Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While searching the net, I found the following article:

Juventus have written to the Italian football federation and the referees' association demanding that action be taken to improve the performance of officials after recent controversial incidents.

Juve, third in Serie A, lost 2-1 at Reggina on the weekend after conceding a debatable penalty in stoppage-time. Claudio Ranieri's side felt especially aggrieved after having three strong penalty appeals of their own turned down.

"Juventus again asks the federation to take immediate action to clean up a seriously compromised situation. We need to rediscover faith in referees and reinvigorate Italian football," said the letter which was published on Juventus's website (www.juventus.com).

The club are back in the top flight after spending last season in Serie B having been found guilty of procuring favourable referees in a match-fixing scandal.

"In the course of this season and last, Juventus have always tried to defuse tension with referees ... accepting decisions with fair play, even controversial ones," the letter added.

"In the light of what happened at Reggio Calabria however, it is an attitude we must reconsider. Again in the course of this season Juventus have been damaged in an irreversible way by a decision of the referee."

Italy has a number of inexperienced match officials, partly because of some referees being struck off following the match-fixing affair.

AC Milan vice president Adriano Galliani has suggested foreign referees be brought into Serie A while others say technology must be used to help the officials.

Italian referees' chief Pierlugi Collina has said his officials remain some of the best in the world.

---------

Although quite ironic, Juve have now been dealt with the curse of poor refereeing.

My question is, Is the standard of refereeing poor across the globe? If blunders such as these keep occurring will every title race be decided due to a refereeing decision, rather than good football?

·
Registered
12,028 Posts
Refereeing is not nearly as easy as we commoners make it out to be.
Having said this, some refereeing mistakes simply must've had to have been bribes or pressure from their superiors, at least in Italy.

·
Proud Juventino.
20,505 Posts
Although quite ironic, Juve have now been dealt with the curse of poor refereeing.
We've been ripped of in 4 matches easily, Reggina, Parma, Roma and Napoli, 2 of these 3 games ref's are punched and sent to Serie B as well ...

some say Karma, imo Refs are trying to **** us just to show their "character" ..

Well, they're getting what they deserve.

·
The Ties That Bind
16,234 Posts
If I were at the Italian FA and I got that letter, as soon as I could compose myself from laughing hysterically I would crumple it up and throw it away.

·
Premium Member
11,360 Posts
Good question. Though to b fair to Juve, they had quite a few penalty claims denied earlier in the game.

Anyway, I've said it for some time - video replays should be introduced to help refs. This would vastly reduce the mistakes and would make it impossible for the bribed or under pressure refs to blatantly help one of the teams.

·
Registered
23,900 Posts
Rivals lead Juve backlash
Monday 25 February, 2008

Juventus’ decision to submit a letter to the FIGC complaining about refereeing decisions has met with indignation from the Old Lady’s rivals.

The Bianconeri were left fuming after Saturday’s game against Reggina when they fell foul of some controversial decisions, culminating in a penalty award that cost them a point.

It’s not the first time the Cadetti champions have been on the wrong end of refereeing errors, but the club’s rivals are angry at Juve’s choice to submit a letter to the Federation.

“I am convinced that this will just put more pressure on the referees and make them more nervous,” Inter director Ernesto Paolillo claimed.

“Every team suffers from refereeing errors sooner or later but it can be attributed to bad teething problems for new officials rather than anything sinister like in the past.”

Ahead of Tuesday evening’s derby, city rivals Torino have reacted with little sympathy to Juventus’ complaints.

“Poor Juve, having to be treated like everyone else,” a statement from supporters group Toro Club reads.

“For 100 years their millions of fans have been above all the rules and then suddenly they have suffered like everyone else has against them.”

Toro President Urbano Cairo also feels that the timing of the letter was inappropriate.

“On the eve of a derby certain controversies are out of place and those that use that confrontational tone with referees should be strongly sanctioned,” he roared.

“Juve have their reasons, but it’s the same for everyone.”

Genoa President Enrico Preziosi also scoffed at the Turin giants’ protests.

“For me the letter is tactless,” he said. “If they want to moan then what should we do? If Juve wrote a letter then Genoa should write a book or a dossier.”

C4
I love you Preziosi. :heart:

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
31,893 Posts
Juve should be relegated again for that attempt to influence Referees, Referee-Designator, FIGC, Fans, the public......... that would subsequently influence the result :eek: for the matches after the Public Letter.

Moggi needed to Lock up a Ref for Pressure-Application. This Letter already 'did' that.

Fyi... Turin Derby is Tonight. Juve would play against Mighty Torino. I can see why the letter came at this time :neutral:

·
Registered
14,137 Posts
Genoa President Enrico Preziosi also scoffed at the Turin giants’ protests.

“For me the letter is tactless,” he said. “If they want to moan then what should we do? If Juve wrote a letter then Genoa should write a book or a dossier.”
Write a book about fixing a match?

Genoa should keep their mouth shut. Last season banners with "Juve cheaters" were hanged at their stadium.

Camo's reply in the post match press conference was 10/10.

And why are Inter fans/management laughing now?
A few years ago all you'd hear from inter fans/management was ref this ref that.

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
31,893 Posts
Then you couldnt differentiate between Refereeing ERRORS and Bribed-Decisions.

They are not the same.

·
Registered
14,137 Posts
referee errors?

Somehow these errors are helping Inter and ruining Juve's amazing comeback.

If you think they're referee errors then you've got issues.

And the whole match fixing case was bullshit, the same errors are made after the league was 'cleaned'.

Only this time another team is getting the help.
Moggi did the right thing paying refs.
In Italy if you don't pay refs they'll go against you.

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
31,893 Posts
Moggi did the right thing paying refs.
In Italy if you don't pay refs they'll go against you
Then I guess Vieira did not tip the ref enough and got himself sent off. :googly:

·
Registered
14,137 Posts
A10 said:
Then I guess Vieira did not tip the ref enough and got himself sent off. :googly:
:dielaugh:

Then with that stupid logic you can say Juve never bought a league cause they had a player sent off in a game.;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts