Xtratime Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friends,

Reggina coach Franco Colomba is now the new coach of Napoli. It appears that Di Canio will be coming to Reggio to become the new Reggina coach as they enter Serie A again. Also, it looks like Reggina will be aquiring the services of Ivan Pelizzoli as goalkeeper. Pelizzoli was Roma's second string keeper.

News about Reggina isn't the easiest to find here in America. Does anyone have any other Reggina news to add, confirm or correct?

FORZA REGGINA!!

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
There is a rumor here in Italy that Gianluca Vialli will be taking over Reggina. :eek:

His first signing could be Brescia defender Alessandro Calori and Venezia striker Fabio Bazzani.

There are also rumors that Reggina was really interested in Antonino Asta of Torino but they couldn't afford his wages...

:)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Amoroso,

Thanks for the news. I hear that Vialli was fired or left Watford so he's available. Calori and Bazzani would make nice additions. However, Serie A isn't easy so I hope they can get some highly talented players like they got when they were first promoted. Remember, they had guys like Taibi, Kallon, Pirlo, Cirillo, and Marazzina just to name some. Hopefully, there will be some great news to come...:)

·
Star Player
2,744 Posts
I do hope that Reggina can re-establish themselves as a respectable Serie A side, as southern Italy really needs proper representation there. I think Reggina will do well because they've had preparation for it, maybe they needed that season down there to come back a better team.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
David,

Hi there. How are you?

I'm hoping for the same thing.

It would be nice if there was a Serie A tax that the league would charge all teams (except relegated ones) at the end of the season. They would then divide the tax money by 4 and distribute it to the newly promoted teams. This way, the new teams could get some budget help and put together a better team for the new season.

Let's hope for the best. The league shouldn't stop in Rome when there are nice sized cities like Napoli and Reggio down south.

·
Star Player
2,744 Posts
Napoli need to put their house in order if they are to return to the elite. Bari have a promising future if they continue developing young talent, while I'm not sure if Lecce can keep their best players (Vugrinec, Giacomazzi, Conticchio, Piangarelli) for next season. Palermo and Messina look to be building up their respective challenges.

I mean, most major leagues have teams from all over the place in the top division so why not Italy?

·
Registered
13,198 Posts
What's happening, Lou?! Good to see you, bro.
I'll be following Reggina closely with you this season. Can't wait. Forza South of Rome!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
David,

I think the biggest problems that smaller teams, usually southern, is the ability to hold on to their talent. It may be a matter of more money or time. For example, after Reggina finished their first season, the team was just about dismantled. Players on loan like I believe Kallon was, left. Talented guys like Cirillo were sold to bigger teams. When the smoke cleared, Reggina was reduced to a struggling team barely capable of holding on to A. The real annoying thing about that situation was that the guys who left Reggina went to sit on a bench somewhere.:mad: AAAARRGH!!!

Hopefully with Palermo, Messina, and now Catania I believe, in B, we can hope for more promoted southern teams sometime. We already have Cagliari, Cosenza, Bari, and Lecce in the B mix too. Maybe we'll see something interesting next season too?:)

Primo,

Hey there fellow Reggino!! How's it going?

It's nice to be seen, thanks. Hopefully we will have lots to cheer about when the season begins, even if all it mean is to play yet another season in serie A. I can't wait either!! Serie B just ended and I'm ready for more Italian soccer to start. Hopefully, I'll be able to catch a Reggina game on RAI International.

FORZA REGGINA AND ALL SOUTHERN TEAMS!!!

:)

·
Star Player
2,744 Posts
Yep you're right, Catania is in Serie B for next season. That's a record for southern teams in that division.

Think about this. Look at Chievo's example of establishing themselves in Serie A, as well as how well Atalanta, Torino and Piacenza have all done. There's NO reason why Reggina can't do the same. Another good example, Charlton went down in '99 and returned to the Premier a year later as a stronger team and have since become a Premiership fixture. Take heart from that if you will.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
David,

Thanks for the confidence builder. Your points are well taken. Maybe Reggina can be another Chievo, Atalanta, or a Charlton Athletic (which is one of my Premireship Favorites)? :) I hope who ever becomes the next coach will be as good or better than Colomba when it comes down to working with a tight budget.

Thanks mate!

FORZA REGGINA!!

·
Star Player
2,744 Posts
Well yeah. Colomba did a darn good job with Reggina, and now they'll need someone good to fill his boots. I'm not sure, but there are rumours Mazzone might leave Brescia if he hasn't already- this is a coach with a good record of playing good football with limited resources.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Amoroso, Primo, and David,

Hey guys.

I just got a small bit of news that Reggina is trying to get Carini as goalkeeper!:happy:

Although there are many teams out there that can easily outbid Reggina just to make him a 2nd string GK, it would be great if he would go to Reggio. He would have much to do. I do believe though he will be captured by another giant club and maybe held to play benchwarmer yet again.

Have you guys heard anything?

·
Registered
13,198 Posts
Mazzone is a great coach that respects his players and plays to their skill levels. He is a realist. I like him for the job, but it is unclear if he'll take it. Reggina need to start thinking about prospective stars, not stars. It's obvious we can only afford future stars. So let';s concentrate on building a club with chemistry. That's the key to a winning season!

·
Star Player
2,744 Posts
That's the way to go! I think combining youth with some old heads and journeymen under a good coach should do it. Give a chance to talent denied the opportunity at bigger clubs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts