran off before the competition."

Pele said that Brazil's soccer prestige should have made it a strong candidate.

"What is difficult is managing to have a World Cup awarded to the United States, as I did," he added, referring to his backing for the Americans' successful bid to host the 1994 tournament.

At the same time there has been domestic football chaos, with Brazil's clubs annoucing their own competition to replace the official Brazilian championship.

The CBF said it was unable to go ahead with its flagship tournament after receiving contradictory directives from FIFA and a Brazilian court.

FIFA banned the Brasilia club Gama from playing against any CBF-affiliated clubs. But another order, from a Brasilia court, ordered Gama to be included in the Brazilian championship's first division.

The substitute tournament, which is called the Joao Havelange Cup, has caused outrage among the Brazilian media. They say that the competition, which features 104 clubs divided into three main groups and then sub-divided into further mini groups, is too large and incomprehensible to most fans.

One newspaper dubbed it the "Frankestein Cup" and a columist in the O Globo daily commented: "If I were Jo ao Havelange, I would sue."

Gama were relegated from the first division of the Brazilian championship last year, but have claimed this was unfair as two of their direct rivals were awarded points from matches against Sao Paulo, who fielded an ineligible player.

Gama said that had the points not been awarded, they would have finished outside the relegation zone.

·
Running a lax ship
17,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The telephone lines to the press office at the Swiss headquarters of Fifa, world football's governing body, were jammed all day.

According to the harassed switchboard operator, all lines were busy, there was no answering machine and no one was available to take a message.

Callers eager to know what was going on at Fifa in the wake of Thursday's controversial decision to award the 2006 World Cup to Germany should keep trying in the hope of eventually getting through, she advised.

With hundreds of telephone calls coming in, the world's most powerful sports organisation was simply unable to cope.

It was symbolic of the mess Fifa had landed itself in with the bungled vote in Zurich.

What should have been one of the high points of the football calendar the announcement, broadcast live around the world, of the host country for the quadrennial championship ended as a public relations disaster.

In the ballot of the 24 Fifa executive committee members responsible for choosing the host country, Germany won the race by the narrowest possible margin of 12-11 over runner-up South Africa.

It was the missing vote, the result of a last-minute abstention by Charles Dempsey of New Zealand, that sparked the firestorm engulfing Fifa.

If the 78-year-old had voted for South Africa as mandated by his regional confederation, the result would have been tied.

That would have allowed Sepp Blatter, Fifa's president, to cast the deciding vote in favour of taking the World Cup to the African continent for the first time in the championship's history.

Instead, Germany won, leaving South Africa, the long-time favourite, devastated.

It quickly emerged that Mr Dempsey abstained because he had felt intimidated by what he called "unsustainable pressure" to vote for one of the two main candidates.

That pressure included incessant telephone calls from people associated with the bidders, personal representations from leaders of football and the world of politics (including one from Nelson Mandela on behalf of South Africa), alleged death threats, and a letter purporting to be from the German bidding team offering bribes for his vote.

The letter, which other voters also received, turned out to be a hoax sent by a German satirical magazine.

On Friday Mr Dempsey described the death threats as "cranky calls" that he did not believe were life-threatening.

However, the furore over his abstention, and the intense politicking and secret deal-making that went on between committee members and bidding countries in the final hours before the vote, have left a stain on Fifa's image.

It has also made Mr Dempsey one of the most unpopular men in world football.

The New Zealand sports minister, which had told Mr Dempsey to vote for South Africa, described him as an "international embarrassment".

The whole sorry mess forced Fifa to launch an investigation into attempts to bribe committee members.

A similar inquiry by the German football federation was also under way.

More importantly, the fiasco has led to calls for the World Cup selection process to be overhauled. The oft-touted idea that the event should be rotated between continents has come back into favour.

That way, at least the scrap for votes every four years would be confined to a single confederation, which could agree in advance on a single candidate to put forward for Fifa's approval.

Lennart Johansson, the president of Uefa and the man who masterminded Germany's victory, believes it is time to change the selection process.

"We must act now to take away the unnecessary tension and division caused by the current system," he said.

Football's predicament echoes the crisis that struck the Olympic movement last year.

A corruption scandal involving the bidding for the games forced the International Olympic Committee to reform itself and accept external scrutiny. Now it may be Fifa's turn to do the same.

As for the beleaguered Mr Dempsey, an uncertain fate awaits him when he returns to New Zealand today. Asked what would happen when he got home, he said: "I may get shot, I don't know."

·
Running a lax ship
17,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Charles Dempsey, New Zealand's delegate to Fifa, football's world governing body, whose decision to abstain in the final round of voting led to Germany being awarded the 2006 World Cup, said on Friday he had received crank calls telling him how to vote.

"I did get cranky calls and I was a bit concerned about it, but it wasn't life-threatening, but I was told what I had to do," said the 78-year-old Oceania delegate.

"I had very strong reasons (for abstaining), but I am not going into them. I didn't do it lightly."

Asked if there was any suggestion of "nasty stuff" going on behind the scenes, he replied: "Well, you're touching on it."

"I have no regrets for what I did, none whatsoever at the present moment...People are jumping to conclusions." he added.

Dempsey confirmed that he had received a letter seeking to induce him to change his stance in the run-up to Thursday's vote.

Up to 10 members of the 24-strong Fifa executive committee were reported to have received the letters under their hotel bedroom doors, purporting to be from Germany's 2006 World Cup bid team offering gifts for votes.

Jack Warner of Trinidad and Tobago, president of Concacaf - football's Caribbean, north and central American governing body - dismissed them as "an absolute hoax".

"We are treating it (the letter) with the contempt it deserves." he said.

The claims were also dismissed by England bid chief Alec McGivan who said the letters did not look authentic.

The letter addressed to Warner was signed by Martin Hansen, Secretary TDES (WC 2006 initiative), a fictitious body, and marked confidential.

It said: "in this difficult situation, Mr. Beckenbauer and I would like to emphasise the urgency of our appeal to hold the World Cup 2006 in Germany.

"Let me come straight to the point: In appreciation of your support we would like to offer you a small gift for your vote in favour of Germany. Please do not hesitate to contact me immediately should you have any specific requests."

Asked whether he had received a letter Dempsey said: "I did receive one... I got an envelope under my door but I'll be divulging that on Monday but first I've got to speak to my executive before speaking to anyone."

"I'll make a statement on Monday after I meet my executive committee," Dempsey added.

If Dempsey had voted for Germany's closest challenger South Africa, as the New Zealand government had instructed him to do, the votes would have tied and Fifa president Sepp Blatter, who favoured South Africa, would have had a casting vote. But Dempsey had decided to abstain and that gave the Germans a 12-11 victory.

"As Oceania's representative, Mr Dempsey was under instruction to support the South African bid, once England had dropped out of the ballot," said Trevor Mallard, New Zealand Sports Minister.

"I'm shocked that one individual seems to have abused his voting right by disregarding instructions on voting requirements."

Bill MacGowan, Soccer New Zealand chief executive, said the SNZ wanted to distance itself from Dempsey's decision.

"We're very disappointed...abstaining certainly wasn't our instruction," MacGowan said.

Oceania Football Confederation executives would meet Dempsey on Sunday and seek an explanation before deciding what action, if any, would be taken, MacGowan said.

Ismail Bhamjee, a Fifa executive committee member from South Africa's neighbours Botswana, said after Thursday's vote:

"Charles Dempsey said before the executive committee meeting started this morning that he had a statement to make and read from a letter, advised by his lawyers, that he would stop voting when England were eliminated.

"He said he had been accused of bribery and corruption and would not vote again after England were out. The committee were totally dumbstruck."

David Will, Scotland delegate, who switched his vote from England to Germany, said: "I was aware he was under the most intense pressure to switch his vote to the South Africans but he decided he would not do that. You will have to ask him why."

Angry Irvin Khosa, chairman of the South African bid committee, said: "Fifa should investigate this as I cannot understand how someone can vote in the first two rounds then opt out when the decision had to be made. He has betrayed the South African people."

·
Running a lax ship
17,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
...and what fun it is to have a thread where I can answer to myself all the time... :)

CESF
CESC

·
Running a lax ship
17,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
...and here I go yet again:
South Africa's loss of the race to host the 2006 World Cup is a blow for the country's volatile markets as well as the economy, analysts said Thursday.

Share prices and the rand slumped in line with the nation's spirits after Fifa, world soccer's governing body, handed the tournament to Germany, dashing hopes of a big boost to South Africa's tarnished overseas image.

"It is a bit of a blow. I don't see how the developed world expects the developing world to develop if they keep everything at home," said Mike Schussler, an economist.

The rand slid by more than six cents to R6.8540 to the dollar after the announcement, while the benchmark All-Share index slid by about one per cent to 7,750.2.

Shares later clawed back some lost ground.

Analysts said the World Cup outcome was a setback for the recovering rand, which looks unlikely to recapture the R6.73 to the dollar it reached on Wednesday, partly on optimism that South Africa would win the bid.

That was the rand's best level in two months and represented a retracement of nearly 40 per cent on its steep slide to R7.20 against the dollar in late May from R6.04 at the start of the year.

"I think we will probably go into a holding pattern for now and stay around the R6.80 level, it all depends what happens to the dollar," one analyst said.

A big influx of tourists and flurry of construction generated by the World Cup had been expected to inject up to $2.5bn into the economy and create up to 130,000 jobs in a country with 40 per cent unemployment.

But analysts had said the measurable economic impact on the sports-mad country would have been dwarfed by a "feel-good" factor which would have boosted consumer spending and reassured investors abroad.

South Africa's overseas image has suffered badly from its reputation for rampant crime and the spillover effects of conflicts elsewhere in Africa.

Zimbabwe's land ownership crisis was seen as the key factor which sent South Africa's debt and currency markets into a steep slide during April and May.

Negative sentiment has prevented South Africa from reaping the rewards of its solid economic fundamentals, which include an expected pickup in growth this year, low inflation, and investment-grade ratings from international agencies.

If the country had won the World Cup bid, investors may have started to focus more on those factors, analysts said.

·
Premium Member
14,067 Posts
"He said he had been accused of bribery and corruption and would not vote again after England were out. The committee were totally dumbstruck."

I guess now he won't hear anything about bribery and corruption...

I warched your monologue for a while and decided to stop it before the inevitable "Fine, don't reply, see if I care!" -comment...:)

NESF
NESC

·
Running a lax ship
17,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
...good caring ! And the typing error opens some nice perspetives. To "warch" is a good one. Like maybe "Fernando Couto" is totally warched out, or "today I experienced some serious warching", etc etc :)

CESF
CESC

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Ok,the guy sais he was threatened and attempted to be bribed.There are two stories:

a) The voting is cancelled and re-done because they believe him and they start searching on the subject.

b) They dont believe him at all and punish him for lying

c) They do nothing.

If they choose a) then we have a scandal from Germany.If they choose b) the guy was bribed secretly by Germany nd if we have c) the whole thing was planned.Including his bribing and threatening claims.

·
Canonized
37,734 Posts
Well,
what a load of crap....what is FIFA today? It's just bribary in every single election..just like 2 years ago when Blatter had to buy half of the votes to become FIFA president.
Also, is Funny to see Pele saying "we made a crap prject, useless".....when the guy was invited more than one thousand times to be the HEAD of the project.
If the WC was a waste of money...I don't think all these countries woulod be battlieng so much to get it host it overtheir.
Just ask Spaniards and Americans, how they liked to have a WC and an Olympics in a space less than 10 years!
And i doubt anything would happen...Blatter will receive more money from the Germans ot keep things "clean"!:)

·
Running a lax ship
17,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Blatter was against Germany, to the full contrary of many years him being an Adidas man. So if bribing was going on, it came from Nike. Of course there must have been major pressure and stuff. Things that obviously are common, but turned out to be too much for the grand dad from New Zealand. The bribing game seems to be a younger mens's sport, like for guys who still have some urge for the Ferraris and yachts...
CESF
CESC

·
Running a lax ship
17,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
...and bones for the go-go dancing crowd, before I forget that factor... :)

CESF
CESC

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
There is a Greek saying which fits the occasion:

ôçí äïîá ðïëëïé åìéóçóáí,ôï ÷ñçìá ïõäåéò... (tin doxa poli emisisan,to hrima kanis)

Which means "Many hate fame,but noone hates money".

Yes,even if you are 87 :)

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
And which member of the Committee DID NOT sin in your opinion Amo?

I for one have to say that I have NEVER EVER seen a more obviously corrupted vote in my life regarding a sporting event! I was so disgusted by everything that was happening the last weeks on the matter... :mad:

At least grandpa' made one fan really really happy with his non-voting decision. ME!!! :) :) :)

·
Running a lax ship
17,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
...so you are Beckenbauer then... :)

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
To tell you the truth, I never imagined I'd celebrate a German victory, well, I did that too (never say never :) ). But I was so pissed with eveything that was going on the last weeks... I mean, I would like to see a World Cup in Africa, but the whole matter evolved in such a provocative way... Morocco was also an African Nation, well, nobody seem to care about its Candidacy! Why would I be cheering for South Africa to host the WC when all this was nothing more than mr. Blatter's playback plan for being elected as the FIFA President? Excuse me!!!

As things turned out, I would be cheering for whoever won over the South Africans.

I'm Athenian, we're supposed to host the 2004 Olympics and I'm living the situation every day! It's an absolute nightmare, a complete chaos, and frankly, there are still possibilities that the Olympics Committee might have the Olympic Games taken back from my country. We were (the city of Athens) again Candidates for the 1996 Olympics that were given in Atlanta. You should have been here to live the situation!!! Everybody in Greece was talking about briberies, scandals, the "Coca Cola Power" against the small and poor Greece etc. Our nation's economy at the time was at a very low point, we were agonizing to make our currency strong and as from infrastructure point of view... And we were complaining! We're not sure if we're going to do it NOW (8 years later) and we were complaining!!! I have a living example to doubt whether the South Africans (a country less developped from infrastruture point of view than mine, with a much weaker economy and problems with racism and crime) would be capable of doing it.

But what was REALLY pissing me off was that all this was happening just for mr. Blatter's sake!!!

Well, I have to say HA HA HA!!!!!

I think the best thing is the rotation plan for WCs that has been suggested lately. The whole thing will be solved fairly and squarely, at least from Continent's point of view.

·
International
5,629 Posts
More Eurocentric crap...economics wise SA is as strong if not stronger then Germany...they may not have Mercedes and Volkswagon but they have the key elements...diamonds, gold, and oil. Crime wise Germany is probably more racist then SA with all their neo nazi gangs...but that's neither here or there...the fact of the matter is, that FIFA had the opportunity to do something great for the betterment of the game...instead they chose to get bribed or whatever and completely blow the opportunity to bring a WC to Africa where the expose alone of the game could have brought a tremendous impact on the game.

One good thing about it, unless German scientists genetically reproduce a whole select team with the genes of Beckenbauer, Voller, and Klinsman you can bet that in six years time that even Iran will beat them in their group...but then again they will be the home team, which means the refs will be bought for them to at least make the finals with their crappy players!

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
SA might have diamonds and oil, but what they do not have is decent railways and roads. Or accomodation for that matter. How are the fans supposed to move from city to city, walking? Check your facts, the train delays in SA reach even 24 hours!

I am European, so should I be ashamed of it? I said that I'd like to see a WC in Africa, in my book they deserve it more than the Asians. But based on facts, not Blatter.

And I repeat: Africa yes, but why not Morocco? A much more evolved country in regard to football. Reporters from all over the world that have visited both countries and had seen the Official Candidate Files stated that the Moroccan venues had absolutely nothing to do with the SA ones. Or Morocco doesn't rate as an African country?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts