Xtratime Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1860 new boy Meyer targets Uefa Cup spot

Wednesday 8th May 2002

Switzerland Under-21 defender Remo Meyer has signed for 1860 Munich from Lausanne.

"I joined 1860 to get the best out of myself and I believe we can make it to the Uefa Cup next season," he said.

1860 coach Peter Pacult was delighted. "He impressed me from the first moment I saw him," he said. "He has strong character and is a natural leader. Despite his young age he commands the defense and makes himself heard on the pitch."

Meyer, who committed to a three-year contact, was only 18 when he made his first-division debut for Luzern in the Swiss first division, and later joined Lausanne.

He is generally regarded as Switzerland's most talented defender since Liverpool centre-back Sebastian Henchoz.

1860 finished in ninth spot in the Bundesliga.

·
Registered
11,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Chapuisat joins Young Boys in Berne

Monday 6th May 2002

Veteran striker Stephane Chapuisat has decided to end his career in Switzerland, with the Young Boys club. The former Borussia Dortmund star signed a three-year contract with the Bern side.

A Champions' League winner with Dortmund, where he broke the Budesliga record for goals scored by a foreign player, Chapuisat will hope that donning yellow and black will again bring him more honours.

Young Boys beat off competition from a number of clubs for the signature of the Swiss international, who had been told by Grasshoppers that his contract was not being renewed.

"I'm happy to be joining Young Boys. They play good football, and there is excitement surrounding the team again," Chappi said.

Servette, FC Zurich and Strasbourg were among those hoping secure the services of the 32-year-old. He opted for Young Boys for personal reasons as his girlfriend is from Berne and his daughter lives near Lausanne, and will earn only half of what FC Zurich were offering.

"It says a lot about his character that money was not the deciding factor," said Young Boys president Heinz Fischer. "He's everybody's favourite Swiss player."

1 - 2 of 2 Posts