Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
First Place winner, June 2010 Photo Contest
38,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It's a difficult subject to discuss and threads about it often lead to frustration and end up being closed or deleted. Therefor the Xtratime management is currently considering whether or not such discussion should be allowed in the future and we would like to ask the Political Debate forum regulars what they think about religious discussion. Should it be allowed or disallowed? And what can be done to prevent the sort of problems that religious discussion often leads to. Please give your opinion.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
... which means that our management might consider to create one more no-entry/less-entry zone on Xtratime? :D

I also wonder why you have to "consult" the regulars of the political debate forum (which is actually a well-known no-entry/less-entry zone for many here) while actually we have the whole Xtratime population to ask. ;)

I have my belief (and political views as well, which I prefer to keep my mouth shut after viewing some threads here) but am not too religious because I haven't been to Church for quite a long time, but I have witnessed enough people on Xtratime who show no respect and tolerance, and see people of different (political) opinions and/or religions more inferior than the "mainstream". People give comments that marginalise and/or offend others but refuse to apologise and provide reasons like "oh I have my freedom of speech and no one tells you to take what I said too personally blah blah blah"...

Unless people in this global village start to have more empathy (and I don't think that I'll live to see that day), I'm against the idea.

But hey, I'm no regular of this Political Debate forum (aka less-entry zone for me)...

·
38,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No it's not about creating a separate forum, it's about religious discussion at the PD forum. That's why the question was asked here, with the PD regulars in mind. Of course that doesn't mean that only those who post here can give their opinion. Everyone can, so please do. :)

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
If my understanding is correct, you want to talk about censoring talk that touches on religion, because it's controversial.

Controversy is what makes a thread interesting. Wouldn't we be better off enforcing the rules intended to keep the debates clean? No one is forced to take part in or view a thread they're bothered by.

You might also consider the feasibility of declaring religious discussion off limits. You would automatically cripple, if not make impossible, any discussion about the middle east, sex orientation, abortion, aspects of education, and a host of other topics.

This is a bad idea.

·
Nasty Woman
22,583 Posts
at the new forum:

will there be an open bar?

will there be free food?

will you unban Freddie?

·
38,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Humbird said:
at the new forum:
No, no there won't be a new forum. It's about religious discussion at this forum, the Political Debate forum.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
When you create the new Religious Debate Forum, will there be different sections for each of the major religions? It would be a good idea to add a Comparitive Religion area too.

Good thinking with the snacks Hummy.

Krishnamosas, Islambkabobs, Jesusheppard pies, Buddhablueplate specials, (available only till noon)

·
Nasty Woman
22,583 Posts
Boyo said:
No, no there won't be a new forum. It's about religious discussion at this forum, the Political Debate forum.
I thought we already had religious discussion at the Political Debate forum.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Nah leave it here guys.

Tinto, fab idea about the comparative religions. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
16,376 Posts
The question is, should we have religious discussions at Xtratime or not? If yes, the discussions will take place in this forum. If not, they will not take place at Xtratime at all. They will be deleted on sight. This because there has been a long debate about it, and some people are against having any sort of religious discussions at Xtratime.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Orange,

I think it best to permit the users to create a Religious discussion. If it starts to derail of the topic at hand, then just close it. Banning religious discussionsall together does not allow people who are genuinly interested to discuss religion.

·
Registered
17,518 Posts
Well i've already stated before that i'm against religious discussions at the PD forum. Unfortunately i don't think the rules pertaining to discourse are adequately enforced for such discussions to to be genuinely fruitful. There's always a few dumbasses that translate their ineptitude at discussing football to their ineptitude at discussing religion, where their ignorance can become offensive.
Those XT members that wish to discuss religion can always set up another board designed solely or inclusive of religious discussions, e.g. like Glen's old politics forum when political discussions were not allowed at XT.

The bottomline is for beneficial religious discussions to be possible, there have to be parameters which will contravene an individual's right to express unwanted views. I mean, i'm sure a Christian XT member would not want to open a forum where his or her religion is being lambasted on whichever whimsical premise someone comes up with, ditto someone like me when it comes to my religion. I'm not saying critical opinions should not be aired, of course they should but they have to be thought out and bonafide criticisms, not these ridiculously shallow and ignorant 'cheap' shots some members here like to indulge in, whenever a religious discussion arises.

Frankly, i don't think there is anyone in XT's current hierarchy that is suitable to monitor and run a forum where real discussions on religious can be conducted. And i've seen too many negative precedents to know there will always be people here that will take advantage of the inevitably lax moderating, and get their share of potshots.

·
International
5,629 Posts
YES.

Exposing religious frauds is relevant to todays political climate and current events. The middle east political situation for example is inseparable from its religious fraud. Some have even argued that a perfect theocracy is possible and yet they post here advocating separation of religion from politics because they bruise too easily. Talk about hypocrisy.

·
International
5,629 Posts
Absolutely...not even you can be 100% wrong.

·
Registered
11,477 Posts
The only ones against religious discussions are the ones weak in their faith. Take notes Nero. The ones that follow their heathen beliefs truly like me have nothing to fear.

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
Boyo said:
Is this new forum going to be an actual new forum, or are you going to change the name of an existing forum? And who will manage this new forum? New forum?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts