Xtratime Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this a good sign for african football?

My view ;)
It is about time countries like Nigeria, cameroon, south africa, tunisia miss out on the world cup. The only team I still want there is senegal. Atleast they tried last time around. Those countries have embarassed us a lot. So much expectations and they never seem to do anything. The only thing you hear is their constant fights for bonuses. More especially nigeria and cameroon. I don't want to see them there. Lets hope teams like Ghana, Ivory coast, angola, botswana( :D ) make it thru. Maybe they will offer something different.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Good post Mr Burns :)

You're right about Nigeria and Cameroon. Nigeria have not impressed at all in their last few outings. Last WC, they were in the Group of Death and it looked like Christian Chukwu went with the young guys. Cameroon were heavily favoured to qualify to the next round but then just beat Saudi Arabia marginally, lost to Germany in a game they dominated and then tied with Ireland, a game they should have won. Their most painful game was the 1-6 thrashing by Russia in the previous WC, a game that just haunted me :(. Both countries have the talent but it seems the will is just not there anymore

As for fighting for bonuses, it happens in every African NT, unfortunately.

Botswana...hmmm, well, you brought it up!!!!!

·
Registered
416 Posts
Yes the time has come for other african chances to be given the 'chance'. Teams like South Africa only go there to 'dash' points here and there. They shd stay at home and build a new team for the 2010 world Cup. Ghana has always found it dificult to qualify for competitions but never brings disgrace to africa(that is if we choose to desconsider the last Olympic games). A team of Essien,Kuufour,Muntari,Appiah, Mensah, Yakubu and co have the quality to stand any team.

Ivory Coast could be the suprise team at the World Cup and so will Togo.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My concern is that the quality of the best teams in Africa is dropping rather than the second tier nations rising up to meet them. EG: Togo have done really well to top Group 1 but if Senegal and Mali were playing well they would no way bo top. So this whole emergence of other teams is symptomatic of falling standards, not a great improvement in the quality of football across the continent.

·
Registered
35 Posts
for all we care,

qualification for the WC should neither be for sale nor on a policy of rotation. The best teams from the qualifyiers should represent africa. Big name or not, as simple as that. After all you dont stumble across a big name, you earn it. minnows can as well represent africa (zaire 94. 0-9, 0-3, 02 drubbings)

One thing is certain. Nothing is decided yet. Togo, ghana, Ivorycoust and angola are on the driving seats. will they panik and stumble like france (1993) or liberia (2001)?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts